Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
all it takes is several people to take the camera where nikon and canon cannot go and then brag loudly about it. Still waiting for more people to show up.

over an F1 car, i`d take a more nimble Subaru which can do 100% track, outdoor and street rather then an F1 which only works on track. The only reason for pros choosing F1 could be the money and sponsorship deals and many will argue on this but track racing is safer compared to the races the Subaru can enter.
I think the Subaru metaphor is a pretty apt one, maybe a similarity Pentax ought to trade on, or at least keep in mind when they choose their directions in design and marketing.

It actually might not be such a terrible idea, speaking of marketing budgets, to sponsor some Subaru-driving rally car teams.

02-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #182
ogl
Banned

Pay attention that the user has only 4 posts and registered on June, 2006.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/postersprofile.asp?poster=hhixididhzid

Maybe it's true - K3D with 23.5*23.5 mm sensor.

The rumor about APS-H sensor is old, it was before K20D.
Before K10D, there was the rumor about Samsung sensor.

Square sensor 22 Mp with main APS-C 14.6 MP mode is cool.
It's much better than classical APS-H sensor 28*19 mm.

If we have a look at the situation with Pentax lenses and economical situation at photo market, square sensor is the genius and great move of Pentax.
The area of sensor is a bit more than classical 3:2 APS-H sensor.
It could be top camera of Pentax for a long period.

Let it be!!!
02-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
The way I see it Pentax (the *new* Pentax IF that means a more innovative company) should also shed like an old skin a lot of his "supporters" and maybe attract more open minded ones as it's true niche. I understand that some folks with a K100D suffer from the irony of their dorm mates (guys with Rebels and D40s tops) because "we have no FF". I doubt that any top camera is targeting them anyway. I don't understand though why real creative people like Kelly talk about this as a bad idea without other arguments than "Pentax should see his nose length (a saying we have here) and don't try to innovate just be the poor guy who gets whatever table leftovers the big guys throw at him.

The way I see it it's better for Pentax that all the other companies explain to their current and prospective customers why their APS-C cameras are better with 14-15 Mp and we have an totally useless 22Mp on a 1:1 crop plus the "classic" 14.6 Mp in the same price range. I mean who in their right mind would make such a picture of a landscape for example and latter chose the most interesting part? Only a lunatic I can assure you!

It's funny that other than smart remarks no one here disputes whatever that guy wrote on the other forum. There were plenty of details yet nobody seems to fault those details but the idea itself. And yet not so long ago a lot of people were saying that for K30D or whatever all they wanted is a faster AF in some situations and a bit more fps. They will probably get a new AF and 5.5 fps in the "normal" 14.6Mp plus an integrated grip, plus a bigger viewfinder, plus a bigger and movable LCD (with SMC coating nonetheless ) plus an easy way to change from portrait to landscape mode YET they don't like the extra 7 Mp that they are free NOT TO USE.

I don't know about you guys but IMO if Pentax doesn't innovate now it may never have another chance. And not because "the sky is falling" but simply because the niche of being always a year late and a feature short will become less and less anybody's favorite place.

Radu
I like the idea. And the details are believable and not too outlandish at all. But you do have to pay for those 7mp that you are free not to use - they aren't free.

It has implications for the RAW format and how it will handle the cropping in PP. Also I'd be interested to see how this supposed sensor and cropping will work in the viewfinder...

And of course who will make such a sensor - will it need a new fabrication process?
02-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #184

I read in PopPhoto a couple of months back about this photog who actually masks his lens (masking tape, black cardboard or I don't know...) to make his photos into a "square" format. I think it would be cool for Pentax to have an option for the square format, but not a totally square sensor.

I think the next big innovation for cameras will be the live histogram in the viewfinder. I was hoping the K20D would have it and now I'm hoping the next Pentax cam will have it.

02-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I think the next big innovation for cameras will be the live histogram in the viewfinder. I was hoping the K20D would have it and now I'm hoping the next Pentax cam will have it.
k20D already has that...it is called "Live view." Since a histogram represents the number of sensor pixels at a given light level, I don't think you can have a DSLR with histogram in the viewfinder unless it is an EVIL type (but then it is not an SLR.) Remember in an SLR, the sensor is not exposed until you press the shutter.

Some day, if EVIL viewfinders are as fast and accurate as the optical type, you can then eliminate the mirror, and pentaprism, and the camera also becomes smaller. You could also then have the live histogram like they do on point and shoot cameras. Auto ISO then becomes easier as well, because you never have to worry about blowing out highlights. The ISO could be automatically set by the histogram instead of a separate light sensor. Also, auto focussing becomes more accurate because you can have true feedback control between the image to be taken, and the focus ring of the lens.

I think right now the problem is that image processing is still far too slow for EVIL to compete with SLR. That is why P&S cameras are so slow compared to our SLR's when you include focus, metering, and exposure times.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-13-2009 at 02:17 PM.
02-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dsle

You have Panasonic G1, a micro 4/3(or M43), it´s not slow but the viewfinder is bad in low light.
We can call it DSLE = digital single lens electronic. Almost everything is about electronic in such a camera...
02-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #187

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
No, no square format. Ever. Consumers do not want square format, only 5 people on this forum and on dpreview.
The most obvious reason for never releasing such a camera, actually. The people at Hoya's marketing would have a hard time explaining the advantages of such a sensor over the FF (or tha APS-C, for that matter) to potential buyers.

Unless the K3D is meant to be an APS-C 645D. There again, big job for the marketing department...

Not seaworthy enough for the stormy seas of today's DSLR market.

But with a better economical situation, such a product could be innovative enough to find its place somewhere in this market. As a niche product, of course.

02-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
The most obvious reason for never releasing such a camera, actually. The people at Hoya's marketing would have a hard time explaining the advantages of such a sensor over the FF (or tha APS-C, for that matter) to potential buyers.
I disagree with that. There are so many justifications that marketing could make. Lets name a few:

"Never have to rotate your camera back and forth again between "landscape" and
portrait""

"The first DSLR that will allow you to use all your lenses to thier full capability."

"The highest megapixel count and best ISO performance camera in it's class"

We can go on and on. The time has come for this. I suspect the 3x2 film format was standard on film not because anyone preferred it, but because it was less expensive for the film companies to use the existing movie film format.
02-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Pentax......(well the company was actually “Asahi”…not Pentax)…. First company to sell 10 million cameras. A camera that had many firsts. 35mm was consumer (minus one attempt at a pro camera LX). Pentax was huge in the pro market with 645 and 67. Between 35mm, 645 and 67, 3 lines of lenses, accessories..etc etc.
I bring this up because many of us bought Pentax on that name recognition from 30 years ago. Pentax needs to get back to the same game plan. A new 67?...not necessarily. The only reason for having a large format was to have a large enough square of film so the chemicals could react in the detail needed for the prints we have all seen published over the years. Highly debated, but digital is still trying to reach the quality of 67...60mp with matching clarity. The only sensor close enough was/is Kodak.....although I haven't heard anything from them in a year or two. Sorry Sony…Canon….you are not there yet.
Canon and Nikon have had Pro cameras for action / photojournalism for years. Pentax's bag has been landscape / portrait. Bring out a pro line that can slap on old 67 glass.....opening a whole new market for new glass as well….perhaps, but with digital, it doesn’t need to be big. What ever way they go, a Pro line might not sell a lot of units and might loose a bit, but Pentax would become legitimate again....where people don't mind recommending the “k” 35mm….because they obviously produce cameras that really are "that" good.
02-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #190

645d

02-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
We can go on and on. The time has come for this. I suspect the 3x2 film format was standard on film not because anyone preferred it, but because it was less expensive for the film companies to use the existing movie film format.
There was really nothing stopping them from going 24x24 instead of 24x36 as the film is 24mm wide. Just like there was nothing stopping them from going say 24x48...
02-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #192
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Forget camera bodies guys, how about a larger range of quality lenses. Canon have a great range of L series lenses and Pentax has a tiny range of DA* lenses. How about a DA* 100-400 to match Canon? Or a DA* 100-300. Pentax already makes great camera bodies, the K20D is great. The lenses are another issue all together.
NicholasN I agree. I would like to see more quality glass. Compeditors are unveiling lenses at an alarming rate and Pentax seems to be asleep at the wheel.
02-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #193
Inactive Account

This is just my opinion, and like yours it's worth about as much as you paid for it, but I think Pentax is doing just fine. They've been wowing me since 1964, and thats all they need to worry about.

Rodney...
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #194
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Hm yea, i never really did consider Pentax till i did my research on camera's available on the market.

Like, Sony has amazing marketting on their consumer goods. Over at David Jones, Sony has an entire section dedicated to them, glass enclosures showing off their cybershots and alphas and even some of their accessories!

Nikon and Canon have their names - people just come to them cause well, too many people have them so word travels..

Pentax would lead the way if people saw them. I think the limited White K2000 might actually grab people - people enjoy gimmicks and limited stuff (so i guess they ARE trying to do some marketting)
Marketing is a must! When I decided to go digital, I never considered Pentax (they were all but invisible) until I did some research. And, in side-by-side comparisons with other entry-level dslrs, Pentax won in a walk! I wonder how many folks do extensive research and how many just go with "conventional wisdom?" Not many do the research, it seems. Pentax should remember: "Out of sight, out of mind."
02-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #195
ogl
Banned

Nikon will offer WOW product...
Nikon MX System

Not Pentax