Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
RaduA

K-m white sold out in Japan

All copies reserved for the Japanese market were pre-ordered by now.

Translated version of http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/dslr/2009/01/09/9963.html

Radu

01-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Perhaps it would have been a better idea to limit it sales to 100 000 units instead of just 3000.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-10-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Sorry, Instead of Quote I hit Edit.
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Perhaps it would have been a better idea to limit it sales to 100 000 units instead of just 3000.
Maybe there will be 3000 of another colour in the pipeline.
Collect them all
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How about purple colour?

01-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
How about purple colour?
Yeah or Bright Orange. I'd get both those colours.
01-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Maybe there will be 3000 of another colour in the pipeline.
Collect them all
According to a Swedish photo journal the white will be followed by something with red and chrystals. But I suspect they mixed it up with that things that was presented in September which what I understand was a rather expensive thing by some famoused designer in even smaller numbers. But who knows. Make it Pentax red and I will be very tempted. Of course I can't afford paying any collectors prices. But if you remeber that special eddition of the K10D with gold text in memory of the full hand Pentax got for it when the K10D took all of the three great camera prices (in Europe, Japan and the US), it was sold on-line by the company where I usually buy my camera/computer gear here in Sweden at a price only slightly above the ordinary K10D! Was tempted, but then the K20D came. What did this white K-m cost??
01-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
According to a Swedish photo journal the white will be followed by something with red and chrystals. But I suspect they mixed it up with that things that was presented in September which what I understand was a rather expensive thing by some famoused designer in even smaller numbers. But who knows. Make it Pentax red and I will be very tempted. Of course I can't afford paying any collectors prices. But if you remeber that special eddition of the K10D with gold text in memory of the full hand Pentax got for it when the K10D took all of the three great camera prices (in Europe, Japan and the US), it was sold on-line by the company where I usually buy my camera/computer gear here in Sweden at a price only slightly above the ordinary K10D! Was tempted, but then the K20D came. What did this white K-m cost??
Of course, a white one would be no good to you Douglas, you'd be frightened of losing it for a large part of the year.

01-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

See-through!

I'd like a translucent or clear case so you can see the innards.
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
RaduA

I think you're talking about this one: TeKaDe - Deutschlands und Österreichs Pentax Shop Nr. 1 - Pentax K-m Crystal-Kit mit DA L 18-55 Pen_K-m mit Swarovski Kristallen veredelt, Limited Edition

150 cameras as 3000 Euro (ouch!) each!

Regards,
Radu
01-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, a white one would be no good to you
Douglas, you'd be frightened of losing it for a large part of the year.
Well, I'm not sure...it might be quite good when you shoot polar bears...being invisible is a good idea then, but that would take a white DA*300 as well. But maybe that super-tele on the edge of the lens-roadmap is going to be the white DA*600

On a more realistic budget: Pentax LX with Tokina 400/5.6 at 1/30s and f5.6 with Fujichrome 400 on tripod. Late September 1991 at latitude ~86 North. Only light source is some headlamps. Not a white camera, but I was dressed in blue and yellow goretex so that would not have helped

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think I've seen a demo version of one of the SF.. cameras, but it would be useless, you would get light from everywhere on the sensor!

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
That's the one! Don't you remember when there was a copy of this one on a monter at photokina and someone put images of it on the web there were an uproar from certain conservative forces who sort gave a hunch how the same people would react on the white one
01-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Drats! My Japanese friend couldn't get hold of one for me.
Apparently demand is pretty strong. The camera will no doubt shoot up in price if resellers have their way.

As a marketing experiment, it is a successful proof of concept. Now onto mass market...
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
RaduA

That's the one! Don't you remember when there was a copy of this one on a monter at photokina and someone put images of it on the web there were an uproar from certain conservative forces who sort gave a hunch how the same people would react on the white one
Yep, Douglas 2 months ago I made a thread about it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/41752-no-ff-pentax-but-3000-euro.html that died peacefully in record time.

For me it's impossible to comprehend why some people take this marketing initiatives so badly when Pentax gets lots of exposure whilst being PAYIED for it not paying.

Radu
01-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah or Bright Orange. I'd get both those colours.
nuclear meltdown orange works for me!
01-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . But maybe that super-tele on the edge of the lens-roadmap is going to be the white DA*600
You can special order the FA* 600 and it comes in white. That is still way too close to a polar bear. Those guys can move fast and they can track very well also. Maybe that DA* 1.4x teleconverter would help some. I'd hate to have to leave FA* 600 and white K3D at the North Pole!
01-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Light leaks? (Although, if this isn't a problem I'd definitely want one)