Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

New dSLR camera body patent?

Single-lens-reflex digital camera - Patent 7471891

Just published on 12-30-08 under the Hoya name. Looks different than all Pentax bodies I've seen, not that they would have a perfect drawing anyway. But it is interesting.

Abstract:

QuoteQuote:
A single-lens-reflex digital camera in which an optical image of an object that is to be photographed via a photographing lens is reflected by a main mirror to be formed on a focusing screen so that the optical image is viewed through a viewfinder while the main mirror is retracted from an optical path of the photographing lens to capture an image of the object by an image pickup device, the single-lens-reflex digital camera includes an electroluminescent display provided on the focusing screen, wherein the electroluminescent display displays at least the object image captured by the image pickup device. The single-lens-reflex digital camera is configured to allow the object image displayed by the electroluminescent display and the optical image formed on the focusing screen to be viewed through the viewfinder.

01-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So it sounds like the viewfinder can both view the optical image and have some sort of "live view" or review functionality via an LCD...
01-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pingflood is correct. From the summary of the patent:

"The present invention provides an SLR camera which is designed and configured to allow a live digital image to be viewed through a viewfinder without employing a complicated structure and without requiring a complicated control for switching between an optical image and a live digital image."
01-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which would be useful for video.

Does the new Canon with video use the viewfinder for filming? Or is it shown on the rear LCD?

01-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
TDN
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Red Quote
Looks different than all Pentax bodies I've seen, not that they would have a perfect drawing anyway. But it is interesting.
Images are of a *ist D body.
01-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interestingly enough the patent calls out for compensation for lenses with floating stabilizing elements as well.
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we should also notice that the filing date is 2006 for the US and 2005 for Japan. The publication date may be 12-30-2008, but according to this link it was filed back a few years ago.

01-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

sounds like a G1 to me
01-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
I think we should also notice that the filing date is 2006 for the US and 2005 for Japan. The publication date may be 12-30-2008, but according to this link it was filed back a few years ago.
Translation...This is very old news.

Steve
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I remember a similar 'live-view-in-viewfinder' concept was floated around during the rumor mill run-up to the K20.
01-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I remember a similar 'live-view-in-viewfinder' concept was floated around during the rumor mill run-up to the K20.

It wasn't similar. This was the one.

All this stuff and hype like a 17MPx 16:9 sensor and a gazillion other rumoured ultraspecs raised expectations for the K20 so much, that when the K20 was released and it was what it is (an improved K10) many felt dissapointed.

I don't buy this anymore and my advice is never to do so yourself. So far, both the K10 and the K20 have been great cameras but underappreciated just because people got to expect so much because of this never ending rumour mill.
01-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't it quite interresting that Hoya took patent on a DSLR construction back in 2006? They must have had ambitions to go into DSLR production long before they baught Pentax, and yet, it is usually claimed that Hoya baught Pentax mainly for the medical division?!?
01-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Isn't it quite interresting that Hoya took patent on a DSLR construction back in 2006? They must have had ambitions to go into DSLR production long before they baught Pentax, and yet, it is usually claimed that Hoya baught Pentax mainly for the medical division?!?
Nope! What happens is that with the acquisition of Pentax by Hoya, all the transfer administrative flow passes through all Patents property reissues with the new owner, so you can check all, but all Pentax patents now are held by Hoya.

regards
Rui
01-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Nope! What happens is that with the acquisition of Pentax by Hoya, all the transfer administrative flow passes through all Patents property reissues with the new owner, so you can check all, but all Pentax patents now are held by Hoya.

regards
Rui
So you mean it was first filed by Pentax in 2006 and then published under Hoyas name in 2008 or 2009? How can you see that?