Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #91
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
...I'd be happy to see the K30 sport at least one central f2.8 AF point (but would be really pleased if they put 4 of them at the corners of the nine cross AF sensors + 1 center) for increased precision with f2.8 lenses and faster.
how precise (for f stop) are current AF points?
agree with you on the 14.6 mpx being enough, for next year or so, and I think they have bigger issues to address then mpx count...

01-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I am all for the use of the 14,6MP sensor in the K300 but not really fond of the idea of a 20+MP K30D...

Since 14,6MP is still on top of today's APS-C resolution, I think it would be a better idea to stay there a while and work on quality (DR+noise) as well as getting the AF up a notch.

Pentax has limited ressources and maybe the best strategy is to focus on one major upgrade at a time (sensor for the K20, AF for the K30, sensor again for K40...)

I'd be happy to see the K30 sport at least one central f2.8 AF point (but would be really pleased if they put 4 of them at the corners of the nine cross AF sensors + 1 center) for increased precision with f2.8 lenses and faster.

Of course, some more AF points + faster FPS (5-6fps?) for tracking and a 1/8000s X-1/250s shutter would be nice bonuses but increased accuracy with fast lenses would be my priority.
I would be very surprised if Hoya would invest on things near their technology death like phase detection AF and electro-mechanical shutter. We are near the death of the traditional reflex, I expect more developement on thing related to live view, like the 21 fps of the K20, maybe less but with more resolution, and introduction of contrast detection AF.

I expect it, not that I am happy with that.
01-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #93
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
how precise (for f stop) are current AF points?
f/5.6 SAFOX VIII

I think that new FF camera will be under name K-X or K2. The joke.
01-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
We are near the death of the traditional reflex
Define "near". 25 years? 50? 100?

01-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #95
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Never?"

Radu
01-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd say two or three for consumer cameras with interchangeable lens. Many more for professional ones.
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #97
Veteran Member

I would be very surprised if Hoya would invest on things near their technology death like phase detection AF and electro-mechanical shutter. We are near the death of the traditional reflex, I expect more developement on thing related to live view, like the 21 fps of the K20, maybe less but with more resolution, and introduction of contrast detection AF.

I expect it, not that I am happy with that.
These are old technologies indeed, but they are still breathing... a bit like me!!

Hopefully, one technology won't replace the other until it is better or at least as good.

That is still pretty far from being true when comparing OVF/EVF and contrast/phase AF.
02-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #98
Inactive Account

Doesn't make any sense when you look at hte competition. The loss of the K200d doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either.

I could see a K2 (imagine the advertizing near Everest) as a fully professional body. Possibly a full-frame unit.

I can imagine them getting live view in the K200d, and even the K-m, except it just came out. And fixing live view in the K20d, not because it is a huge need, but because reviewers tend to take points off for the lack of it.

Otherwise there just isn't that much in the technology that has improved in the past year.

02-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #99
Inactive Account

I grant that bigger buffers, refining of the 14.6 CMOS, better live view, and motion picture recording, along with real HDR achieved by taking 5 or so images in rapid succession and then adding them together in the camera (talk about processing power, though!) would all be nice, but are they worth a whole number increment? K250d, K25d instead?

Death of the traditional reflex? LCD viewfinders are not as good as the Mark I eyeball, including in showing depth of field and focus I hope they wouldn't do away with them!
02-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say two or three for consumer cameras with interchangeable lens. Many more for professional ones.
I would be very disappointed if that were the case and I just do not see this happening.

EVF have no overwhelming advantages over OVF whatsoever (but sure there are swings and roundabouts). I bolded viewfinder for a reason. Having a live histogram is useful in the viewfinder but such additions to the VF can theoretically be done with both EVFs and OVFs - it does not have to exclusive to an EVF.

Realtime viewing of colour and contrast effects are only beneficial if the EVF is calibrated accurately and can be re-calibrated throughout its lifetime. If the user cannot recalibrate the EVF themselves then the accuracy of the EVF to begin with is a moot point. Realtime viewing of DoF is a minor benefit given that the DoF preview exists on DSLRs.

If the benefit of an EVF is just to get rid of the mirror and have smaller cameras we'd all be using rangefinders
02-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Nothing to really add, just my wish-list (I probably won't upgrade my K200D until prices fall again like they have with the K20D...so at least another 3-4 years - which is good, because I need to save up for some more lenses. )

What I'd like to see:
* Usable ISO 3200, 6400 in a pinch - so improve upon the K20D here
* Larger, brighter VF, 100% coverage would be nice
* 1080p recording (yeah yeah i know, but can you imagine using a 31mm or 77mm or even a Zeiss 85mm to record some video? )
* Dual SD slots (or maybe another in the grip.)
* Geo-tagging (which, going on other rumors, might actually happen.)
* Better AF (just to make everyone else happy. )

I'm actually perfectly OK with APS-C, since it allows the Pentax bodies to be relatively compact and luggable compared to say, the D300/D700 or 40D/50D/5D.
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #102
Pentaxian

The idea of dual SD slots really appeals to me. All the Olympus DSLRs I've ever used had both CF and XD card slots, and while XD cards are a PITA, it was nice to know that you had a backup card in there in case anything went wrong. Put an extra SD card in there, and I suspect a lot of photographers would be happy about it.

Last edited by er1kksen; 02-09-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: issue seems to have been cleared up
02-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #103

edit: so anyway, let's get back on topic.

Last edited by whatever7; 02-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.