Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure lots of people went wow when the white K-m was launched.

Only it was more of a "wow...".

01-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Forget camera bodies guys, how about a larger range of quality lenses. Canon have a great range of L series lenses and Pentax has a tiny range of DA* lenses. How about a DA* 100-400 to match Canon? Or a DA* 100-300. Pentax already makes great camera bodies, the K20D is great. The lenses are another issue all together.
I def agree with that, and I have been saying it for a long long time now. No sense in making entry-level cameras if you have to pair it with a $600 lens, that just maked no sense. There is no reason that every prime lens has to be a 'LIMITED' of 'DA*'. I am glad that there is the DA17-70mm to option off the DA*16-50mm and the DA55-300mm to option off the (upcoming) DA*60-250mm, but what after that. There is a range between amature and pro that Pentax really needs to address. Every lens that they make a DA* and LTD, they need to strip it down and make it a regular lens.

But I digress...
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm one of the ones who wouldn't mind having a small evf body with interchangeable lenses. The pancakes would work great on such a body. As long as the evf screen has good resolution and brightness, it wouldn't bother me at all. If Pentax were to come out with a body like that, then I could easily be persuaded to buy a DA70 to go with the FA43 and the DA21 that's on it's way.

As for lenses, I'd like to see some of the less expensive ones with weathersealing. Even if I could afford the DA* series zoom lenses, they're just plain too heavy. My 55-300 is a lens that I don't plan on parting with anytime soon, but if they were to come out with a MkII version with weathersealing, then I'd have to reconsider; I'd be OK with paying a little more for weathersealing. While the DA17-70 is on my lens radar, I still wouldn't mind seeing Pentax extending the range a little bit more in the way of a 16 to 18-105, in which case, I'd be OK with variable aperture, as long as the IQ is otherwise good.

Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 01-07-2009 at 08:00 PM.
01-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think a sweet EVF body would be awesome, and maybe take it to another level, or improve on the areas that the Pano slumped on.

01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

As for lenses, I'd like to see some of the less expensive ones with weathersealing. Even if I could afford the DA* series zoom lenses, they're just plain too heavy. My 55-300 is a lens that I don't plan on parting with anytime soon, but if they were to come out with a MkII version with weathersealing, then I'd have to reconsider; I'd be OK with paying a little more for weathersealing. While the DA17-70 is on my lens radar, I still wouldn't mind seeing Pentax extending the range a little bit more in the way of a 16 to 18-105, in which case, I'd be OK with variable aperture, as long as the IQ is otherwise good.

Heather

Yes I am all for a smaller, cheaper and sealed lens. Pentax should have made a sealed kit lens and bundled it the sealed bodies (K200d/K20d) so they can say the whole package is dust proof and water proof. Currently the DA* are nice but it is too expensive (for me) by having too many goodies all in one (premium quality, constant aperture and weather sealed) while I just want the weathersealing.
01-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #21
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they need something like K10 was in 2006. Matched all that competition had to throw at it, plus added weathersealing and SR!!! I'm not quiet sure what new features will be but they need to kick some buts again! Hopefuly they can raise the bar again, and match something like D300 this time...
01-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #22
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm sure lots of people went wow when the white K-m was launched.

Only it was more of a "wow...".
agree here!!!
I saw it this week in one London store, and I went "wow, that looks really bad..." on internet it doesn't look bad, but in real life it just looks like a toy. As good as K-m can be, the B&W treatment just doesn't cut it for me...
01-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #23
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm one of the ones who wouldn't mind having a small evf body with interchangeable lenses. The pancakes would work great on such a body. As long as the evf screen has good resolution and brightness, it wouldn't bother me at all. If Pentax were to come out with a body like that, then I could easily be persuaded to buy a DA70 to go with the FA43 and the DA21 that's on it's way....
....Heather
I don't think EVF body would be much (if at all) smaller than K-m. Even without mirror box you need to keep the distance between sensor and lens in order to keep the lenses usable. What I'd like to see though would be body without grip (something like OLY 4xx series), with two e-dials (if Ricoh can fit two on compact why we couldn't have two on small dslr), of course SR, K20D sensor, multiple exposure, RAW button, AF and EV buttons, and programable (more then now) green button, to go with pancakes...
my 2p

01-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #24

Build a camera with three e-dials, ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed. Place the third aperture e-dial, or slider (it doesn't need to completely rotate around), on the front left of the camera, in proximity to the mount.

Remove mechanical manual focus from a set of SDM only lenses and incorporate a electronic manual focus wheel into the camera body or maybe the lens itself. The wheel would have an accelerometer so that slowly turning the wheel offered precise small incremental change in focus and faster turning would move the focus in quicker larger incremental step, think computer mouse acceleration.

Implement focus bracketing by the camera with this as well. The camera body only needs the ability to step the SDM and disengage the AF at the same time. Use this to create an on camera wizard for lens focus adjustment. The camera steps though focusing on a target and the user picks the most accurate focus.

Take the electronic manual focus and apply it to specialized macro lenses with very small, i.e. tiny, precise step motors for focus changes. This would eliminate the need for a macro focus rail, provide for an image stacking feature in camera.

Make a weather sealed flash. They should have done this when they introduced the weather sealed lenses.

Integrate a ACRA style L bracket into the body of the camera.

Add lens distortion profiles, down to focal length on zooms, to the chip on the lenses and have that information be added to the exif of a photo so that the distortion can be removed with a software tool. This should correct vignetting, distortion, and if there is a way CF/PF.

Take a few rows of the sensor and mask them with a transparent material that creates 18% gray. Use this for color balance. Why can't you build a expodics like tool on part of the sensor? I can live without a few thousand pixels when we are talking 15 million.

Integrate live view into the USB connection so that it can be used for tethered shooting.

Remove the USB port and move to wireless USB.

Create a real focus trap tool for all lenses. A simple menu item to tell the body to not send current when activating the AF is all that is needed.
01-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It's sad to say that these days there are a very big buissnes for model photo, product photo, and press photo (much of them speeds up the consuming crazyness that we live in today) So pentax would need a big camera (in the terms of the mark II&III models) for appeal as a serios brand in today market. One big flagship like that would put them on top together with Canon and Nikon maybe...This flagship don't need anything very better then the k20d but a robust flagship like Mark II&III or D3 is important to draw eyes to the brand.
Pentax have maybe 2ways to go. One is like a legendary entusiasm-brand like Leica, or a proffessional brand like Nikon and Canon. But to stand on the half way like panasonic or Sigma....don't appeal todays market. At least not the photographers I have speak with
Go pentax!

Saludos

Emil
01-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #26
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
It's sad to say that these days there are a very big buissnes for model photo, product photo, and press photo (much of them speeds up the consuming crazyness that we live in today) So pentax would need a big camera (in the terms of the mark II&III models) for appeal as a serios brand in today market. One big flagship like that would put them on top together with Canon and Nikon maybe...This flagship don't need anything very better then the k20d but a robust flagship like Mark II&III or D3 is important to draw eyes to the brand.
Pentax have maybe 2ways to go. One is like a legendary entusiasm-brand like Leica, or a proffessional brand like Nikon and Canon. But to stand on the half way like panasonic or Sigma....don't appeal todays market. At least not the photographers I have speak with
Go pentax!

Saludos

Emil
Makin big camera (in which ever meaning you mean it - unless big=legendary) wouldn't put them on top with C&N (look at Sony or Fuji). It's the performance/price/compatibility/usability ratio that makes it popular with users, therefore sells it, increases market share and puts in on top...
personaly I don't have problem with where Pentax is at the moment, I'm too new to the brand/photography to have a problem with K20 being the flagship. I understand some people, that invested heavily into lenses over the decades, making living by photography may not be comfortable with the idea of K20 as a flagship, and would like something more...
Panasonic is nowhere close to be anywhere between the two streams (legendary enthusiasm or pro) you name, they are just another brand trying they luck...
If Pentax would decide to go anywhere from now, I hope it would be Leica way. I really wouldn't like to see more and more models with cheap plastic built, P&S features from Pentax. I like that they are "in between" at least there is an alternative for people, who want bang for buck and not a brand name for buck...
BR
01-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Makin big camera (in which ever meaning you mean it - unless big=legendary) wouldn't put them on top with C&N (look at Sony or Fuji). It's the performance/price/compatibility/usability ratio that makes it popular with users, therefore sells it, increases market share and puts in on top...
personaly I don't have problem with where Pentax is at the moment, I'm too new to the brand/photography to have a problem with K20 being the flagship. I understand some people, that invested heavily into lenses over the decades, making living by photography may not be comfortable with the idea of K20 as a flagship, and would like something more...
Panasonic is nowhere close to be anywhere between the two streams (legendary enthusiasm or pro) you name, they are just another brand trying they luck...
If Pentax would decide to go anywhere from now, I hope it would be Leica way. I really wouldn't like to see more and more models with cheap plastic built, P&S features from Pentax. I like that they are "in between" at least there is an alternative for people, who want bang for buck and not a brand name for buck...
BR
Well, I do see your point. The thing is that I don't want pentax to go with the big two. The thread was about what would make a WOW product. And that is not the way I hope that pentax go. I would follow your example of that Pentax goes like Leica. Leica are a fantastic brand for serios photographers and if they didn't have so expensive cameras and lenses I would probebly have a leica now together with a pentax. I hate sonys plastic competition modells like A700...it feels like a toy camera. But I have heard that sony have win much pentax clients becasue of the FF camera A900...so a flagship do a little differens, and a big camera from pentax would be a WOW product for me, but it does'nt mean I want pentax to go that way I think the k20d have enough for most of us demands

Great quote anyways

Regards

Emil
01-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #28
axl
Inactive Account

I don't think FF would be a WOW model from Pentax. It would simply be caving in to demand of a few (even if numerous few). Pentax are clearly pushing for APS-C, and I hope they stay commited to that format for forseeable future.
WOW model difines new category, f.e. I have to again say, how K10D did in '06. For the money it was the best camera around, matching 95% of the performance of D80 and 30D and bringing a lot more (SR + weather sealing) for roughly of 2/3s of the price of the competition. That's a WOW product! Nikon's D200 & 300 were WOW products when they came out.
As you pointed just stuffing camera with features (as Sony A700) doesn't make it wow. They need something new, something that's missing...
what it is, I really don't know at the moment... (maybe 645D would be WOW camera)
BR
01-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

It's a lens thing. If you make them, they will come. Camera bodies come and go. They are obsolete before they break even with the up-front investment. Lenses are mostly forever and it's what people ultimately invest in.

If you want people to become Pentaxians, they need the support of a lens inventory. Without a competing inventory, they will always be limited on market share with ALL their products as people will buy the body for the system that has the right selection of lenses to attach to it.
01-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about a no nonsense compact like the LX3 (or whatever come to your mind), or better, a fixed focal length compact with 4/3 sensor. Let's face it, Pentax DSLR product cannot turn any head outside the Pentax community and "quality" compact DC is their only hope. But sadly Pentax seem to be too hooked on the lowly Optio series.