Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hmm, makes me wonder if some of their lens delays have been because they're backtracking on commitment to APS-C, and continuing to support FF.

A guy can hope, can't he?
I'm wondering that myself. I think I also saw a rumor that the 60-250 is FF. Maybe the DA*30 is also.

Thinking outloud here...

New lens anouncement (hypothetical):

DFA* 24-60
DFA* 24

Existinting anouncments:

DA* 50
DA* 30
DA* 60-250

Existing lenses:

FA 50
FA 35
FA 31
FA 43
FA 77
DFA 50 macro
DFA 100 macro

So with the addition of two new lenses, Pentax could have a FF lense line up.

Maybe they are going to anounce a FF Pentax at PMA, with a planned release date in the Fall or early 2010. And the delay in the 60-250 was at first due to a redesign of the lens from APS-C to FF, and then further delay so Pentax does not tip their hand? This could be part of their plan to release lenses with camera anouncements.

I could also be imagining patterns that do not exist.

02-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Perhaps

But you have more lenses;

FA 600/4
FA 300/2,8
The new DA*200/2,8 and same more DA lenses covers 24X36.

DA*55 seems to cover and perhaps DA15.

And new lenses can be new version of old lenses:
DFA 28-105 from old FA
DFA 24-90 from old FA
DFA 70-210 from old F
DFA 20 from old FA
DFA 24 from old FA
DFA 135 from old FA
DFA 28 shift from old K

But if it come a 24X36, it can have a little smaller sensor like 21X32mm. Remember that in film days we didīt use the hole 24X36, a enlarger and a slide in frame didīt use the hole 24X36mm.
And the point is more of the lenses in DA lense line can be used.

I want to see another Camera, a MZ-Sn a updated MZ-S with memory card. so it can record memory-voice and info about film, lens type, aperture and more ...
But that is only dreams
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I'm wondering that myself. I think I also saw a rumor that the 60-250 is FF. Maybe the DA*30 is also.
Pentax can't -- not won't, cannot -- go full frame without a sensor.

All the makers of full frame sensors are also camera manufacturers. This means that Pentax cannot differentiate itself as a brand using some else's full frame sensor. (They'll get the sensor after it has shipped in someone else's camera.)

So until Samsung produces a full frame sensor -- not before 2010 is what Samsung says about that -- there cannot be a Pentax full frame camera. (Sony wants to throw Pentax an anchor, now, not a life ring. They're spending a lot of money to sell the A900 for 3 grand.)

Since Pentax is talking about small, weather sealed, and rugged cameras, they presumably are either making a virtue of necessity or don't want a full frame sensor. For the next two years at least, sales are going to be very price sensitive, so that's hardly surprising.

Also note that you can beat full frame IQ with APS-C if you're a couple process generations ahead in sensor manufacturing; if the K30D is APS-C with a sensor that uses shaved silicon and/or various other advanced processes now used in (10 KUSD and up the each) scientific sensors, it's quite possible that they'll be able to beat the performance of the 135 format sensors.

I have no idea if that's going to happen, but Samsung is a chip and fab company; they have a lot of very good silicon process engineers, it's a core competency. So I wouldn't be all that surprised if something like this happened.
02-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #79
Inactive Account

Good silicone processes used to create an APS-C sensor can never beat the FOV and DOF features of a FF sensor.

I find it funny, how every topic here turns into a "Pentax is sure to bring us FF in the next year" debate.

I'd give money for a digital 645 tho ... FF doesn't really do it for me.

02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And the reverse is true as well. It all depends on one needs.
02-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #81
Inactive Account

All I know is I have dibs on the DA* 30mm when it comes out!
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #82
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
Good silicone processes used to create an APS-C sensor can never beat the FOV and DOF features of a FF sensor.
Which only matters to a small subset of very active photographers; for marketing purposes, Hoya and Samsung will almost certainly take better resolution or ISO numbers, and being a couple of silicon generations ahead can get them that.

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
I find it funny, how every topic here turns into a "Pentax is sure to bring us FF in the next year" debate.

I'd give money for a digital 645 tho ... FF doesn't really do it for me.
I'd greatly prefer APS-C and digital MF, leaving the FF middle empty, too.

Heck, I'd even take some discussion of what people want to do with that full frame sensor.

But predicting the future is hard, and I'm not trying to do that; just trying to raise some possibilities.