Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Know what I mean, there, Vinzer? The stock screen in this k20 does wonders with a kit lens, but I didn't spend this money to be shooting 50mm 5.6 zoom lenses. Nor suffer metering errors with simple stopdown metering.

They should make the proper thing for, say, almost everyone on this board. Old fashioned screens for fast lenses ought to do it. Pentax finders are good. Lens compatibility is good. They should be making the thing that lets us use that.

Maybe even make something that suits the reality of the times, instead of letting engineers be too proud to make a focusing aid.

We'd buy it.

(Besides, no one ever made a successful camera system by saying, 'No you can't' to photographers. If I'd been OK with the bigger brands saying, 'We can't make this, it might hurt sales of these things we'd like you to buy cause we won't make a good screen for you' I wouldn't *be* here.

Pentax doesn't have everyone drooling over Limited lenses by saying, 'Sorry, we don't think you need a zoom,'

They're about something else. Hopefully they stay there. If they don't, there's always film. Or the stuff others drop when they are trying to stay on the tech curve.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-09-2009 at 07:49 PM.
01-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That's the kind of thinking that means I don't have a canon or Nikon by now, though. I'm actually talking about not making their customers go to third parties to cut down K1000 split screens, but actually making proper ones *for* both digital and manual focus. Lose the split prism, for instance. Give a nice bright matte circle to confirm autofocus and manually have precision: Leave the microprism collar, for quick and good manual focus. Lose the brightening that's meant to make a kit lens look good in a shop, but rather give full benefit of all these Limited primes and fast zooms. (as in, what I call a 'Ratzeye screen'.)

ie, stop telling us we don't need focus aids and make the darn things right instead of sending us to aftermarket chop-shops.
Sounds interesting, but it's something I doubt Pentax is working on, or feels a need to be worked on. They could make a bit of money, though, by offering different screens that aid in manual focusing.

Couple dummy contacts. People fake it with tinfoil all the time, apparently
Hmm, I don't see how that adapter with dummy contacts help with telling the camera what focal length the lens on the adapter is. Or maybe I misunderstood your idea for that adapter.

AA's have always essentially sucked in photography. Old-school as I am, and hating the possibility of obsolescensce, no. Not missing em too much. Make a battery pack I can plug in with them if I'm going that far off the grid. Otherwise, ....use common cell phone batteries or something.
My personal take on batteries is that battery packs are okay, just as long as they're commonplace and standard. It would suck to have a perfectly functioning DSLR in the future but have no battery available for it (I guess it's debatable how long DSLRs will last, though, making my worry possibly moot).

Know what I mean, there, Vinzer? The stock screen in this k20 does wonders with a kit lens, but I didn't spend this money to be shooting 50mm 5.6 zoom lenses. Nor suffer metering errors with simple stopdown metering.

They should make the proper thing for, say, almost everyone on this board. Old fashioned screens for fast lenses ought to do it. Pentax finders are good. Lens compatibility is good. They should be making the thing that lets us use that.

Maybe even make something that suits the reality of the times, instead of letting engineers be too proud to make a focusing aid.

We'd buy it.

(Besides, no one ever made a successful camera system by saying, 'No you can't' to photographers. If I'd been OK with the bigger brands saying, 'We can't make this, it might hurt sales of these things we'd like you to buy cause we won't make a good screen for you' I wouldn't *be* here.

Pentax doesn't have everyone drooling over Limited lenses by saying, 'Sorry, we don't think you need a zoom,'

They're about something else. Hopefully they stay there. If they don't, there's always film. Or the stuff others drop when they are trying to stay on the tech curve.
Got it. We'll have to see what accessories they come up with in the future, see if they've got what you want, though.