Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2023, 06:20 PM - 15 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New firmware for all current models and K-1 (Astrotracer and Focus Limiter)

There are a set of new firmware updates for Pentax cameras today.

They add Astrotracer 2 & 3 modes to cameras that didn't already have them and also add the focus limited function for the HD PENTAX-DA 35mmF2.8 Macro Limited.

K-1 - Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
K-1 II - Latest PENTAX K-1 Mark II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
K-3 III - Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
K-3 III Monochrome - Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
KF - (Does not add Astrotracer Type 2 & 3) Latest PENTAX KF Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Last edited by JPT; 12-12-2023 at 03:22 AM.
12-06-2023, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! Haven't updated my K1ii for a while...I'll grab it now!
12-06-2023, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's cool. Thanks.

They still haven't extended the focus limiter to other lenses, though, have they?

-Eric
12-06-2023, 06:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads up

12-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool. Been waiting for the other astrotracer modes to come to the K-1ii.
12-06-2023, 07:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There are a set of new firmware updates for Pentax cameras today.

They add Astrotracer 2 & 3 modes to cameras that didn't already have them and also add the focus limited function for the HD PENTAX-DA 35mmF2.8 Macro Limited.

K-1 - Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
K-1 II - Latest PENTAX K-1 Mark II Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
K-3 III - Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
K-3 III Monochrome - Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Monochrome Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
KF - Latest PENTAX KF Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Regarding the KF, there seems to be an error in the English version of the changes from V1.30 to V1.31.

Under [Enhanced features] there is the addition of Astrotracer Type 2 and Type 3. However, the 'Function Expand Firmware' page linked from the 'Latest PENTAX KF Firmware Update' page does not include the section 'Type 2 and Type 3 added to ASTROTRACER function' as it does for the K-1 and the K-1 Mark II. In addition, the Japanese version of the changes from V1.30 to V1.31 does not mention the addition of Astrotracer Type 2 and Type 3.

I therefore assume that these features will not be added to the KF with V1.31.
12-06-2023, 07:11 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Regarding the KF, there seems to be an error in the English version of the changes from V1.30 to V1.31.

Under [Enhanced features] there is the addition of Astrotracer Type 2 and Type 3. However, the 'Function Expand Firmware' page linked from the 'Latest PENTAX KF Firmware Update' page does not include the section 'Type 2 and Type 3 added to ASTROTRACER function' as it does for the K-1 and the K-1 Mark II. In addition, the Japanese version of the changes from V1.30 to V1.31 does not mention the addition of Astrotracer Type 2 and Type 3.

I therefore assume that these features will not be added to the KF with V1.31.
I see the difference from the Japanese page. Probably a copy-paste error.

If itís confirmed Iíll change the opening post.

12-06-2023, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be nice if that Astrotracer firmware could be added to the KP. I'm thinking that I'll be finding a K-3III in my future.
12-06-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, awesome news! Thanks for sharing!
12-06-2023, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Thanks! Haven't updated my K1ii for a while...I'll grab it now!
Neither have I... as always, I'm curious about whether the stability enhancements etc. actually are noticeable in any way.
12-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a neat firmware update for the Astrotracer. Not sure what mode 2 is good for. It would seem to be a compromise that will blur both stars and foreground. Mode 3 is a lot like what amateur and professional astronomers are using and bases corrections on actual star movement rather than GPS data. They use two separate sensors (one for tracking and one for capturing the image) but this seems to use the main sensor for both. Will have to give it a try.
12-06-2023, 10:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to still see the K-1 getting updates. I'm going to have to try out the additional astrotracer modes.
12-06-2023, 10:23 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

awesome news! glad its opening up to the other cameras!
why no digital focus limiter for all lenses? is it really that software/resource intensive?
12-06-2023, 10:34 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting to see which lenses are able to be zoomed vs using at wide or tele in the directions with this update

ASTROTRACER Type1
Conventional ASTROTRACER function. Shift the cameraís image sensor in synchronization with the movements of stars (diurnal motion) to priortize the celestial bodies and stars to be captured as solid points.

ASTROTRACER Type2
Shift the cameraís image sensor half the speed of Type 1 in synchronization with the movements of stars to prioritize capturing the landscape and stars in a good balance.

ASTROTRACER Type3*
A simplified equatorial function that enables to track and capture celestial bodies without using GPS. Before actual shooting, a preliminary shot is captured automatically, enabling celestial body tracking from star movements. This feature eliminates GPS positioning wait time and able to shoot in locations subject to previously troublesome magnetic fields. As the star movements are being captured on an image, ASTROTRACERís auto-tracking function may fail when objects other than stars, such as clouds, enter the image field. In such situations, it is recommended that users select the Type 1 or Type 2 mode. When used with interval shooting, it is possible to perform multiple main exposures with a single preliminary shot.

*Time exposure of the mode dial B (Bulb Exposure) is available (Normal bulb exposure is not possible).
*Not compatible with fisheye lenses.
*Only use the zoom lens at the wide or telephoto end. However, the following lenses can be used at any zoom position.
 HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mmF4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE
 HD PENTAX-DA★11-18mmF2.8ED DC AW
 HD PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW

Last edited by garywakeling; 12-06-2023 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
12-06-2023, 11:32 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

This is a real surprise imho. Making the effort to port the K-3 III code to the older system used in the K-1 is quite the thing.