Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
We are all going to be so mad when Pentax comes out with the next big one and we buy it . . . only to find the real next big one comes out the following year.
It's always that way - always next year... Right after I bought the K10, the K20 was announced. I'm waiting now that I finally bought a K20D (it arrives tomorrow )...

01-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am glad that I ALMOST missed this thread. I am excited about the new releases and hope that some of that technology reaches the upcoming SLRs.
01-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Pixel Tracking?

I just learned about Pixel Tracking Shake Reduction, known forever more as PTSR:

"When recording still images, the Optio P70’s new Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing the amount of image blur with a dedicated ASIC. Pixel Track SR tracks motion blur at the pixel level and calculates blur volume in real time. After exposure, the recovery filter centers the motion effect around each pixel to compartmentalize the blur. Then, an adjustment filter sharpens the pixels to help remove the blur effect. Pixel Track SR results in sharp images without adding high ISO noise. "

Any idea how effective this approach is? And how well it discriminates betwen subject motion and camera motion? And what "blur volume" might be? And why one would prefer this approach to optical image stabilization?

I expect that there's some interesting math involved in the computations - math that is carried out (at least partially) in the ASIC to reduce calculation time. ASICs sound expensive unless they're COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf).

Can someone explain this without calculus?
01-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I just learned about Pixel Tracking Shake Reduction, known forever more as PTSR:

"When recording still images, the Optio P70’s new Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing the amount of image blur with a dedicated ASIC. Pixel Track SR tracks motion blur at the pixel level and calculates blur volume in real time. After exposure, the recovery filter centers the motion effect around each pixel to compartmentalize the blur. Then, an adjustment filter sharpens the pixels to help remove the blur effect. Pixel Track SR results in sharp images without adding high ISO noise. "

Any idea how effective this approach is? And how well it discriminates betwen subject motion and camera motion? And what "blur volume" might be? And why one would prefer this approach to optical image stabilization?

I expect that there's some interesting math involved in the computations - math that is carried out (at least partially) in the ASIC to reduce calculation time. ASICs sound expensive unless they're COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf).

I think it was Sony who used something similar on 8mm. video cameras about 15 years ago, if my memory serves me well (sometimes old geezer gets mixed up). They used to call it digital image stabilisation.

01-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop:
Time to sell the K100D and upgrade to the P70, I can take higher res. images and HD video for a wedding all at once!

Crosses fingers for promising SLR models though, need a new body worth investing in further.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
Some time ago, I said that my next camera (and I have about 20) would be a full frame camera. I changed my mind and went wit the K20d and some prime lenses (I am a prime kind of guy).

The only issue I have with some of the posts here are that some people are confronting and view their place as absolute - I gave that away many many years ago. A camera is a camera and little matters if it is not used for the sake of photography.

Lets get over it and move on.

Cheers,
Sigh... I guess there's a reason I rarely post here anymore, everything said is stepped on by someone else. The P70 sounds like a nice camera, I want one I can put in my pocket also and for the features this fits the bill. I just don't want to hold off waiting forever for a body I think is worth spending the little money I do have for features I want . No plans to jump ship but I also can't afford to buy a new model each year just to get a few anticipated upgrades. Like I said, fingers crossed or a K20D it is.
01-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

I can't very well answer most of your questions, but as to why that approach was taken instead of OIS, I reckon it's cheaper to put in a piece of code whose R&D manhours cost can easily be distributed among a mass of cameras as opposed to real hardware that will add to the manufacturing cost per unit, not to mention once they have the code in place, it's also cheaper to include it in future cameras for zero cost (or minimal cost if they decided to improve on the code).

It'll be interesting to see how it works in the real world, if it's effective, and if it degrades image quality by a big chunk.

On a semi-related note, the new iMovie from Apple also includes the option to put in software-based image stabilization to movies in post-production. Perhaps that's (software-based stabilization) a big thing nowadays.
01-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Isn't it odd that the Pentax compacts opted for a software based SR instead of lens or sensor based SR. Just a thought that I had when I was browsing through the Optio lineup. The DSLRs have a sensor shift mechanism SR but they did not apply this to the Optio. Vinzer, is probably right with the cost thing. It is probably expensive to install the SR they have for DSLRs into the Compact Cameras (If it is even possible to install it).

Another idea is probably that they have not found a way to do Lens based image stabilization which is what C**** uses. Or no workaround for the patent on this one. Just a guess though.

01-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inuafrj Quote
Isn't it odd that the Pentax compacts opted for a software based SR instead of lens or sensor based SR. Just a thought that I had when I was browsing through the Optio lineup. The DSLRs have a sensor shift mechanism SR but they did not apply this to the Optio. Vinzer, is probably right with the cost thing. It is probably expensive to install the SR they have for DSLRs into the Compact Cameras (If it is even possible to install it).

Another idea is probably that they have not found a way to do Lens based image stabilization which is what C**** uses. Or no workaround for the patent on this one. Just a guess though.
Optio A series have SR. Those are the only Optios with SR.
01-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Optio A series have SR. Those are the only Optios with SR.
OOoops.. Sorry, My bad didn't see that one. Thanks!
01-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #40
Pentaxian

The P70 looks like a very compact camera. Maybe there is no room for "standard" SR?
01-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #41
Forum Member

It is a space thing? I mean those Optio's are so small, and you'd have to have room for the plates carrying the coils, the sensor mounted on the magnet pcb and movement space in between? The canon p&s with IS seem thicker?
01-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #42
Banned

wow, the P70 is gorgeous! and it has an SMC lens with 28mm to boot. well done Pentax.

oh and it comes in white. hello apple fans, meet your new camera. http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_P70_-_White/
01-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I love the color line-up! Hopefully this will help generate some revenue for the company.
01-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
We are all going to be so mad when Pentax comes out with the next big one and we buy it . . . only to find the real next big one comes out the following year.
Who needs to wait a whole year? Just wait until about 15 minutes after a new DSLR is released and Ogl will start a thread moaning about its shortcomings and speculating/lecturing on what the next year's release will be.
01-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Who needs to wait a whole year? Just wait until about 15 minutes after a new DSLR is released and Ogl will start a thread moaning about its shortcomings and speculating/lecturing on what the next year's release will be.
Sure, Ogl is the *only one* who will do that, right? When Pentax/Hoya announces the new models, I expect this forum to be at least 75% negative, especially when there is no FF body. I'll be grabbing some popcorn and enjoying the fireworks!