Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, prices in Norway isn't that bad compared to the EU market, so I don't care much of how it is organized. Funny thing is that I bought the new ring flash from Amentio and it was delivered directly to me from Aronsen for less money that Fovi bought it from Aronsen. Sounds strange, but so I was told by Fovi. If it is correct, then Fovi has to do something about their prices from Aronsen......

I bought the K-7 from a local photostore in Sandnes for less money that internet stores are selling it for so it seems that the local ones are able to compete.

I think each and everyone of us have to buy where it suits them best. It is not my job to keep local stores alive and pay premium prices, but so far it seems Fovi and the local one are able to compete. Except for the flash. Amentio was 1.000,- kroner less than the others.

05-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

In Sweden, the closure of Pentax Scandinavia and the move to distributor Focus Trading has been very positive. Finally we have a good looking and updated website, it even was one of the sites with a K-7 countdown! Full information on K-7 and the 18-55 and 50-200 WR-kit zooms. Plentiful of other information too and even a nice digital support FAQ. Focus Trading is the largest camera and photographic accessories-distributor in Sweden and distributes many other brands too. Pentax can be found on the major chains and stores.

They have done a good job so far - and the website - PENTAX Sverige - is a nice one.
It took a while for the new distributor get their act together and to really learn Pentax, but now they are doing what they can do enhance the visibility for the Pentax brand.

Sorry about the Norwegian market, I have no information on it.
But in Sweden, Pentax works well.
05-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
They have done a good job so far - and the website - PENTAX Sverige - is a nice one.
Take a look at Pentax Norway - Aronsen AS
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
StigVidar,
The real reason why Pentax prices hasn't gone up in Norway is that we've fared unashamedly well through the financial turmoil so far. The exchange rate of NOK vs. other currencies has been very good for a long time. Particularly vs. SEK.

As soon as we get our feet back down on the ground, the prices will rise here like everywhere else. :-(

I totally agree with Pål, the way FocusTrading (of which Aronsen is a part) handles the Norwegian market is far less than optimal for the brand.

Jostein

05-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #35

Pentax.no is a joke! I love Pentax new managment in Japan, but the decision to change to Aronsen is sad. Allright we haven't really seen if the new Norwegian management will change the marketshare but their promotion as of today is shamefull! And is it really a good idea to have the same company importing and distributing both Samsung and Pentax?
06-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well, perhaps it will turn out for the best?

In the Benelux we had a similar change with Pentax Breda being closed down a few years ago to be replaced by De Beukelaer as a distributor and service centre. Though the first months of the transition weren't easy De Beukelaer pulled through nicely and service in the region has been very good recently. Or at least that is my impression of it...

Wim
Pentax-Benelux : just for the time being, wait till it all goes to France (just like Kodak, Ilford and, once, Hasselblad) and a new Pentax-Europe is created, what is hanging now. We all know how the French are doing business : "... on susse et puis on jette...", I saw it happen on several occasions, a pity for the good people and Six Pack Joe.
Somme countries/regions are to small and fall in the hands of the big (and greedy) boys, but look what happens to GM/Opel and all the like, they will all pay soon or later, but in the meanwhile we are...
06-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Focus Trading in Sweden imports and distributes several brands.
Their distribution lists includes Samsung and Sony, to name but a few.
Still, they're doing a good job for Pentax in Sweden.
And their multi-brand approach is seen as positive here - because of their large distribituion network with many shops that buys from them, it is easier for them to sell in Pentax. They can always say "oh, you have ordered so many Sony's, but may we suggest taking a few Pentax too? They really good you know, why not try a few, we can throw them in a you get a discount on all" and the shops says "well uh oh hadn't thought about Pentax before but oh uh, ok alright then, we can always try".

So by carrying more brands, it has actually been easier to also market Pentax to them.
The shops doesn't have to talk to a separate Pentax salesperson, they can buy everything from their standard salesman, which makes it easier and more comfortable for them to also buy Pentax.
06-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I don't know from which city Pål Jensen and alunfoto are from, but where I am living (Sandnes), Pentax has always been out of local shops. That was the case when Fovi operated and it still is with Aronsen. Who on earth is going to buy a K-m when they have to order it and new Nikons and Canons are on the shelf and a Nikon or a Canon is something they wanted in the first place? Not many. Stavanger and Sandnes is the third most populated area in Norway with nearly as much people as in Bergen. There have been a few "campaigns" where cameras like *istDL has been on the shelf for a few months. Stavanger Foto used to have Pentax, but I am not sure what they have now. Last time when I was there on a big event, there was only Canons and Nikons on display and not a single Pentax. And the place was crowded. For people in Oslo - take a look at the FotoVideo shop. Pentax is something you hide away in the corner where you have to search for it. Has that really changed from 2008 to 2009?

Personally I am very pleased with Fovi. They have excellent service and know their business. I would love to buy my K-7 from them, but I didn't. I ordered from my local shop which also give good service, know their stuff and need support. But it could be interesting to hear from Pål Jensen why the situation for Pentax in Norway in 2007 and 2008 was so good that it should continue. What was the sales volume of Pentax K100D compared to the others?

Again, don't misunderstand me. I am pleased with Fovi as a customer, but I am not sure how pleased Pentax in Japan is.

07-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
....the markets are completely different; some are members of EU and some not.
All but one ("the oil-emirate of Norway") are members of EU.....that beeing since Iceland now also are about to join ranks....

Ha'de / Matti (fra Östtröndelag, dvs Härjedalen, Sweden )
07-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Photo-Vet Quote
All but one ("the oil-emirate of Norway") are members of EU.....that beeing since Iceland now also are about to join ranks....

Iceland have applied. To me it is 100% certain that the people in Iceland will vote no to membership. Having lived there for two years I know it is twice as hard to get Iceland into EU than Norway in spite of them being bankrupt!

It may well be that the new distibutor make a good job in Sweden; they don't for Norway. The change of Pentax in Sweden is due the closure of Pentax Scandinavia in Sweden. Pentax Scandinavia had nothing to do with the Norwegian Pentax distributor who dealt directly with Pentax Europe or Pentax Japan. The sorry mess for Norway is due to the fact that Hoya regards Scandinavia as one market now, so that the changes in Sweden affects Norway as well.
07-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Personally I am very pleased with Fovi. They have excellent service and know their business. I would love to buy my K-7 from them, but I didn't. I ordered from my local shop which also give good service, know their stuff and need support. But it could be interesting to hear from Pål Jensen why the situation for Pentax in Norway in 2007 and 2008 was so good that it should continue. What was the sales volume of Pentax K100D compared to the others?

Again, don't misunderstand me. I am pleased with Fovi as a customer, but I am not sure how pleased Pentax in Japan is.

Fovi managed to give Pentax a decent marketshare. Most importantly, the managed to cultivate a pretty solid Pentax fan user base which was their way to compete with Nikon and Canon for the more advanced users. In addition, they kept a near complete stock of everything Pentax; only the more exotic on order only items were missing. The new distributor have only minimum stock. The change of distributor in Norway is only negative so far. The organization around FOVI goes back to 1964 as Pentax distributor.
Now Fovi works as the country largest Pentax dealer with larger stock than the distributor. I hope they survive. Without them Pentax in Norway will loose most of their enthusiast base and the service department that stocks parts for all Pentax SLR's made!
07-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by alunfoto Quote
Dear all,

The turn of the year has brought dramatic change to Pentax' representation in the Scandinavian market. Needless to say I am P**sed by this business decision at Pentax centrally. I do not know if this is Pentax Europe's doing or Pentax Japan. In my opinion they are most likely cutting off the branch they sit on.

Alunfoto: A dramatic change for Pentax in Scandinavia

Short resymé:
Pentax branch office in Sweden closed down.
Distributor rights for all scandinavian countries withdrawn from existing companies and handed to a company more directed towards large-chain electronic stores.
Pentax Norway has retained the service department for the Norwegian market.

Jostein
This appears to be the identical approach taken by Pentax in the USA. Therefore, it is most likely Hoya's decision to slowly withdraw entirely from this markets.
07-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picked up my K-7 yesterday. Noticed that they are distributing the cameras with documentation in Swedish language only. The distributor has not bothered to have the documents translated into the languages of the countries they are supposed to serve!

This is not merely dismal customer service, but outright illegal. According to consumer legislation vital documentation must be made available in the language of the country. Giving a hint to customer protection authorities might not be a bad idea at all! If this is the way they are treating their customer I will not put up with this. Other option do exist!
This sure doesn´t look good...

Last edited by PePe; 07-28-2009 at 05:23 AM.
07-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Picked up my K-7 yesterday. Noticed that they are distributing the cameras with documentation in Swedish language only. The distributor has not bothered to have the dokuments translated into the languages of the countries they are supposed to serve!
A few weeks ago I bought a K20D from TopShot. The manual included was in Swedish, but luckily I noticed that right away. The store had Finnish copies available so I took one. Swedish seems to be the default language -- Finnish manuals are probably sent by request?

Still, Swedish is an official language of Finland
07-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Now Fovi works as the country largest Pentax dealer with larger stock than the distributor. I hope they survive. Without them Pentax in Norway will loose most of their enthusiast base and the service department that stocks parts for all Pentax SLR's made!
I second that! A very friendly service department indeed (although they didn't have an LX back in stock when I needed one ).