Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Probably true.
Slightly upgraded models of the K20 and K200.
If the 200D is the same body size and weight, well, god help Pentax IMHO. Unless the 30D goes seriously upmarket the 200D is a lost product in terms of placement and target market.

01-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You'd rather have Pentax release it as originaly planned and having a lens sucking big time?
No, we'd prefer Pentax release it as originaly planned and having a great lens!!
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
The 2 links provided show two different 60-250 SDM. Its been since Feb 25 2007 that the pic of improved upon second version has been out. Take a good look:

No tapper at towards mount & added removeable tripod mount.

It looks just like the one I handled and shot with last month. So about 23 months ago the second version image was being released for media.

Three new Pentax DA star lenses: Digital Photography Review

Pentax to exhibit future products at PMA: Digital Photography Review
This has been known for age, what's your point?
01-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
No, we'd prefer Pentax release it as originaly planned and having a great lens!!
No question about that

01-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 81
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
If the 200D is the same body size and weight, well, god help Pentax IMHO. Unless the 30D goes seriously upmarket the 200D is a lost product in terms of placement and target market.
But why is this a disaster? If you want a small camera get the k-m? It's more an enthusiast model so will be bigger, in fact the normal trend is they steadily get bigger until the hugh pro units.

What's all his noise about little cameras about, I for 1 wouldn't have anything less than the size and weight of the k10/20.

Peter
01-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
But why is this a disaster? If you want a small camera get the k-m? It's more an enthusiast model so will be bigger, in fact the normal trend is they steadily get bigger until the hugh pro units.

What's all his noise about little cameras about, I for 1 wouldn't have anything less than the size and weight of the k10/20.

Peter
Because some really think a D3x in a K-M package at 300 US$ should be offered by Pentax.
01-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
You're a sample size of 1.

The 200D failed MISERABLY because it was too big for an entry level camera and too expensive when it was launched. With the Km and the 20D there is just not enough room in between to justify the "300D" in it's current 200D form.

We either need a genuine enthusiest small form camera (think DS sized) that is marketed with the limited or we need the 300D to have the same functionality and features as the 20D and move the 20D up market (think D300 territory).

The current product placement is abysmal and they essentially admited that by releasing the Km.

QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
But why is this a disaster? If you want a small camera get the k-m? It's more an enthusiast model so will be bigger, in fact the normal trend is they steadily get bigger until the hugh pro units.

What's all his noise about little cameras about, I for 1 wouldn't have anything less than the size and weight of the k10/20.

Peter
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 81
Thibs, We all know that if you want big features you need space!

It really confuses me reading posts on here, there seems to be two extremes of people, those who want mega quality micro camera's, and those who want mega feature full frame units. It amazes me that Pentax actually sell anything at all, because they don't seem to make anything (currently) that's actually wanted :-) (if you listen to these people)

I wonder how many of these people who NEED all these sizes or features would actually put up the large amount of cash for one if pentax was actually to make such units in the small quantites (Extreme Niche lol) that are actually NEEDED?

Peter

01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
You're complicating things.

Basically grab a DS, refine the syling (just blunt the edges), throw a 2.7in screen on the back, 14mp sensor, SAFOX IX, use the trash button as a customiseable button in shooting mode, add a second button near the exposure comp button, replace the guts with the required processing power and you're off and running.

I just bought a D80 which is not much bigger and it has twice the buttons on it that my K100D has without ever feeling cluttered.

I am not saying we need to be "micro sized" but the Km is so neutered (i can't even pick the AF point) that I may as well get the 20D ahead of the 200D because the 200D is so close to it in terms of bulk.

QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
Thibs, We all know that if you want big features you need space!

It really confuses me reading posts on here, there seems to be two extremes of people, those who want mega quality micro camera's, and those who want mega feature full frame units. It amazes me that Pentax actually sell anything at all, because they don't seem to make anything (currently) that's actually wanted :-) (if you listen to these people)

I wonder how many of these people who NEED all these sizes or features would actually put up the large amount of cash for one if pentax was actually to make such units in the small quantites (Extreme Niche lol) that are actually NEEDED?

Peter
01-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
Alfisti, we shouldn't talk about "K300D" and "K30D", really. It makes you think they will launch direct replacements for K200D and K20D, when it may not be the case.
The entry level is the K-m, a small, cheap camera. Any other new* camera they will launch at PMA will be higher-level.

* I'm not talking about neither the pink, nor the camo K-m
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
That's essentially what I said in my first post, they better not use that same 200D baseline, it needs to be dropped or up-specced to where the 20D is now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Alfisti, we shouldn't talk about "K300D" and "K30D", really. It makes you think they will launch direct replacements for K200D and K20D, when it may not be the case.
The entry level is the K-m, a small, cheap camera. Any other new* camera they will launch at PMA will be higher-level.

* I'm not talking about neither the pink, nor the camo K-m
01-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,406
OK, then we agree
And Hoya said something about "scrap and build" - let's see if they're talking about this.
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 81
[QUOTE=Alfisti;448665]You're complicating things.

I don't think so, but your allowed your opinon, I believe the k-m is not aimed at you or the enthusiast market, but the 'soccer mom' super cheap Nikon D40 market, it's not neutered, but designed around the entry level, I believe the p&s upgrade market as is show by the amazing sales of the quirky white version.

I agree with you in the separation of the model tiers, and I'm sure they will deal with some of that at PMA in March. But what did you expect them to do with the k-m, it was always going to be close to the k200 due to the lack of R&D resources and the need to reuse technology, there are many more enthusiast features on the k200 which do set it aside from the k-m, over and above the use of the same sensor and engine though, just not enough generally for more camera aware people to see, over the same sensor.

Peter
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
I actually posted a similar sentiment about the K200d over xmas. I bought one for my g/f and ended up sending it back because it just wasn't small enough to differentiate it from the K20d. At that time the K20d was around $700 so you saved a little money with the K200d but didn't get much of a size/weight savings and had significantly lower spec internals. My guess is that they make a K30d as an upgrade for the K20d, the Km/2000 obviously is their small/light, so that leaves a third mystery body imho. I'm not sure if they'll try to split the K20 and Km or if they'll do something very different. I guess we'll see...
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
Again, I never complained about the Km as a stand alone product. It was brought up because someone said i should go there to satisfy the concerns I have about bulk rendering the 200D marketless. I can't go there as it's an entry level product.

[QUOTE=NewRsoul;448688]
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
You're complicating things.

I don't think so, but your allowed your opinon, I believe the k-m is not aimed at you or the enthusiast market, but the 'soccer mom' super cheap Nikon D40 market, it's not neutered, but designed around the entry level, I believe the p&s upgrade market as is show by the amazing sales of the quirky white version.

I agree with you in the separation of the model tiers, and I'm sure they will deal with some of that at PMA in March. But what did you expect them to do with the k-m, it was always going to be close to the k200 due to the lack of R&D resources and the need to reuse technology, there are many more enthusiast features on the k200 which do set it aside from the k-m, over and above the use of the same sensor and engine though, just not enough generally for more camera aware people to see, over the same sensor.

Peter
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hope, k300d, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What about a K300d? jms698 Pentax News and Rumors 40 09-14-2010 02:00 PM
The new K300D (a WISHLIST) jotaz.gmail Pentax News and Rumors 70 05-08-2010 06:29 AM
K300D?? ..and successor to K20D GerryL Pentax News and Rumors 18 03-22-2009 05:40 PM
K30D/K300D speculations and new lenses ogl Pentax News and Rumors 355 01-24-2009 11:49 PM
put your money where your mouth is! K30D/K300D bet pool! Gooshin Pentax News and Rumors 22 11-10-2008 09:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top