Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax needs a WOW product...

What will it be? Pentax needs a product that will get people, other than the ones in this forum, talking about it again. WIll it be a new P&S, DSLR, a new feature/technology or something even better?

I, for one, have liked what I have seen so far from Pentax. The totally out of the box thinking of the K2000, in black and white, and the two new P&S models jhust released.

01-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Banned

I think the P70 will be quite a success for Pentax. im still hoping for a small form factor DSLR with interchangeable finders! I don't know though what Pentax needs. apparently its faster AF, higher buffer and a FF sensor. I will be happy with whatever they release so its hard for me to speculate.
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

they need a camera that when placed next to competitors will push them off the ledge... that'd be pretty "wow"
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

IMHO they need a camera that differs. Pentax already does stand out, but it should even more. Pointing out its amateur orientation, take an advantage of its underdog status, introduce unique, not superior (as not trying to compete directly, not by making bad/weird products) products. It does not need to match ****on, it has to make something that ****on does not have to offer at all.
As for now if you take a look at the offer from various companies in similar price-class range, you'd basically get the same cameras with the same prices, with minor differences.

Low end range/entry level. Basic dslr camera with reduced size, some additional features and some limited capabilities for each manufacturer. Same form factor, same image quality, even the same sony sensors. Similar situation with advanced amateur etc. Its not a real camera choice...just a feature choice between same things.

Maybe during the years this has proven to be the most usefull form of camera, and i may be very wrong with my idea. But if you look at film cameras, there was such a variety of camera designs. Still only few have tried producing different type of camera with APS-C sensor, most resulting as expensive experiments. Some kind of manufacturer self-sufficiency, considering the extended design posibilities of digital devices (comparing to film), and many people who use DSLR's just for the APS-C benefits (Quality, dof) and exchangable lenses.

Does removing the mirror box, grip, decreasing registration distance and adding some non TTL or contrast AF adds so much costs.. many artsy people would love to have such a camera always by their side instead of bulky, obtrusive DSLR. Do they make such profit of lenses..? Make K-mount adapter then.
If there was a compact sized (a long the lines of canon's G's or Ricohs GR's), APS-C camera, having a small, decent, bright'ish(<=f2.8) wide-normal prime , having entry level DSLR price (and most controls - dial, hotshoe etc), many would choose it instead, others would buy this as a secondary camera instead of these 1/x" noisy evils to carry all day around.

Btw, anyone knows where can i get any APS-C sensor cheaply and how much it is for those in current DSLRS?

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-07-2009 at 06:12 PM.
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Forget camera bodies guys, how about a larger range of quality lenses. Canon have a great range of L series lenses and Pentax has a tiny range of DA* lenses. How about a DA* 100-400 to match Canon? Or a DA* 100-300. Pentax already makes great camera bodies, the K20D is great. The lenses are another issue all together.
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
An electronic viewfinder camera with both shake reduction and *focus* built into the sensor.

With a register distance that can mount any SLR or ranger finder lens ever made.
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

*cough* touch screen *cough*

01-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
*cough* touch screen *cough*
That'd be interesting.... are there any DSLR's in existence that have a touch screen?

Also i'd feel sorry for people with big noses.. heh
01-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Damn you aperture, stop changing when I look through the viewfinder!
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
What will it be? Pentax needs a product that will get people, other than the ones in this forum, talking about it again. WIll it be a new P&S, DSLR, a new feature/technology or something even better?

I, for one, have liked what I have seen so far from Pentax. The totally out of the box thinking of the K2000, in black and white, and the two new P&S models jhust released.
I'll say WOW if they ever release the 60-250, although I am no longer planning on buying one.
01-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'll say WOW if they ever release the 60-250, although I am no longer planning on buying one.

Salty
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How about a APS-C based camera that out-performs a 5DII at ISO 6400. Granted thats a Samsung thing but still!!!

That would make for a big WOW
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #13

I am a relative noob but I would like to see a body mod that moved the viewfinder back so that your nose isn't up against the LCD. It would also be nice to have a good LCD Live-View that tilts.
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Forget camera bodies guys, how about a larger range of quality lenses.
Yup! As far as I'm concerned, they Wow'd me with the K20D. Still do.
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
I am a relative noob but I would like to see a body mod that moved the viewfinder back so that your nose isn't up against the LCD. It would also be nice to have a good LCD Live-View that tilts.
They have a few on ebay every now and then, though most are magnified eyepiece extensions.