Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
Yes, this may 'technically' be so, but it doesn't stop them going for it :-)

I agree with you though, 'at the moment' we seem stuck around the 15mp limit, but as with CPU's (I remember them saying you can't get above 66Mhz because of the SWR on the copper links!) It will be overcome with some new fangled micro lense array or super quiet electricals, never say never, it always bites you in the bum :-).

Peter
If you want to compare to CPU, people are not buying faster CPU anymore. Pentium-M -> Core Solo -> Coure Duo -> now everybody is buying netbooks with Atoms in it.

01-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #62
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
If you want to compare to CPU, people are not buying faster CPU anymore. Pentium-M -> Core Solo -> Coure Duo -> now everybody is buying netbooks with Atoms in it.
I'm sorry, I must have missed this phenomenon, I see them trying to give them away with everything, broadband, 3G and mobile deals. But I don't know anyone who uses one. In fact I'd say that more people are moving from mainstream PC/Windows to Niche Macintosh machines... I know lots of them :-)

Peter
01-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry, I must have missed this phenomenon, I see them trying to give them away with everything, broadband, 3G and mobile deals. But I don't know anyone who uses one. In fact I'd say that more people are moving from mainstream PC/Windows to Niche Macintosh machines... I know lots of them :-)

Peter
Ah, talking about me?

Atom platform is interesting, those little netbooks are interesting for those who needs exactly that. On a performance POV (not taking into account electrical consumption) those Atoms really aren't interesting at all. But that's not the point. Those aren't there to be powerful.
01-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #64

Peter
Acer and Asus sold 11 million netbooks last yeat, that's not count Lenovo, HP and other brands.

01-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #65
Forum Member

Acer and Asus sold 11 million netbooks last yeat, that's not count Lenovo, HP and other brands.
Wow, that a lot of kit! Did they go into the OLPC stockpile?

Just had a look on Amazon bestseller list for Laptop/notebooks and I have to get down to number 56 before I see an Atom powered unit, how many normal Intel/AMD units are being sold then ?!?

p.s. there's 4 Apples in the top 20 too :-)
01-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #66

Wow, that a lot of kit! Did they go into the OLPC stockpile?

Just had a look on Amazon bestseller list for Laptop/notebooks and I have to get down to number 56 before I see an Atom powered unit, how many normal Intel/AMD units are being sold then ?!?

p.s. there's 4 Apples in the top 20 too :-)

Amazon.com Computers & PC Hardware Bestsellers: The most popular items in Laptop Computers. Updated hourly.

You meant this list? 11 out of 12 best selling laptops are running on Atom. Who is lying, you or me?
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #67
Forum Member

You meant this list? 11 out of 12 best selling laptops are running on Atom. Who is lying, you or me?
Sorry I used .co.uk as I'm in the UK not .com, there's a world outsite of the Ole' US of A :-), don't take offence, it's not personal just a little light hearted banter not life or death.
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #68

Sorry I used .co.uk as I'm in the UK not .com, there's a world outsite of the Ole' US of A :-), don't take offence, it's not personal just a little light hearted banter not life or death.
Whatever, <shurg> I don't know what your point is so there is nothing to argue.

My point was simple, sensor megapixel count is like CUP ghz/mhz rating, you can use them paddle new products for so long, after a while people will start ignoring them.

01-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #69

For the K30(D) I would like to have a new body, body may similair to the K10D/K20D beceause it feels good in my hands.
But it may have some more buttons like :
- dedicated WB button
- dedicated ISO button
- dedicated DRIVE button to select single frame, self-timer, FPS setting

And on the new built grip I would like to see the same buttons AND a very importand dedicated button a AF button.

And for the performance point of view I would like to see a new advanced AF system like Nikon's AF system found in the D300/D700/D3.

A bettter mettering system and a couple of weather sealed new flashes(a AF 590FGZ or something ? with a better build and WS better consistency and all the other nice things).
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #70
Veteran Member

That's called a D300 and it's what, $1,300?
01-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Dedicated ISO button? That would be a step back, from having a dedicated e-dial (in Av and Tv, at least)
More buttons = good, but placed with care.
01-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
My brother has one - nice body - but try as I might, I could not get my DA Limiteds to mount on it.
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Rumor is up now for D400 to replace D300 at $2,000 ouch

Prices are heading up in USA. One of my shooting buddies loves his D300 and shuns the idea of getting a D700 full frame for $2319. I think we're in for some major price hikes on new issue and better spec cameras in 2009. The unannounced D400 $2,000 may set the stage for similar spec aps-c Pentax start price everyone wants. I thought $1,500 would be too high for K30D then I found this:

Nikon D400
MSRP $1,999.00
Key Features:

New 14.8 megapixel DX format CMOS sensor effective 14.3 megapixel
Self-cleaning sensor unit (low-pass filter vibration)
ISO 100 - 6400 (with boost up to ISO 25600 and down to ISO 50)
14-bit A/D conversion
Movie capture at up to 1080p 24 fps with stereo sound
Nikon EXPEED Plus image processor 30% faster than previous EXPEED image processor
Super fast operation (power-up 13 ms, shutter lag 40 ms, black-out 90 ms)
Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 200,000 exposure durability
Multi-CAM3500DX Auto Focus sensor (51-point, 15 cross-type, more vertical coverage)
Auto-focus tracking by color (using information from 1005-pixel AE sensor)
Auto-focus calibration (fine-tuning) now available (fixed body or up to 20 separate lens settings)
Vignetting control in-camera
Automatic chromatic aberration correction
Custom image parameters now support brightness as well as contrast
Seven frames per second continuous shooting (nine frames per second with battery pack)
3.0″ 922,000 pixel LCD monitor
Live View with either phase detect (mirror up/down) or contrast-detect AF, face detection
‘Active D-Lighting’ (adjusts metering as well as applying D-Lighting curve)
Detailed ‘Control Panel’ type display on LCD monitor, changes color in darkness
Buttons sealed against moisture
Same ultra-fast startup and shutter lag as D700
Scene Recognition System (uses AE sensor, AF sensor)
Picture Control image parameter presets
UDMA compatible single CF card slot
Virtual horizon indicates if camera is level (like an aircraft cockpit display)
Extensive in-camera retouching
HDMI HD video output
Magnesium alloy body with connections and buttons sealed against moisture

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Nikon D400
MSRP $1,999.00
That's $200 more than the D300 started at, but the spec sheet is out of this world. I can't see Pentax coming anywhere near those specs so I'm betting you are right on the K30 not being over $1,500. Unless it turns out to be an APS-H sensor.

Last edited by regken; 01-13-2009 at 12:17 PM.
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
My brother has one - nice body - but try as I might, I could not get my DA Limiteds to mount on it.

I'm just saying, no one wants to pay $1300 for a new Pentax body unless it's a clear step above the 20D ... step and a half.