Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Ideally the 300D is the 200D body put on a 50 to 100gram diet, 20D internals, proper live view implimentation, SAFOX IX and liIon batteries.

Basically a D80 that mounts my Pentax lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I actually posted a similar sentiment about the K200d over xmas. I bought one for my g/f and ended up sending it back because it just wasn't small enough to differentiate it from the K20d. At that time the K20d was around $700 so you saved a little money with the K200d but didn't get much of a size/weight savings and had significantly lower spec internals. My guess is that they make a K30d as an upgrade for the K20d, the Km/2000 obviously is their small/light, so that leaves a third mystery body imho. I'm not sure if they'll try to split the K20 and Km or if they'll do something very different. I guess we'll see...

01-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather see it as a "serious" Km but I don't think they'll do it. I still don't get live view other than from a marketing perspective. And I have shot a lot with p&s so it isn't like I'm not used to working that way, but all of the implementations on the dSLR seem deeply flawed. The only viable ones imho are those that are on articulated screens so you can shoot at off-angles.
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I absolutely will not use live view except bug chasing, i nearly break my neck trying to compose when they are under a deck or above my head or whatever.
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I'd rather see it as a "serious" Km but I don't think they'll do it.
Truth be told so would i but it's maybe asking too much as there is no room for a top LCD or the buttons we need. If i have to press the fn button on emore time to access something on my 100D ... god i hate it.

01-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Truth be told so would i but it's maybe asking too much as there is no room for a top LCD or the buttons we need. If i have to press the fn button on emore time to access something on my 100D ... god i hate it.
I think it is possible. Have a meter lever on the mode wheel like the K20d, change the ? button to ev comp, have a green/af button on top. The power switch can do live view (if you insist ), and have the focus select surround the joystick/ok like it does on the K20d. Or add a second lever around the mode button. You don't need an LCD on top, but need that info either on a "quick screen" on the lcd or in the viewfinder. I think it is doable.
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #36
Banned

I do not understand why these things are being discussed. would you do the same to an XTi or D40? the k-m is an entry level camera, it has a help button for christs sake! you are trying to turn it into something it was never designed to be. I agree that the K200 was a bit of an oddball when it was released (due to no camera being offered in the K-m range) but I think all they need to do is upgrade the K20 to make the K200 viable as an option. I dont think the K200 really needs to be upgraded at all and I dont think it will hurt them to not, if the K20 is upgraded enough. I pose the same question as above:

QuoteQuote:
I wonder how many of these people who NEED all these sizes or features would actually put up the large amount of cash for one if pentax was actually to make such units in the small quantites (Extreme Niche lol) that are actually NEEDED?
and I think some of you are forgetting what the K200 actually offers for its (street) price.
01-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I do not understand why these things are being discussed. would you do the same to an XTi or D40? the k-m is an entry level camera, it has a help button for christs sake! you are trying to turn it into something it was never designed to be.
My argument would be that they *could* design it into an enthusiast small body. The G1 is showing that there actually *is* a market for such a beast. While Panasonic likely made the G1 for soccer moms, they are selling some to enthusiast who realize that they can use legacy glass with it. It becomes a lightweight travel/street alternative to a "full" size dSLR, dRF, etc.

Why not leverage what they've got? They have the Km form factor. How about they build two variants - newbie and enthusiast?

01-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not leverage what they've got? They have the Km form factor. How about they build two variants - newbie and enthusiast?
That would be ok, but seamuis is right...
01-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
Banned

My argument would be that they *could* design it into an enthusiast small body. The G1 is showing that there actually *is* a market for such a beast. While Panasonic likely made the G1 for soccer moms, they are selling some to enthusiast who realize that they can use legacy glass with it. It becomes a lightweight travel/street alternative to a "full" size dSLR, dRF, etc.

because then that will put the K200 right back in its oddball position, and make the k-m a bit odd as well, especially if its obvious its just an upgraded k-m. and the K-m has everything needed to be a great street camera. what else does it really need? ok you can do firmware upgrades for things like more AF points and the such but I don't see what the k-m is lacking to actually be viable as a street camera? I see this as nothing more than a vanity thing. the K-m can do such work just fine, but one doesn't want to be seen with an entry level camera. right? from what I see, the K-m currently fits rather well in the G1 arena, regarding what its capable of and form factor.
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #40
Veteran Member

because then that will put the K200 right back in its oddball position, and make the k-m a bit odd as well, especially if its obvious its just an upgraded k-m. and the K-m has everything needed to be a great street camera. what else does it really need? ok you can do firmware upgrades for things like more AF points and the such but I don't see what the k-m is lacking to actually be viable as a street camera? I see this as nothing more than a vanity thing. the K-m can do such work just fine, but one doesn't want to be seen with an entry level camera. right? from what I see, the K-m currently fits rather well in the G1 arena, regarding what its capable of and form factor.
The K200 is already in the oddball position, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the "scrap" part of the "scrap and build" mentioned by Hoya. As far as the Km design, it isn't about vanity, it is about functionality. AF points aren't the issue, usability is. I want buttons and switches for as many things as I can get rather than going to the menu. I switch metering modes regularly - hence I like having a dedicated lever for that. To the extent that they can provide more direct access to those things the better. It isn't about not wanting to "be seen" with an entry level camera. And in fact, I welcome that in a street environment. That is another argument for small primes.
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

and I should add that I'm very close to buying a K2000 *as is* to experiment with so my ego isn't really threatened by using an entry camera. I only wish I didn't have to get the kit lens and flash with it...I just want a body. But I know that I'll miss a few interface elements from the K20d.
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #42
Veteran Member

and I think some of you are forgetting what the K200 actually offers for its (street) price.
But for what $200 and another mm or two i can have a 20D.

The whole Pentax line got real heavy and bloated, even the 100D feels tipsy if you hold it one handed, the DS feels much better.

I equally don't understand why full featured HAS to equal massive, all we really need is faster processing and direct access to WB, ISo and metering. It's not brain surgery.
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #43
Banned

But for what $200 and another mm or two i can have a 20D.

The whole Pentax line got real heavy and bloated, even the 100D feels tipsy if you hold it one handed, the DS feels much better.

I equally don't understand why full featured HAS to equal massive, all we really need is faster processing and direct access to WB, ISo and metering. It's not brain surgery.
I cant argue the slim difference between the K200 and the K20. the 100D has many more features than the DS, including the SR, which adds quite a bit to the entire assembly.
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #44
Banned

and I should add that I'm very close to buying a K2000 *as is* to experiment with so my ego isn't really threatened by using an entry camera. I only wish I didn't have to get the kit lens and flash with it...I just want a body. But I know that I'll miss a few interface elements from the K20d.
you can buy it as just body and lens if you want a K-m instead of a K2000. for you it would be different but for someone who has never used a K20 it wont be lacking anything, particularly for what it is. I have never even held a K20 much less used it. nor have I ever owned a K10 so maybe my view is too different from yours. that of course does not mean I am not 'pro' enough for such cameras, but I just do not need such cameras for what I do.
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #45
Forum Member

But for what $200 and another mm or two i can have a 20D..
I'm sorry but $200 is not a little difference between models! In fact it's only this low because both models are priced right down to end of life type pricing.