Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
ogl is getting impatient because there are no substantial rumors, so he's making up some of his own to keep the ball rolling.
Well, at least it makes more sense than the square sensor rumour.

02-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
Pentax won't make a 645D, and even if they somehow managed to, the back alone would cost $50k, so it's not like anyone here will be buying one.

Not 50k for sure. Theres an interesting opportunity here; the camera developing cost has already been writtin off as loss. It was developed before the Hoya takeover. The camera body itself isn't that expensive. Its mechanics is based on the film 645's. The electronics indentical to a K-series DSLR; most likely the K20D. Its mostly a matter of sensor costs...
02-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Well, at least it makes more sense than the square sensor rumour.
It don't believe that the square sensor can be qualifies as a rumor; just wishful(?) thinking. I can find no source for this rumor....
02-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #214
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not 50k for sure.
Phase one P65+ is $40k and it's not quite 645. Hasselblad is making a 645 as well, but given that their 50mp 36x48mm back costs $40k, it's likely to cost a lot more. Why would Pentax be any cheaper?

02-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I don't get what you mean in the bolded part of your quote.

Putting aside the use of a mount adaptor...
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't get it: first you put aside the use of a mount adaptor, but then you mention it as a virtue of Pentax.

The last big plus is that, when Pentax ceases to exist; I can still use the M42 lenses on any brand of body I choose
^This is what I meant. Not only the lenses (which can only be used on a "Minolta" body), but the good ol' Memory Stick. I see lots of people going for Canons or Nikons because they can share lenses with others. So why use a proprietary memory card?

M42s can be used on pretty much any system (save Nikon and Sony for infinity issues). PK is usable on Canon. Nikon F are usable on Canon and Pentax. Contax is possible on PK. The list goes on...
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Samsung plan to show FF DSLR this year and launch it in 2010.
Pentax plan to launch 645D this year.
Source? I'll believe it when I see it.

"If it sounds too ridiculous to be true, it's not true"
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #216
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

"If it sounds too ridiculous to be true, it's not true"
I have to disagree with you there Ryan, in my experience the opposite is often true. How many times have you heard someone say "You couldn't make it up."?

If you had said "If the price is too good to be true it's not", then I would have agreed with you.
02-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #217
Pentaxian

That phrase is actually Judge Judy's

I'm still not going to believe we'll see both a FF cam AND a MF cam this year until I see one or both...
02-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #218
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasselblad | 503CWD SLR Digital Camera Kit with 40mm | 3011040

503CWD - 36*36 mm 16 MP with 40 mm lens - USD13000

Hasselblad | H3DII-31 SLR Digital Camera Kit with | 70380550

H3II - 33.1 x 44.2 mm, 31 Megapixel - USD18000

Hasselblad | H3DII-39 SLR Digital Camera Kit with | 70380530

H3DII - 36.7 x 49.0 mm, 39 Megapixel CCD - USD22000

The price will depend on sensor price. If Samsung can make MF sensor cheaper than Kodak -
645D could be cheaper than Hassy.

02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #219
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
It's a lens thing. If you make them, they will come. Camera bodies come and go. They are obsolete before they break even with the up-front investment. Lenses are mostly forever and it's what people ultimately invest in.

If you want people to become Pentaxians, they need the support of a lens inventory. Without a competing inventory, they will always be limited on market share with ALL their products as people will buy the body for the system that has the right selection of lenses to attach to it.
This was well said.
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Actually the font for the Pentax logo on the K20D and newer cameras were tweaked slightly from the previous models (K10D and earlier). The letters are now narrower and taller. Personally I prefer the older style with the lower x-height. Take a look between the camera models and you will know what I mean.
Agreed, the logo has changed significantly on the K20D. Not a spectacular or new worthy change, but a change.

I photographed all three of my Pentax cameras. One can see how much more elongated the logo is on the K20D and how the last two letters have now merged (I wonder if that is symbolic?).
Attached Images

02-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
You just want Pentax to be the same as Nikon and Canon, but thats suicidal. Even Sony are taking a beating financially to break in. Everyone just compares like for like features and buys the big name brand.
Sony began its downward slide in the first quarter of 08, but it is for many reasons. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Sony, but I wouldn't blame it all on their entry into the DSLR market. They are not actually re-inventing the DSLR, considering that they acquired Minolta assets in 07.

Canon, Nikon and Sony are like GM, Ford and Chrysler. Leica is Porsche perhaps but Pentax ought to think more like BMW than Nissan or Toyota. BMW has been incredibly successful without ever having made a cheap car or a model range with more than 5 platforms. In fact they built most of their success with just three cars, the 3 series, 5 series and 7 series and it was the 3 and 5 that made them a global brand - and they are still independent and profitable.
Whoa there! While I agree with your Leica analogy, your analogy of Canon and Nikon is far too broad! Keep in mind that Canon and Nikon also make a Porsche-equivalent professional line of DSLRs. Furthermore, I would also place the Canon 40D and 50D in the, at least, BMW category.

The real issue with the camera business is lack of imagination. Every mainstream camera brand is in a rut making the same cameras for the same mass market snappers. Thats why people complain about this feature or that feature because they are all so similar there is nothing else to compare.
On the surface, I can agree with you (I have certainly complained). However, I also understand that several factors limit any manufacturer from building the 'ultimate' product that is everything to everybody. That is: time, money, cost. Considering that Pentax has cut their R&D budget in half, I worry about how imaginative their next DSLR will be?
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The latest failure is not to been able to carry their significant MF userbase into the digital age. That was Pentax last major advanced user group.
This is not entirely true.

Just as Pentax cameras cannot use screw mount lenses (M42) without an adaptor, the same is true for both Canon and Nikon.

In fact, it is possible to obtain adaptors for just about any lens for just about any camera body. However, some will not allow infinity focusing without using an optical mount adaptor.

In the spirit of what you stated, it is true that Pentax's PK mount has enjoyed a longer life-span (without significant change) longer than the rest of them. You can't argue with a great design. :-)

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #223
Veteran Member

I think "MF" in this context is Medium Format not Manual Focus.

So I would agree, Pentax has not carried their Medium Format users into the digital age.