Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
If you look hard enough you'll find a 300mm 2.8 Adaptall 2 brand new with 6 year warranty and they sell for $2500 dollars. You know the newer black paint version that looks just like their AF 300mm 2.8 lenses. I gotta tell you I would never pay $2500. I got my olive drab paint version #2 for $475 locally and I'd never part with it as it works so well via PK-A mount& and so light for what it is. I own other adaptall 2 mounts too, includiing the rare and original Eos adaptall 2. But it has no A aperture setting like I use via PK-A which works just perfect as you likely know.
I wouldn't pay so much for that, either.

It's just a pity that currently nobody (if possible at all) designed modern AF lenses which could work on different modern mounts with the help of various adapters (and keep all automatics of course).

01-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sweet Pentax will copy and add "weather proofing" to their own version in the future. Ned is the original Pentax 007

Soon i'll be able to dump my Panasonic and add a Pentax (weather proofed) bridge to my Pentax ( weather proofed) DSLR in my weather proofed bag *100% weather proofed*!
01-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #63
RaduA

The REAL problem I see in this story isn't whether or not the Pentax USA CEO needs to advertise that he uses a Panasonic (in disguise under a red dot but still Pana) camera. The problem is that he must of know that a Pentax high end p&s camera isn't coming soon as I doubt that if Pentax would launch an Optio A70 let's say with in body SR, 24-30fps hi def video and a good sensor/lens combo Mr. Bunnell would of need the Pana camera for a month or two.

About the morality of this I seriously doubt you'll see a lot of mid level (let alone top management) people from BMW driving a Smart just because they don't have anything in this range.

Radu

Last edited by RaduA; 01-25-2009 at 08:45 AM.
01-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #64
Banned

QuoteQuote:
About the morality of this I seriously doubt you'll see a lot of mid level (let alone top management) people from BMW driving a Smart just because they don't have anything in this range.
how do you know what they would drive? and in the end what does their choice in automobile have to do with their job?

01-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #65
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
how do you know what they would drive? and in the end what does their choice in automobile have to do with their job?
How do you expect the regular employees to maintain loyalty and trust in their leaders when almost any business will face losses, sell fewer products and some people may lose their jobs but their boss thinks buying a camera (or any other product) from the competition is no big deal. I would of expected him to get one of the first P70s (obviously he doesn't think it is good enough for him so why it will be good enough for me or any other Pentaxian either?). After all he's an avid photographer with decades of experience ... he must know better than I do!

Radu
01-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #66
Veteran Member

You are all reading too much into this. Have you considered that it's just a nice camera and he bought it for no reason other than that? Must he only use Pentax everything just because of who he is?
01-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or, it could be possible that this sort of public move could be a shout-out to the higher-ups in Japan saying, "Hey! We need something like this in our lineup so that your marketing people, not to mention loyal customers, don't have to turn elsewhere to meet their needs!"

If my optimistic conjecture is indeed correct, my hope is that the end result would be a waterproof high-end compact from pentax. Pentax would be the only brand on the market then to offer a performance compact that won't turn into a $500 paperweight if you drop it in a puddle.
01-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
You must have really big pockets! I recently handled a G-1 at CES, and although it's a little smaller than my DSLRs, there's no way it will fit in any pockets that I have. The G-1 is small enough to be cute, but not small enough to be of any practical advantage over any kit that I currently use, other than a marginal weight savings. I hope that future Micro 4/3rds cameras try to be more ambitious.
I meant the potential M4/3's offers, not necessarily the G1 itself (although it would fit into some pockets with the new 20mm pancake prime). Olympus's M4/3's camera will be fine, and I'm sure Panny has something similar in the works as well. This being my personal dream camera:

http://zuiko.exblog.jp/9500125

I see no need for the bulk of an SLR just so I keep a 60 year old technology alive. I like OVF's as much as the next guy, but as EVF's keep getting better and better (and they will), I simply see no need for an archaic, bulky, loud, mirror box.

01-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #69
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
You are all reading too much into this. Have you considered that it's just a nice camera and he bought it for no reason other than that? Must he only use Pentax everything just because of who he is?
You could be right I don't pretend to hold the absolute truth but my point is that in these trying economic times top management needs to focus more on running business and less in indulging their "passions".

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Or, it could be possible that this sort of public move could be a shout-out to the higher-ups in Japan saying, "Hey! We need something like this in our lineup so that your marketing people, not to mention loyal customers, don't have to turn elsewhere to meet their needs!"
Er1kksen if the only influence the head of Pentax USA has over the Japanese board is to "publicly protest" some holes in Pentax range of products it is kind of sad indeed. I am the last person to ask from Hoya to remedy in one year all the strategical blunders the old Pentax made in years or decades though and I am pretty optimistic about the dslr business (and less interested in the p&s segment).

QuoteQuote:
If my optimistic conjecture is indeed correct, my hope is that the end result would be a waterproof high-end compact from pentax. Pentax would be the only brand on the market then to offer a performance compact that won't turn into a $500 paperweight if you drop it in a puddle.
I doubt it very much but hope you're right. But I want to emphasis that ONLY the water proofing (extremely hard to do on a retracting segmented lens anyway) or more likely weather proofing isn't the holly grail for all Pentax products. They need to keep up on other aspects as well IMHO.

Radu
01-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
and since when has leica been a threat to Pentax?
look... I had some $$$ to spend... and I spend them on Panasonic LX3 instead of Km... high-end P&S are threat to low-end dSLR... now w/ m4/3 in play they are even more...

look here Top digital cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review

1.Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 10.7%126,884

2.Nikon D90 10.6%126,010 3
3.Canon EOS 50D 2.8%32,781

4.Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 2.7%31,983

5.Canon PowerShot G10 2.7%31,972
6.Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2.5%29,746
7.Nikon D700 2.0%24,053
8.Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi 2.0%23,647
9.Canon EOS 1000D / Digital Rebel XS 1.7%20,087
10.Canon Powershot SX10 IS 1.7%19,728
11.Nikon D60 1.5%17,766
12.Canon EOS 40D 1.4%16,566
13.Nikon D300 1.3%15,099
14.Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 1.2%14,099
15.Nikon D80 1.2%13,784
16.Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 1.0%11,840
17.Leica M8 0.9%11,181
18.Nikon D40 0.9%10,855
19.Canon EOS 5D 0.8%10,058
20.Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 0.8%9,742

He can use whatever he wants, but being in such position he is not supposed to put this in his public blog no matter how many people read it.
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If he did, there's your sign of no FF for Pentax.

... a Leica-Pentax partnership? That might be interesting...
Leica-Pentax partnership is already exist:
Leica & Pentax | Leitax

Now I really want to see him using a D700 or 5D....
01-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PedroErnestoGuerraAzevedo Quote
I'm the President of Pentax Imaging (USA), and use cameras Leica / Panasonic !

You can use the camera you want, but as chairman of a major manufacturer of Pentax cameras, did not need the public to come and say to the world that use cameras Leica / Panasonic.
Why this?

What is the reason?

You have to promote the products of their company Pentax and not the company of others, mostly to be the president of Pentax!

That you did was a great advertisement for the Leica/Panasonic, totally free, or you are gaining something from it?
Where is the ethics mr. Ned Bunnell ???

Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo
This is exactly right and my point. As the ''president'' of Pentax imaging, he has a responsibility to the company. If one of my employees used a competitor product, especially in this economy, I would get rif of him on the spot. Personally, we buy competitors parts all the time to ''test'' them, but we do not use them nor brag about them...

If I was in charge of ''panaleica'', I would be directing people to the president of Pentax blog and use it to my benefit...

I know the die hard pentaxians here will try and justify it as much as ole ned, but that does not make it right.
01-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote

He can use whatever he wants, but being in such position he is not supposed to put this in his public blog no matter how many people read it.
Exactly right !
01-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
How do you expect the regular employees to maintain loyalty and trust in their leaders when almost any business will face losses, sell fewer products and some people may lose their jobs but their boss thinks buying a camera (or any other product) from the competition is no big deal. I would of expected him to get one of the first P70s (obviously he doesn't think it is good enough for him so why it will be good enough for me or any other Pentaxian either?). After all he's an avid photographer with decades of experience ... he must know better than I do!

Radu
Yep, you summed up my feelings very well....Well done!
01-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #75
Pentaxian

This all rubbish... what age are you all? Looks like you're more like 15 years all, really.
Quite sad IMO.
Closed Thread