Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh working on a dSLR 2009 could it use a K Mount?

Rumor or Not?: Ricoh working on a dSLR?
CameraRumors.com is featuring a credible rumor that Ricoh might be working on a dSLR for 2009 and beyond. It will be interesting to ponder in which direction they could go as far as a mount.

What are the possibilities for Ricoh? (this paragraph is pure speculation)

create their own mount? (too much work/investment)

use K-mount? (the closest thing to a "universal" mount)

Four Thirds? (would open the uncongested 4/3rds market to their lenses and bodies)

Micro Four Thirds? (they can make cute and adorable cameras inspired by the GRD/GX)

Clone mounts for Canon, Nikon or Alpha? (the biggest market share mounts)

Samsung Hybrid

Traditional Rangefinder mount

Last edited by Adrian Owerko; 01-15-2009 at 06:05 AM.
01-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They've had a history with the K-mount, and IMO I don't think any Pentaxian would mind a bit more choice.
01-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
They've had a history with the K-mount, and IMO I don't think any Pentaxian would mind a bit more choice.
Ricoh GX200...

A DA ltd would look nice on that! I also read in a forum that ricoh is looking at maybe fuji for sensors (: yes please

Last edited by Adrian Owerko; 01-15-2009 at 06:00 AM.
01-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
yes please
Pretty please!

Maybe something with better AF... you know - something Pentax hates doing.

01-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Ricoh GX200... A DA ltd would look nice on that! I also read in a forum that ricoh is looking at maybe fuji for sensors (: yes please
While K mount was free to use, when it became KA, and then the various iteration of K-AF, it was protected, so Ricoh can't use it freely.

If Ricoh is going the same route of the seventies, today it should use the 4/3 (or more probably micro 4/3).
01-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For Leica M.
01-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #7

Most likely m4/3.

01-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Most likely m4/3.
Probably. But then, that wouldn't be a DSLR. Technically.
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Pretty please!

Maybe something with better AF... you know - something Pentax hates doing.
Didn't Ricoh basically gave up SLRs because of autofocus? They tried their own program version of the K-mount, which probably didn't sell very well (and today jam some lenses on the Pentax DSLRs) and then they decided they couln't afford making their own autofocus mount...like so many other manufacturers (Chinon, Konica...)... so I think it is unlikely that they would have any better knowledge on AF than Pentax.
01-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Probably. But then, that wouldn't be a DSLR. Technically.
The thing is the economic will kill one or two more camera brands. And I would put Ricoh right in front of the candidate list, alone with Fuji. Olympus and Pentax are not far behind.

Don't put too much into this rumor.
01-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

DPR Post was mis-read. No Ricoh DSLR:

If you had read through the entire post, you would have seen that the original poster mis-read the so called quoted article in Amateur Photographer... the AP article made no mention of any new DSLR's.

snip:
"My apologies for not posting sooner with more details . . . it's been a busy few days.

And I may have mis-read the rather confusingly written article in AP, which gives the impression with its headline linking Ricoh and DSLRs, then hints at a 'secret project' and a 'fleet of extra staff' at Ricoh's R&D dept, and goes on to say that Ricoh wants 'to be the leader in high end compacts'. The DSLR reference peters out in the story, and on re-reading carefully, I think there is more in the headline, which is meant to make a link, than in the story . . .

The article was in the 18th Oct 08 issue of AP, on p2 of it's Informer section, headlined 'Ricoh bids to 'conquer' DSLRs'.

That headline itself was appeared to be a quote from Kazunobu Saiki, a general manager at Ricoh (it is not directly attributed to him in the story).

The article goes on,

'though Saiki remained tight lipped about will launch a Micro Four Thirds type camera system, he did say 'Ricoh wants to find a solution for ourselves'. He explained that Ricoh users demand a 'versatile' compact - non-bulky camera body that can be used in a variety of environments.

Ricoh tells us that it ploughing 'tremendous investment' into development of high end compacts.'

So there seems to be an interesting future for the GX range, but little chance of a DSLR. Sorry for any misrepresentation on my part.

A "

Source: Re: Ricoh working on a dSLR . .: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by solar1; 01-16-2009 at 08:15 AM.
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Most likely m4/3.
consider that, while original FourThirds standard is open standard, micro-FourThirds is NOT free.
01-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd call 4/3 more likely than m4/3. Then again, I don't really think this DSLR from Ricoh is all that likely in the first place, especially given solar1's link...
01-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chinon used to be able t share Pentax lenses up through the m42, k and KA. Where things started sliding was when Chinon went AF. Chinon AF bodies could use K and KA lenses, but not AF lenses. This happend after the CP-7M which came out about the same time or a little before the CP-9af.

I have the CP-7m and actually picked it of on of the P3 series at the time. It is a good body. So both Ricoh and Chinon were good K mount platforms.
01-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Chinon used to be able t share Pentax lenses up through the m42, k and KA. Where things started sliding was when Chinon went AF. Chinon AF bodies could use K and KA lenses, but not AF lenses. This happend after the CP-7M which came out about the same time or a little before the CP-9af.

I have the CP-7m and actually picked it of on of the P3 series at the time. It is a good body. So both Ricoh and Chinon were good K mount platforms.
I had a CP7m and it did not have any electrical contacts as far as I could remember...

Good little camera mind