Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A dramatic change for Pentax in Scandinavia

Dear all,

The turn of the year has brought dramatic change to Pentax' representation in the Scandinavian market. Needless to say I am P**sed by this business decision at Pentax centrally. I do not know if this is Pentax Europe's doing or Pentax Japan. In my opinion they are most likely cutting off the branch they sit on.

Alunfoto: A dramatic change for Pentax in Scandinavia

Short resymé:
Pentax branch office in Sweden closed down.
Distributor rights for all scandinavian countries withdrawn from existing companies and handed to a company more directed towards large-chain electronic stores.
Pentax Norway has retained the service department for the Norwegian market.

Jostein

01-06-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is not looking good ...
01-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These changes have taken place gradually and very quietly during the last months of 2008. These changes affect all countries in the region. I guess it is part of the restructuring process going on all over.
It is true that Pentax´s market presence has been minimal for the last years. This operation may (hopefully) increase the brand´s visibility to novices and beginners. What happens with the dedicated distributors, as well as advanced/ serious amateurs may be a different story.
Fortunately they seem to be committed to keeping a local service/repair center in all these countries. Without this I think I would really be forced to draw my own conclusions. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see how things unfold. I guess the forthcoming new product launches will give some indication about the future developments.
01-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This doesn't affect me BUT I can't help but feel sorry for the Nordic users.

Business decisions and right-sizing can be painful.

01-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm all for making things more efficient and getting products in large store chains for extra visibility, but I do hope they don't lose the die-hard brick-and-mortar specialty stores. I do a lot of shopping in specialty stores, and I find service there to be better than large store chains, not to mention the sincere answers I get when seeking advice from the specialty store people, as opposed to a lot of big-store salesmen who'd rather look out for the bigger spiffs and commissions.
01-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm buying a Canon.
01-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, perhaps it will turn out for the best?

In the Benelux we had a similar change with Pentax Breda being closed down a few years ago to be replaced by De Beukelaer as a distributor and service centre. Though the first months of the transition weren't easy De Beukelaer pulled through nicely and service in the region has been very good recently. Or at least that is my impression of it...

Wim

01-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is truluy bad news. Fovi had excellent and personal service. Good to know that Pål is still servicing Pentax though.

Is this an indication that Pentax will only make low end cameras for the masses sold through electronic chain stores?
01-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #9

The first time I tried out a Pentax was at a local specialty store. Turnes out one of the owners is a long time Pentaxian. Only later I found out that it was quite uncommon to sport Pentax as a chosen brand. Good thing though, because it was that display that eventually led me to purchase my K100D. Later I bought a screw drive mount trough directly trough nordic pentax. I kind of appriciated that they were around with their know how.

I cannot help but to think these kinds of desicions are short sighted.
01-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

interestingly how nordic users lost their pentax dealer.

over here in croatia, pentax dealership is one of the best dealerships ever - pentax lineup (full range - p&s cameras, dslrs, lenses, accessory, binoculars) is visibly present in all major tech supermarkets, and everything is promptly available.
01-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm buying a Canon.
Ignoring the fact Pentax had a very good year in Romania? Or you're just loking for an excuse?
Btw, there is a Pentax meeting in Bucharest this Friday. PM me if interested.

About what's happening in the northern Europe, I hope things will start gradually improving - I doubt Pentax really want to get out of there.
01-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well, perhaps it will turn out for the best?

In the Benelux we had a similar change with Pentax Breda being closed down a few years ago to be replaced by De Beukelaer as a distributor and service centre. Though the first months of the transition weren't easy De Beukelaer pulled through nicely and service in the region has been very good recently. Or at least that is my impression of it...

Wim

Well, as I see it the problem is that the new Pentax distributor is in Sweden. I'm in Norway. The distance to me is almost the same as from me to New York. I'll buy my Pentax gear from B+H hereafter! Its much cheaper anyway.
01-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm buying a Canon.
Again?

Vand Canon EOS 20D + Grip BG-E2 - Softpedia Forum
01-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ignoring the fact Pentax had a very good year in Romania? Or you're just loking for an excuse?
Btw, there is a Pentax meeting in Bucharest this Friday. PM me if interested.

About what's happening in the northern Europe, I hope things will start gradually improving - I doubt Pentax really want to get out of there.
Just joking. Had a Canon 20D for a while and didn't like it at all.

I had no idea Pentax had a good year in Romania. I'm a bit surprised they've done so well considering how much focus94 charge for lenses. Body prices are ok.

I've heard they're selling quite well in France too.
01-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Never thought you'd be this slow.