Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
It's like a friend of mine that insists that the contrails from jets in the stratosphere are really chemicals being poured on us by the government for human testing. No matter how you try to explain the physics behind contrails or the impossible logistics involved with such a conspiracy on all commercial jetliners and the millions of people that would have to be involved, they just won't believe it, because they want to believe there is a conspiracy regardless of the logic.
Of course you'de say that, you're obviously involved, look at your avatar!

lol, j/k. Well said, common sense rules.

Otoh, there are examples in history of people who have created major inventions which were not patented in their whole so as to remain trade secrets though. (At the risk of leaving the topic) One such was the musical synthesizer. It is widely known that Bob Moog put the first synthesizer onto the market and several other companies earned patents for various components therein such as Buchla for the sequencer. While they did invent these things in their own right, years earlier in secret (mid 50's!), Raymond Scott already had a fully functioning synthesizer and sequencer he'de made and used (to his advantage) in the creation of the first corporate jingle sounds. No one knew how he was making these sounds, but he started that market on his own and it wasn't until after his death did people realize the significance of his inventions.

01-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Otoh, there are examples in history of people who have created major inventions which were not patented in their whole so as to remain trade secrets though. (At the risk of leaving the topic) One such was the musical synthesizer. It is widely known that Bob Moog put the first synthesizer onto the market and several other companies earned patents for various components therein such as Buchla for the sequencer. While they did invent these things in their own right, years earlier in secret (mid 50's!), Raymond Scott already had a fully functioning synthesizer and sequencer he'de made and used (to his advantage) in the creation of the first corporate jingle sounds. No one knew how he was making these sounds, but he started that market on his own and it wasn't until after his death did people realize the significance of his inventions.
A very good example. Scott may have invented it before anyone else, but he never patented his, which left the market open to someone else, which ultimately happened...proof that if there is money to be made or recognition to be had, someone will invent it.

Scott didn't patent his invention, "hide" the patent (as though that were possible), thus keeping the world from knowing the truth about the technology and "holding back" the industry. Besides, even if he were able to "hide" a patent, it is after all his invention and he should be able to do what he wishes with it. It isn't our "right" to have a certain technology. If we take that right away from him, it won't be long before the rights to my photographs will be gone as well.

Now I must go. A shipment of human testing chemicals has arrived from the government and I need to load them into the aircraft before the passengers get here.
01-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
How does a patent remain "well hidden"? Patents are public information by their very nature...at least they are here in the U.S
Well... in the U.S. patents that have to do with matters of national security (Weapons, Energy, Communications etc) CAN be filed and kept non-disclosed under a gag order. NSA has many secret patents, so have many weapons developers.

As far as energy is concerned, give a look at the work of Thomas Henry Moray. He may have never understood the science behind his invention but he got somewhere no-doudt.

Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann got globally ridicouled after announcing some succes in their cold fusion research. The US Department Of Energy immediately forbid any filing of patents regarding cold fusion, characterising them as perpetual machines. Yet at the same time US Navy started extensive LENR - CANR testing which still goes on with non-disclosed results.

The powerful ones have control of the means to keep them in power. If you think shoes and t-shirts and stuff like this is as important to protect as weapons and energy, then my friend I totally disagree with you.
01-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Yes, a natural extension of the MTF chip.
I was actually expecting this technology to enter the in-camera RAW-development function in the K20D, but it was obviously not ready yet. I was a bit too optimistic here.
But I still expect distorsion and vignetting correction to come in future versions of the in-camera RAW-development software, based upon information in the chip in the camera.
Of course the lenses needs to be upgraded with this chip, so it may only be functionable with newer lenses. We'll see what happens.
It could conceivably be done with existing lenses as well, by storing their distortion and vignetting characteristics in the camera's memory. Might not work so well with 3rd-party lenses with no unique ID, but at least for Pentax lenses it should be possible.

If Nikon can do it...

01-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

LiveView through the Finder is of No Practical Meaning!

Why LiveView?

It is needed when we cannot look through the finder. When we can look thro the finder, why not look at it optically??

It is of no practical meaning afterall, and is just a joke!

QuoteOriginally posted by Red Quote
Single-lens-reflex digital camera - Patent 7471891

Just published on 12-30-08 under the Hoya name. Looks different than all Pentax bodies I've seen, not that they would have a perfect drawing anyway. But it is interesting.

Abstract:
01-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Why LiveView?

It is needed when we cannot look through the finder. When we can look thro the finder, why not look at it optically??

I don't really think any of this is going to end up in a new camera, but just to humor the debate, a "live-view" setup in the viewfinder used in conjunction with the optical viewfinder could possibly allow a live histogram overlaid on the optical image so that you get the best of both worlds.

I'm by no means an engineer and don't know the logistics of such an idea, but that was what first came to mind when I read this. Other than the fact that the patent was filed several years ago and therefore I think its old news.
01-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #37

Karburator

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Sure, and somebody invented a carburetor that gets 100MPG but the evil oil companies buried it.
And thank god for that!

I suggest you reed this great book, "The absolute at Large". From Amazon.com,
"In this satirical classic, a brilliant scientist invents the Karburator, a reactor that can create abundant and practically free energy. However, the Karburator’s superefficient energy production also yields a powerful by-product."

Amazon.com: ABSOLUTE AT LARGE (The Garland library of science fiction): Capek: Books

Here you could read it for free on the internet, but surely a copy is much easier.
The Absolute at Large - Google Book Search

Actually I suggest everybody reads it, makes for a great reading!
01-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Why LiveView?

It is supposed to be something like an overlay view. It should display a live histogram, shadow/highlight information etc. It has a lot of potential (I would love to have focus trackers in my view - like the ones in AE), but just like mk07138 mentioned, it's highly unlikely to see something like that in a camera within the next 5 years or so. Too exotic for now.

01-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
Well... in the U.S. patents that have to do with matters of national security (Weapons, Energy, Communications etc) CAN be filed and kept non-disclosed under a gag order. NSA has many secret patents, so have many weapons developers.

As far as energy is concerned, give a look at the work of Thomas Henry Moray. He may have never understood the science behind his invention but he got somewhere no-doudt.

Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann got globally ridicouled after announcing some succes in their cold fusion research. The US Department Of Energy immediately forbid any filing of patents regarding cold fusion, characterising them as perpetual machines. Yet at the same time US Navy started extensive LENR - CANR testing which still goes on with non-disclosed results.

The powerful ones have control of the means to keep them in power. If you think shoes and t-shirts and stuff like this is as important to protect as weapons and energy, then my friend I totally disagree with you.
I have worked for years in aerospace in R&D as well as in the cockpit. I understand the ramafications of national security and patents. National security exceptions don't just apply to patents, but to many aspects of business and society.

In order to even apply for a confidential patent you need to obtain a secrecy order from the government which spells out the reason for the confidentiality. They don't hand out secrecy orders to anyone who wants to "hide" a patent for competitive reasons.

I hardly think a Pentax camera system falls under national security confidentiality laws. Neither does a Nike shoe.

I don't intend here to get your riled up or anything. I just got a little punchy with the tone of your first email. While power-hungry people, businesses, and governments do exist, many times the "us against them" mentality ends up being "us against what we don't understand".