Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When I brought my Nikon in to work at Olympus I was scorned by the Japanese.

Chris
I was working for PepsiCo once and had a Coca-Cola product in my expense statement

01-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how long before *RH* is all over this talking about Pentax *P&S* being so inferior that the Man don't even use them.
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I am speechless. Utterly speechless.
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hey its only $699 after mail in rebate.

This is only $10 more than my K20D cost me new after mail in rebate:

Leica | D-LUX 4 Digital Camera (Black) | 18352 | B&H Photo Video

I like the paint! kinda black yet kinda blue too.

I'm surprised Leica doesn't offer it in White.

Leica+D-Lux+4+in+Bag.jpg (image)

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I am speechless. Utterly speechless.

01-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
There's me thinking from the subject line, goody goody, more interesting fast primes to play with.

Imagine my disappointment as I read on.............................................
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, it's almost like he cares more about actual photography than being a marketing flack.
01-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Damn, it's almost like he cares more about actual photography than being a marketing flack.
Yeah, god forbid that they guy would be into cameras and have an appreciation for a variety of brands.

Did you naysayers notice the M6 in his bag? Have any of you every shot with the DLux-4?

And never mind that the previous post had him using K20d w/35ltd...

01-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
yeah, WTF mate?
WTF indeed!
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, his blog falls right in line with the Pentax message...

Be Interesting.

I have to say, it is interesting that the top Pentax guy in North America would buy a Leica and not a Pentax.

Why not a K-m with a DA 40? Or a Pentax P&S?

Is his message, "Hey check out this niche player, and by the way, sorry BH"?

Or is he saying, "I'm just a regular photo-guy who will use the gear that works for me"?

If its the second message, why does Pentax not sell a compact high image quality P&S that he can easily "take on an airplane".

I just don't get this company.
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Yeah, god forbid that they guy would be into cameras and have an appreciation for a variety of brands.

Did you naysayers notice the M6 in his bag? Have any of you every shot with the DLux-4?
Yes! I bought the Panasonic equivalent (LX3) a few month ago. It's one of the nicest P&S I have ever used, even though it lacks the classy red dot!

This blog post just shows that Ned is first and foremost a photographer and it's a good thing if you ask me.

Nothing to be shocked about IMO....
01-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter

And never mind that the previous post had him using K20d w/35ltd...
It hasn't got anything to do that us "naysayers" don't appreciate the fact that he's into photography. We also are aware that he has an extensive camera collection. Its the fact he is the head marketing guy in the U.S. and Pentax Marketing is M.I.A in places and here he is with a I profile blog of a competitors project praising it. I have a better chance of finding a Leica in a shop somewhere in Florida than I would Pentax. We are also aware that Leica is a niche market company and the Irony is that Pentax and Nikon put them into that status in the 1960s.

Edit: For example, collecting and using the Leica in this pic isn't going to hurt Pentax sales.

But writing a review and praises of the current Leica could.

Last edited by Blue; 01-24-2009 at 03:32 PM.
01-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
Forum Member

I can't believe how stupid this is, I understand the difference between the Panasonic and the Option lines and you OK there wide apart, but it could have been a Samsung?!? I've left a comment on the blog saying we should start a book on when Hoya ask him to 'retire' my starter is 1 Month :-) Look at Lees at Leica only said a few words and he was gone in days...
01-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Yes! I bought the Panasonic equivalent (LX3) a few month ago. It's one of the nicest P&S I have ever used, even though it lacks the classy red dot!

This blog post just shows that Ned is first and foremost a photographer and it's a good thing if you ask me.

Nothing to be shocked about IMO....
While I can understand some of the "outrage", I also find it more positive than negative. He isn't a "company" shill but rather a photographer first and Pentax marketing guy second. And maybe *he* is frustrated with the way some of Pentax product development is going and this is a way to make a statement. Of course it could lead him out the door, but given what little I know about him, I doubt he'd care. I don't think he necessarily needs the job.

I'd rather have a serious photographer in that position (which btw is essentially an evangelist for Pentax in the US as well as a voice *for* the photographer at Hoya) than some bozo like Steve Ballmer (ie is blind to what the competition does well).

And the Dlux4/LX3 is a *great* camera. Easily one of the 2 or 3 best small sensor cameras out there and it will outperform most entry level dSLRs in some ways. Of course the 24-60 2.0/2.8 glass helps just a little. In low light it will obliterate any kit entry dSLR kit lens. Plus it has SR (hmm, where have we seen that before).
01-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #29
Forum Member

Really? Outrage?

Who in their right mind compares an $850 Leica compact to an Optio P+S that'll run you, at most, $350? It's a completely different price range for a completely different camera. Pentax has no alternative to the D-LUX 4. Bunnell might as well have reviewed an electric kettle, as far as "negatively affecting Pentax's business" is concerned.

"Gee, I was going to spend $200 and get a little waterproof Optio P+S for my mum, but now that I've read this article I think I'll get her a grand worth of Leica that's 2x as heavy and not waterproof."

What more, Pentax produces absolutely no competitors to Leica products at all! Disregarding the massive price disparities between the two product lines, you're comparing a series of tiny rangefinders or a single semi-MF DSLR to a lineup of very to moderately compact DSLRs and cheap point and shoots.

Ragging on Pentax's poor marketing decisions is often justified, but this is just ridiculous.
01-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #30
Site Supporter

. . .

I'd rather have a serious photographer in that position (which btw is essentially an evangelist for Pentax in the US as well as a voice *for* the photographer at Hoya) than some bozo like Steve Ballmer (ie is blind to what the competition does well).
. . .

Maybe Ned will do the 5D Mark II next for us.
Closed Thread