Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What I'd like to see, and what I think would impress a lot of people, is a compact DSLR that doesn't try to be everything for everybody.
Small, an excellent build quality to match that of the Limited lenses, with a basic feature set designed for the enthusiast, not for the tyro . . . . . . . . A body matching the philosophy of the Limiteds (compact and high end build and performance) would be a product that would get attention.
I'd love to see exactly what you're talking about (something with the elegance of my LX bodies). I don't know whether it would generate strong sales*, but I'd be the first in line to buy one.

Jer

*I dimly - very dimly - recall reading many years ago, in either a photo mag or a business publication, that the LX was a commercial disappointment and never generated the interest or the sales Pentax hoped.

01-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #62

For me, I'd like to have some WOW-lenses, for example the FA* 2.8/28-70, 2.8/70-200, FA* 1.4/85 and maybe a middle-class super tele like the sigma 150-500. I would really love to have them back, I would buy them immediately. I wish the'd start producing them again, maybe just with lighter materials to match the line of K-m or so. But that's for me personally :-)

I think Pentax needs a real flagship to compete with big two and now Sony + Olympus which expanded their market share. BUT of course Pentax should differentiate itself from other company's top cams with really really innovative and useful features. Of course my suggestions would be nice but definitely no WOW-features for a camera.
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I personally think their current products are great, just a lot of people don't know enough about Pentax to seek one. Here in the US, I think a good marketing campaign would do wonders. I think a great commercial during the Super Bowl like this would do - Have a slide show of award winning photos from past to present made with Pentax equipment captioned with their dates at the bottom of the screen (1960's to present) - finally a voice over "All these great photographs were captured with Pentax cameras and lenses... Introducing the Pentax (fill in the blank). A camera capable of making images like these and more... even capable of using the same lenses that made these great photographs... Be... Be Interesting..." Then a machine gun presentation of great pictures with a snare-roll in the background - with a sudden silence and just the Pentax logo in the middle of the screen with a fade out. It's really all about the drama to suck the people in - something Pentax has lacked in.

-Brian
01-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I also believe that a touch screen with controls like the Iphone or Ipod touch would be a big wow factor. If it's poorly implemented, it's still would have wow, cool factor. If implemented correctly, it could be more than wow and cool, and very helpful.

01-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
I also believe that a touch screen with controls like the Iphone or Ipod touch would be a big wow factor. If it's poorly implemented, it's still would have wow, cool factor. If implemented correctly, it could be more than wow and cool, and very helpful.
Pentax have tried that with the Optio T series, so have Nikon.

They don't work very well...

Maybe Pentax should get Palm to design the touch interface, as it seems the new Prē is excellent in that respect.
01-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #66

How about a real entry level DSLR? 6-8 mp, fast sensor, AF assist lamp, kit zoom, kit fast prime, small and light, under $500. Oh, and the biggest thing, get the camera into the stores!!!!! Hell, Kmart used to carry Pentax, now I cannot find one to hold in Chicagoland. And I'm not buying one unless I can touch it. I love my Super Program and have a couple primes for it. Nowadays I get it processed and digitized to disc, or else use my Panasonic LX7 for direct digital.
01-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #67
Pentaxian

They can't go back in resolution.
A real entry level DSLR is the K-m. In Romania (and other parts of Europe), the single lens kit is around 400 euro.

01-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'd love to see exactly what you're talking about (something with the elegance of my LX bodies). I don't know whether it would generate strong sales*, but I'd be the first in line to buy one.

Jer

*I dimly - very dimly - recall reading many years ago, in either a photo mag or a business publication, that the LX was a commercial disappointment and never generated the interest or the sales Pentax hoped.
It got a lot of respect, though. At the time, the LX wasn't tremendously *unique,* really. It was like an F-1N, only Pentax and smaller. Nowadays, something along the lines of an LX-inspired Limited-lens-matching body really *would* be pretty unique. I wouldn't be too surprised if one comes along once they have the stuff to put in it really perfected, at least.

I don't know about sales, in particular, but it'd be that prestige.
01-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It got a lot of respect, though. At the time, the LX wasn't tremendously *unique,* really. It was like an F-1N, only Pentax and smaller. Nowadays, something along the lines of an LX-inspired Limited-lens-matching body really *would* be pretty unique. I wouldn't be too surprised if one comes along once they have the stuff to put in it really perfected, at least.

I don't know about sales, in particular, but it'd be that prestige.
After following the Pentax news/press releases/interviews closely for a year up to the release fo the K-M, I had come to the conclusion that Pentax will never make a "limited" body for the long time Pentax fans. Someone even said as much in one of those interviews.

The realization of this is one of the saddest thing of my fandom. Now I have zero expectation of it.
01-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Somebody mentioned a weather-sealed kit lens, and I don't think that's totally out of the question considering they're talking about "rebranding" around the weather-sealing.

But I'd really like to see a small, light, tight "limited" camera like Wheatfield mentioned. Whatever you gotta do, Pentax (except reducing the sensor size )!

I just bought a K-m as a travel cam, but definitely would've spent more to get a small, pro kit.
01-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
they need a camera that when placed next to competitors will push them off the ledge... that'd be pretty "wow"
Battlebots meets dSLRs youre right that would be wow
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I kinda like the sound of this but it's economic suicide. It's basically Leica but a little cheaper

I think they could build it and maybe break even on it but the money comes from the bottom end of the market. The Km is dissapointed for me but to a degree addresses the market need (though LV was a massive oversight).

I hope they can do something to pull in some $$$ and free up some cash to refine a few things. The SDm motors have been a dissapointment and QC has slipped but with enough cash they can get on top of it I reakon.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I agree. I want Pentax to make cameras that photographers use as their travel and hobby camera, even if they have to use a Nikon or Canon at work. They just have to get that desirability factor right.

I dont want to buy the camera that paparrazzi use to look up Madona's dress, I want the one Ranulph Fiennes takes to the North Pole or the one chosen for space missions or for photographing volcanos.

And I dont think they need to worry about soccer mums and gear heads and label junkies because there is already more than enough "stuff" for them to drool over as it is.

Heck I'd even pay a premium to get quality if I could guarantee that my lenses were properly built, and my camera was properly calibrated. On such attention to detail are reputations made and lost. The weather sealing is a bonus but without the QC its not much use.
01-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #73
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
(though LV was a massive oversight).
I've read more than a few times that LV is not possible with the 10mp Sony sensor, and that's the technology they had to reuse so as not to spend a fortune on R&D, and get a cheap camera out there into the 'I don't know what it all does, but I look better with this proper camera as aposed to that little p&s' market :-)

As sugar said, 'stack'em high sell'em cheap' if they sell enough the profits can go back into developing all those new WOW features.

Peter
01-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
I've read more than a few times that LV is not possible with the 10mp Sony sensor.

Peter
Indeed, the 10Mp Sony CCD is unable to do LiveView (which would have been possible with another sensor like 12Mp Sony CMOS).
01-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
I've read more than a few times that LV is not possible with the 10mp Sony sensor, and that's the technology they had to reuse so as not to spend a fortune on R&D, and get a cheap camera out there into the 'I don't know what it all does, but I look better with this proper camera as aposed to that little p&s' market :-)

As sugar said, 'stack'em high sell'em cheap' if they sell enough the profits can go back into developing all those new WOW features.

Peter
Alan Sugar is an idiot. Most of his low end electronics products have been a disaster.