Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #46
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I would love to know how many new members we get a day/week versus how many converts we lost in that time frame.
Hmmm...that would be an interesting stat. In my opinion people who have legacy products (they purchased in the 70s and kept till now; grandpa's lenses; dad's college K1000) are more likely to stay.


I now remember what camera my friend wanted...the D90. What's the only feature she knew? The video recording, of course.

01-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America's First Wilderness
Posts: 358
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
What will it be? Pentax needs a product that will get people, other than the ones in this forum, talking about it again. WIll it be a new P&S, DSLR, a new feature/technology or something even better?

I, for one, have liked what I have seen so far from Pentax. The totally out of the box thinking of the K2000, in black and white, and the two new P&S models jhust released.
The K10D was that for Pentax.

But typical of Pentax. it coudn't/didn't follow it up with a WOW!!

It might just be that I really want to see this, but I also truly believe that old school enthusiast would genuinely love an MX-D or LX-D type camera. Full metal, solid built, sealed, ultra compact, but not entry level. Full control layout like the K10D/K20D.

Basically, something to truly mount the Limiteds to and feel like the camera and lenses are made for each other. Afterall, you have these impressively built lenses but no cameras for them.
01-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #48
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America's First Wilderness
Posts: 358
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What I'd like to see, and what I think would impress a lot of people, is a compact DSLR that doesn't try to be everything for everybody.
Small, an excellent build quality to match that of the Limited lenses, with a basic feature set designed for the enthusiast, not for the tyro.
I'd also like to see the lens line fleshed out, but frankly, this isn't a WOW thing, this is just something they should be doing if they want to be called a camera company.
One of the things I've noted when I have beverages and camera talk with the Nikon and Canon boys that I spend time with is how impressed they are with the Limited lenses, and how unfair they think it is that they can't get anything like them from Canikon.
A body matching the philosophy of the Limiteds (compact and high end build and performance) would be a product that would get attention.
What won't wow anyone is a fleet of low end cameras, and unfortunately, the present trend seems to be lowering the bar, and then lowering the cameras to meet the new expectations.
I really think Pentax needs to go the other way.
We must have been separated at birth or something!!!

Let's get a ticket to Pentax headquarters and explain this idea of an MX-D that we can mount the limiteds on.

My only request are sealed, metal, and have dual control wheels (since we don't have aperture rings anymore!!!). You can find me tracking down a tickets on travelocity.
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #49
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Photos: Albums
Posts: 588
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
We must have been separated at birth or something!!!

Let's get a ticket to Pentax headquarters and explain this idea of an MX-D that we can mount the limiteds on.

My only request are sealed, metal, and have dual control wheels (since we don't have aperture rings anymore!!!). You can find me tracking down a tickets on travelocity.


These are great ideas. As a total n00b hobbyist, I find the Leicas and Panasonic Lumix LX3 to be really nice, classically designed cameras. The look like cameras, not like buggered cell phones. It would be great to have a compact dslr that looked like the old metal bodied cameras, and given Pentax's history and lens compatibility, it wouldn't look goofy at all. Perhaps an inroad to the artsy hipster crowd as well.

01-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #50
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
Original Poster
There have been a number of replies to this thread, more than I expected, some good, some not so good and some off the wall. I think, when I first thought of this, was what kind of product could Pentax make that would not neccesarily make US go wow, but the people who have thought Pentax was left for dead go WOW!

The best example of that to date was the loved/hated WHITE K2000! Some went "wow, Pentax, how could you" but I don't think those people quite got what I think Pentax was going after, and the other day I believe they got it. When they showed the camera at CES and Engadget reported that the White KM2000 was the SEXIEST camera they have ever seen... yeah, that is some serious WOW right there. Wether or not they sell out of the limited run of that model or not, people are going to be talking about it, and that is all that matters. In marketing, it is believed that there is no bad publicity, it's all good. So wether you are talking about how much you hate the white model or how much you love it, what matters is that you are talking about it. IMO that was a fantastic springboard item to launch into 2009 off of. And making it a limited run means, loved or hated, you are not tied to it for a long period of time which is a brilliant move.

So I guess I am now waiting to see what is next from them...
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #51
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
How about a no nonsense compact like the LX3 (or whatever come to your mind), or better, a fixed focal length compact with 4/3 sensor. Let's face it, Pentax DSLR product cannot turn any head outside the Pentax community and "quality" compact DC is their only hope. But sadly Pentax seem to be too hooked on the lowly Optio series.
yes, I even did not think about Pentax P&S... not for a second when I had to replace my 6+ years old Nikon E4300.... Panasonic got my dollars.
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #52
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: minneapolis
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21
They would make a wow if they made the kit lens weatherproof.
01-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
yes, I even did not think about Pentax P&S
You would have if you are into kayaking or fishing. The W60 is fairly well respected (as is the Olympus Stylus 770SW, 1030SW, uTough series which Olympus seems to be putting a more work into than Pentax)-:

01-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #54
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by bergfire Quote
They would make a wow if they made the kit lens weatherproof.

not likely. despite the fact that the 18-55mm was better in both optics and build quality than the canon and nikons, and the newer 18-55mm II is again better than the current canon and nikons in all the same ways. it will go unnoticed and/or unrecognized by most people especially canon and nikon users. i agree, that it would be a good idea, and would like to see it, since the kit lens is every bit as important and usable as the rest of the DA series but I really don't think it will do anything for the brand. of course I could be completely wrong.
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #55
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
How to attract bulb geeks

I am not sure that my suggestions would make a WOW camera for most buyers, but these are some features that could impress some prospective buyers with a particular field of interest...

- Bulb mode: why on earth do I need a cable release (or whatever it is called in english) to lock the shutter in an open position for long exposures at night? It should be very straightforward to include a programmable bulb-mode, where the photographer just sets the desired shutter time (be it one minute or one hour).
- More bulb mode: the possibility of having a clock showing on the screen, indicating how long the shutter has been open would be a welcome feature in some situations.

I realize that these functions are probably only interesting to a small share of the buyers, but the implementation costs should also be fairly low (I suppose), as these are (I still suppose) changes in the software only. As no other brands (to my knowledge) offer such functions, it could help getting an extra edge...
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #56
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Neru Quote
I am not sure that my suggestions would make a WOW camera for most buyers, but these are some features that could impress some prospective buyers with a particular field of interest...

- Bulb mode: why on earth do I need a cable release (or whatever it is called in english) to lock the shutter in an open position for long exposures at night? It should be very straightforward to include a programmable bulb-mode, where the photographer just sets the desired shutter time (be it one minute or one hour).
- More bulb mode: the possibility of having a clock showing on the screen, indicating how long the shutter has been open would be a welcome feature in some situations.

I realize that these functions are probably only interesting to a small share of the buyers, but the implementation costs should also be fairly low (I suppose), as these are (I still suppose) changes in the software only. As no other brands (to my knowledge) offer such functions, it could help getting an extra edge...
very interesting ideas. although I always wanted them to allow the use of mechanical cable releases, as it would be as easy as changing the shutter button. either way very interesting indeed. and welcome to the forum by the way.
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #57
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
Well, as much as it's been denigrated, I'd say the white K-M was an easy move for Pentax. When non-camera sites like Gizmodo and Engadget spend posts specifically about it, I'd say it's creating a buzz.

Now, for a "wow" product, I think the 645D would leapfrog all the full-frame discussion and just put Pentax back into the hands of many pros.
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #58
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Pentax needs a WOW product ... What will it be? Pentax needs a product that will get people, other than the ones in this forum, talking about it again. WIll it be a new P&S, DSLR, a new feature/technology or (snip)

At this point, given the range of products on the market, there isn't much a company can do in a pure camera to really wow customers all that much today. Lets face the fact that people are not just going to rush out in herds to buy a camera with a touch screen display, a full-frame sensor, GPS features, or whatever. It's all been done, without the herds as a result. Thus, I don't think endless new features are the answer.

Pentax had the right idea with the K10D - a feature rich camera with a truly ground-breaking price. The company moved away from that thinking slightly with the K20D (it was cutting edge for a 14.6 MP camera, but not really ground-breaking), garnishing somewhat less attention as a result. The K20D has finally reached that ground-breaking price, but it's too late with people's attention now diverted elsewhere. Lets hope Hoya/Pentax doesn't make the same mistake with the next generation of cameras (the K2000, with it's lower MSRP, suggests they might not).

Ultimately, I think Pentax has to continue coming out with products that remain fairly competitive with the big two in terms of features, while working hard to hold prices down. But, just as importantly, Pentax has to find new ways of reaching new users or those disenchanted with the big two.

With that in mind, the wow factor you're seeking may actually be in new ways of marketing their products - less emphasis on retail stores, for example, with greater emphasis on direct internet marketing. A world-wide retail website, featuring their consumer products, and a good many of their repair parts, all in one place, with brisk delivery anywhere in the world, might be a good place to start.

Afterwards, they could slam every magazine, from travel to women's to photo, with smaller ads pointing repetitively to that website. Blanket television ads, 15-seconds or shorter, could do the same. This would increase Pentax's visibility, while providing potential customers with an immedate way (the website) of checking them out.

stewart
01-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #59
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,361
For me it would have to be a FF pro spec digital version LX.
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What I'd like to see, and what I think would impress a lot of people, is a compact DSLR that doesn't try to be everything for everybody.
Small, an excellent build quality to match that of the Limited lenses, with a basic feature set designed for the enthusiast, not for the tyro.
I'd also like to see the lens line fleshed out, but frankly, this isn't a WOW thing, this is just something they should be doing if they want to be called a camera company.
One of the things I've noted when I have beverages and camera talk with the Nikon and Canon boys that I spend time with is how impressed they are with the Limited lenses, and how unfair they think it is that they can't get anything like them from Canikon.
A body matching the philosophy of the Limiteds (compact and high end build and performance) would be a product that would get attention.
What won't wow anyone is a fleet of low end cameras, and unfortunately, the present trend seems to be lowering the bar, and then lowering the cameras to meet the new expectations.
I really think Pentax needs to go the other way.
I agree. I want Pentax to make cameras that photographers use as their travel and hobby camera, even if they have to use a Nikon or Canon at work. They just have to get that desirability factor right.

I dont want to buy the camera that paparrazzi use to look up Madona's dress, I want the one Ranulph Fiennes takes to the North Pole or the one chosen for space missions or for photographing volcanos.

And I dont think they need to worry about soccer mums and gear heads and label junkies because there is already more than enough "stuff" for them to drool over as it is.

Heck I'd even pay a premium to get quality if I could guarantee that my lenses were properly built, and my camera was properly calibrated. On such attention to detail are reputations made and lost. The weather sealing is a bonus but without the QC its not much use.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5... Wow wow wow wow wow!! Hugely impressive. 65535 Pentax K-5 85 11-08-2010 08:45 PM
What do you think is the most exciting product of Pentax this year? rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 43 10-13-2010 06:23 AM
Pentax product development roadmap - who/what is responsible? Nass Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 04-14-2010 02:24 PM
Where to purchase Pentax Product mtneye Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 11-17-2009 01:45 PM
Pentax K-m product broschure falconeye Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 09-22-2008 05:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top