Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K300D and K30D soon?

I've heard a rumor that says Pentax is to announce these cameras before the end of January. I can only hope, but my source is not very reliable. If they actually come out (I wouldn't be surprised for the K300D, since they must distance it from the K-M/K2000), I hope they improved AF and FPS rate.

01-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax was at CES last week showing off the white dslr

The first big show of the year just happened and pentax showed off Glossy White k2000.

Next show is PMA march 3rd in Las Vegas. So 50 days or a few less if a credible leak happens and you'll know whats up.

In fall 2009 there is no Photokina as thats every two years and not scheduled till fall 2010.

So if pentax wants lots of hands on free press coverasge its happening March 3rd 2009 or CES in January 2010 or any other time inbetween they are ready to launch new dslrs or lenses without all the free press coverage and Photoshow Buzz.

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I've heard a rumor that says Pentax is to announce these cameras before the end of January. I can only hope, but my source is not very reliable. If they actually come out (I wouldn't be surprised for the K300D, since they must distance it from the K-M/K2000), I hope they improved AF and FPS rate.

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-12-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: "80" days changed to "50" days
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d and K200d were announced on 24Jan08. Not at CES, not at PMA. There actually is a good argument for not doing a product launch at those shows. First off, CES is much more on the consumer side of things, so a "higher end" dSLR would just get lost in the noise of press. And at PMA they'd be fighting with everyone else for coverage. The reality of the interwebs is that traditional product cycles and show schedules have less and less influence on when/how something gets launched.

It would not surprise me a bit if the K30d/K300d were announced end of this month. It also wouldn't surprise me if they weren't. How's that for waffling?
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sometime somewhere ago, I read that pentax will release the k20D and k200D replacement before US summer 2009? So that would mean June 2009 right?

01-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
The first big show of the year just happened and pentax showed off Glossy White k2000.

Next show is PMA march 3rd in Las Vegas. So 80 days or a few less if a credible leak happens and you'll know whats up.
You keep repeating that PMA is in 80 days and I still count something like 50 days until 3rd of March.

One of us is wrong!
Radu
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Sometime somewhere ago, I read that pentax will release the k20D and k200D replacement before US summer 2009? So that would mean June 2009 right?
I guess any day from today till the official beginning of the summer is "before summer". I'll guess some folks here will be as disappointed about this like they are with the DA* 60-250. That Pentax guys are really bad with calendars aren't they?

Radu
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Cool, its only 51 days away!

Good News, 51 days, I need a new wall calander ;^)

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
You keep repeating that PMA is in 80 days and I still count something like 50 days until 3rd of March.

One of us is wrong!
Radu

01-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Holding breath!!!!! I so am ready.
01-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Disapointed about 60-250mm f4 SDM ? Not me

Luckily for me 60-250mm SDM is launching at $1,499 which I feel is too high to start, so other than watching the months pass and the price drop I won't buy one at issue or anytime soon if its just like the one I handled already. Still I assume many pentaxians wil line up to buy one for $1500 and I'll read what they say with it inhand. I shot with the improved 2nd version sample about a month ago at a multiple dealer rep demo. Its hunts af on K20D so that might be a reason for sadness upon launch? I mean if it doesn't live up to expectations especially being a couple years overdue you gotta let the first buyers of it vent. Right?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092102pentaxdastarlenses.asp

Pentax to exhibit future products at PMA: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I guess any day from today till the official beginning of the summer is "before summer". I'll guess some folks here will be as disappointed about this like they are with the DA* 60-250. That Pentax guys are really bad with calendars aren't they?

Radu

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-11-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: I added link to march 2007 launch date. @nd link is Dec 2007 launch date.
01-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Its hunts af on K20D so that might be a reason for sadness upon launch? I mean if it doesn't live up to expectations especially being a couple years overdue you gotta let the first buyers of it vent. Right?
You'd rather have Pentax release it as originaly planned and having a lens sucking big time?
01-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that all will be in such way:
1. announcement of K300D and K30D (and maybe 645D) during 1 month from the end of January till the end of February.
2. show up of new cameras at PMA on March, 3.
3. first cameras will be in shops close to May-June, 2009.
01-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. announcement of K300D and K30D (and maybe 645D) during 1 month from the end of January till the end of February.
Probably true.

I have heard the rumor, too, that in 3 weeks an anouncement will come.
But it will nothing spectacular.
Slightly upgraded models of the K20 and K200.
Also nothing more planned for the PMA.

No problem for me.
I am happy with my cameras.
01-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Probably true.

No problem for me.
I'd understand if the K30D would still use the 14.6 MP sensor plus performance tweaks. But will they still use the same Sony 10 MP job on the K300D? I hope not, otherwise, they'll lose more consumer interest for that model. Current interest for the K200D has flagged already.

Here's hoping they get that 14.6 MP in the K300D. Or some other sensor better than the Sony 10 MP. They need to differentiate the K300D than the K-m, really.
01-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Let's hope so, it will make the most sense to build up anticipation but also deliever at a point especially if the cameras are modern in features. I would announce first 645D, secondly K300D and last K30D.

They beter do that!

2 or 3 months of waiting it's way too long in this age and makes no sense to wait for the competition. Last year they put in shops in 4 weeks the K200D and in 5 weeks K20D and K-m. Even more than that I guess the priority is K300D and they can bring K30D a bit latter (read like a month latter).
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Probably true.

This is the part were I hope that your source either assumes that or is kept in the dark by Hoya. The level of secrecy is total and like people here said before me "Hoya leaked proof also the company not only its cameras"

A slighly upgraded K20D will be very nice ... if it's called K300D that is . IMO they need a fresh start with a new AF module and some "firmware tweaks" won't do, not just because of the mass hysteria that clouds this subject but also by the fact that previous owners will demand a firmware upgrade (since the hardware AF remains the same). So I don't think this is possible and/or not suicidal from a business stand point. And in all honesty to make a K300D as you suggested like a K200D with "minor updates" and expect to face the succesors of 450D, D60 and the plethora of Sony entry level cams is ... crazy to say the least.

I don't know what "more" could mean but I certainly hope your source doesn't know much (like most of us).

No problem for me.

The problem would be with Hoya managers that said: "the past strategy was bad" and I doubt very much they will just continue like this with a range of cameras essentialy defined by the old Pentax. Remember? It's all about "scrap and build" these days .

Me too but that doesn't stop me from wanting to buy more stuff and I would prefer something better than what I have atm.
Regards,
Radu
01-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The 2 links show 2 different 60-250SDM

The 2 links provided show two different 60-250 SDM. Its been since Feb 25 2007 that the pic of improved upon second version has been out. Take a good look:

No tapper at towards mount & added removeable tripod mount.

It looks just like the one I handled and shot with last month. So about 23 months ago the second version image was being released for media.

Three new Pentax DA star lenses: Digital Photography Review

Pentax to exhibit future products at PMA: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You'd rather have Pentax release it as originaly planned and having a lens sucking big time?