Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax has been 'wowing' me with things like, 'Wow, this isn't *ahem*ing me off in ways in which I used to take not being *ahem*ed off for granted. '

Through careful market research, I have in fact determined that one out of one me's vastly prefer not attempting to do photography with equipment that costs five bills, or a grand or two, but is still a computer exposed to the elements.

Insanely-high ISO capability might 'wow' me, but actually, I'd prefer to *avoid* certain wow. Like I dealt with for many years, "Wow. I can't afford a decent prime lens. Wow, that's a lot of money for inferior-to-film image quality... Or, 'Wow, they finally updated the 5d and the video is an *excuse* for it not working so well at its primary purpose.' Or... 'Wow. How many damn megapixels do I need to put a 640x580 image in the blessed Internet?

Wow, the computer that can downsample that is expensive.

Wow, I think I'm wanting something that'll do the job and not fry.

Till the dust settles, don'tcha know.

The way I see it, really, is that either Pentax is gonna come out with some really solid and trustworthy stuff over the next several years, or... I'm either to be making enough money to either discard digital entirely or cope with Canikon stratification, ...or... Hooped like usual, anyway.

Why panic?

You know? In the meantime, I have this *fine* piece of machinery. I'd like to see Pentax stay with making the good stuff. If they don't, well, I've been there before.

02-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #197

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'll say WOW if they ever release the 60-250, although I am no longer planning on buying one.
Same here, unfortunately.
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax doesn't really need a wow product but consistency. They have had plenty of wow cameras over the years, many best in class, but they have consistently left their users high and dry by not developing them further. The end is listless as they say. The latest failure is not to been able to carry their significant MF userbase into the digital age. That was Pentax last major advanced user group.
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax doesn't really need a wow product but consistency. They have had plenty of wow cameras over the years, many best in class, but they have consistently left their users high and dry by not developing them further. The end is listless as they say. The latest failure is not to been able to carry their significant MF userbase into the digital age. That was Pentax last major advanced user group.
Unfortunately this is true to the last word.

02-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
There was really nothing stopping them from going 24x24 instead of 24x36 as the film is 24mm wide. Just like there was nothing stopping them from going say 24x48...
Exactly! The cinema standard was 18x24 (a rectangle) and the guy who designed the first Leica just doubled it to have the film run horizontal instead into a 24x36 rectangle. He could had done it 24x24 (and some other manufacturers tried but their format never got popular). The rectangular format got more popular I believe mainly because we have two eyes and are therefore used to seeing with a wider field of view in the horizontal than in the vertical. If we had only one eye square format would probably rule: square cinema, square television, square magazines, square computer screens, square printer paper, square camera format..., but as we do have two eyes these are all in rectangles.
02-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
*cough* touch screen *cough*
Bite your tongue!

Certainly NOT at the expense of real, physical, mechanical buttons!

Have you ever used a touch screen on a camera before?

My Sony TRV-70 video camera is a touch screen nightmare. It is a load of crap when it comes to making on the fly changes. And Sony added the touchscreen as a replacement for mechanical buttons!

Trust me, the dirty finger printed screen, the screen that won't work well in the humidity, the need to use a pen because some of the functions are weeee tiny and hard to reach without overlapping another function, the bumping the camera as you press the screen, navigating through an impossible navigation screen.... NAH, it's not worth it!
02-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I'd like Pentax to do some marketing.

I was talking to a friend last night (she likes taking pictures, has a bridge cam, but doesn't know what the F means or ISO etc) and she said Best Buy has a Nikon-something SLR package for some price. She won't order over the internet for the same reasons my parents used to give back in the mid-90s when the net became mainstream...losing CC info, lost packages, etc.

She even wanted a Sony Alpha series because it has a tilt screen like her Sony bridge. Despite expensive lenses, terrible handling, and basically incompatibility with anything else out there...that ONE feature sold her. Had I not told her, she would have bought one at BB.
I don't get what you mean in the bolded part of your quote.

Putting aside the use of a mount adaptor:

Pentax is only compatible with M42 and PK mounts,
Canon is only compatible with FD (or EF, etc... depending on camera) mounts,
Nikon is only compatible with F-mounts,
and finally,
Sony Alpha is only compatible with the Alpha and the Minolta mount.

So all camera makes are technically incompatible with anything else. It's debatable who has more lenses. Even the old Minolta mount has a very large collection of lenses available to the new Sony DSLR.

02-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I don't get what you mean in the bolded part of your quote.

Putting aside the use of a mount adaptor:

Pentax is only compatible with M42 and PK mounts,
Canon is only compatible with FD (or EF, etc... depending on camera) mounts,
Nikon is only compatible with F-mounts,
and finally,
Sony Alpha is only compatible with the Alpha and the Minolta mount.
I don't get it: first you put aside the use of a mount adaptor, but then you mention it as a virtue of Pentax.

By the way, I've basically given up on buying K-mount lenses as M42 lenses are still the only lenses that are really mount-independent. And they are full frame too. There are millions of M42 lenses out there, trashy ones but also lenses of *very* high quality.

The last big plus is that, when Pentax ceases to exist; I can still use the M42 lenses on any brand of body I choose
02-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't get it: first you put aside the use of a mount adaptor, but then you mention it as a virtue of Pentax.

By the way, I've basically given up on buying K-mount lenses as M42 lenses are still the only lenses that are really mount-independent. And they are full frame too. There are millions of M42 lenses out there, trashy ones but also lenses of *very* high quality.

The last big plus is that, when Pentax ceases to exist; I can still use the M42 lenses on any brand of body I choose
In all fairness, the ratio of "trashy" M42 lenses to good ones are fairly small, compared to the numerous 3rd party K-mount lenses that are, well, "trashy". Even the Russian lenses are darn good.
02-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #205
ogl
Banned

Samsung plan to show FF DSLR this year and launch it in 2010.
Pentax plan to launch 645D this year.
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It would be neat if they did what Sony did with the A900 - show a mock-up, make it known that it's full-frame, but not release any other details other than a projected release date.

I'd buy one.
02-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #207
ogl
Banned

Samsung makes 21 MP sensor
02-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax plan to launch 645D this year.
Ogl,

Bold statments. Can you share your source?

What do you see that leads you to believe the 645D is back, and that Samsung will be the one to release FF?
02-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Ogl,

Bold statments. Can you share your source?

What do you see that leads you to believe the 645D is back, and that Samsung will be the one to release FF?
ogl is getting impatient because there are no substantial rumors, so he's making up some of his own to keep the ball rolling.
02-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #210
Forum Member

Pentax won't make a 645D, and even if they somehow managed to, the back alone would cost $50k, so it's not like anyone here will be buying one.