Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was really regretting having bought a G10 instead the Pentax W60 water proof camera. Infact, I ''was'' going to use the rain to justify a purchase of a Pentax W60 until I got home and read Ned Bunells blog NED BUNNELL ...If the president of Pentax bought himself a leica / panasonic p&s, why in the world should I buy a Pentax p&s and considering that Pentax just came out with 2 new models, I can only surmize that Pentax P&S are junk....I wonder if he is a closet canikon user? I read his article and his follow up and he is not out ti improve Pentax..No he bought himself what he felt was the best p$s...It is that simple.

01-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, but the Dlux4/LX3 is in a different league than the Pentax P&S. It is a different class of camera (as he points out). Not all P&S cameras are created equal.

Pentax occupies a niche with p&s - waterproof. They do not have a "high end" P&S. The DL4/LX3 have competition with the G10, Ricoh GX200 (and GRD2 perhaps) and that is about it. And the DL4/LX3 are pocketable cameras (though it is tight in jeans). The G10 less so, and the G1? Forget about it...not a pocket camera. And of course it isn't a dSLR, but it does have interchangeable lenses. It is a new take on the bridge camera, which have not been pocketable. It will be interesting to see where u4/3 goes, but I don't see a slippery slope in him owning/shooting a DL4 to go along with his K20d.
01-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #48

Could it be that he 's looking for a job "somewher" else? I really doubt a japanese company would tolerate this kind of behaviour from their head marketing, unless he got the "notice". I worked for Ricoh Electronics for a long time and this would be considered taboo.
01-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #49
Veteran Member

This just means that Ned is a photographer who does not NEED to justify his purchase. Knowing your competition by using their product and enjoying the attributes says a lot about Ned's objectivity.

Hell guys, I might consider purchasing the Canon 5D Mkll, Is that Heresy?

01-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #50
Damn Brit

I suggest people go back to Neds Blog and read his justification (if you can call something that isn't needed justification).
01-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Grow up kids
01-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
This just means that Ned is a photographer who does not NEED to justify his purchase. Knowing your competition by using their product and enjoying the attributes says a lot about Ned's objectivity.

Of course it's heresy!!

BURN!! BURN THE WITCH!!! (Sorry, I've been watching some Monty Python lately... )

01-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I suggest people go back to Neds Blog and read his justification (if you can call something that isn't needed justification).
Agreed, some reactions are just non sense.
01-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Do You still have eos lenses from your canon pro days?

5D Mark II is very appealing. I considered it as an addition to my 5D but instead Nikon D700 full frame won out & I bought it instead. Do you have some nikon lenses too? If I recall correctly you were a Canon pro right? So you likely have some nice eos glass still? Nikon is raising their D700 MSRP $700 on Feb 1st 2009 in USA so that motivated my decision to act or skip it.

I think thesedays you don't have to "switch" brands. Just add another brand instead if you can afford to keep both. I am. This multibrand concept seems to confuse people. "Why not sell Canon?" Because I like the lenses I already own and my old tech 5D full frames. "Why not sell Pentax?", because I like it too now that I have a K20D with its inbody shake reduction and the old K Mount lenses I already own. Seeing how well K20D does at ISO 1600 made me go back and revisit my 2005 era samsung 6mp. You know what? They also do quite well at 1600 iso too. The Samsungs have lost so much resale value it makes more sense to use them till they die. And talk about SMALL these Samsung/ Pentax DS2 clones are quite small but no shake reduction. No biggie. I use them primary for product shots with their flash deployed at 1600 iso now.

So Benjikan, please do chat about your new 5D Mark II and your USM lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

01-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I think thesedays you don't have to "switch" brands. Just add another brand instead if you can afford to keep both. I am. This multibrand concept seems to confuse people.
Agreed. I still think they days of Tamron Adaptall2 lenses was so cool when using multi brand bodies... A shame this isn't possible anymore
01-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #56
Inactive Account

I'm the President of Pentax Imaging (USA), and use cameras Leica / Panasonic !

You can use the camera you want, but as chairman of a major manufacturer of Pentax cameras, did not need the public to come and say to the world that use cameras Leica / Panasonic.
Why this?

What is the reason?

You have to promote the products of their company Pentax and not the company of others, mostly to be the president of Pentax!

That you did was a great advertisement for the Leica/Panasonic, totally free, or you are gaining something from it?
Where is the ethics mr. Ned Bunnell ???

Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo
pedro.azevedo@ig.com.br
Santos - São Paulo - Brasil
PedroErnestoGuerraAzevedo
Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo's Multiply Site
Flickr: Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo's Photostream
01-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Why Isn't it Possible?

I only added my first tamron adaptall lens 2&1/2 years ago & in this order:

Like New 500mm f8 Mirror

Like New 200-500mm f5.6 which came with PK-A adapter ;^)

Carefully used 300mm 2.8

I gotta say Tamron did a heck of a good job on their PK-A adaptall 2 mount. I use the 300mm 2.8 & PK-A with pentax 1.7x manual focus to autofocus assist teleconverter. The 1.7x is an amazing TC, though it is always confused for a true AF teleconverter which it is not.

Tamron did a great job on their old 2003 era discontinued 1.4x AF TC "MC4". Tamron seems to fully understand the workings of the Pentax mounts:

PKA & FA & SDM

As a bonus, if you can locate Pentax Monocular K and use it on 300mm Tamron adaptall 2 if makes a fantastic spotting scope due to the ability to open and close lens aperture. Monocular K is superior to Tamron's own Monocular.

I know all this because I own these items.

So theres nothing stopping you from getting like new used pro caliber Tamron adaptall 2 lenses and PKA adaptall mounts. May take a month or two but they are plentiful enough to find at right price. Out of everything I mentioned The Pentax Monocular K is toughest to locate. But well worth having if you own a 300mm 2.8 Pentax or Tamron. I think its like 31 years old now, from 1978. I found one new in the box a couple years ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Agreed. I still think they days of Tamron Adaptall2 lenses was so cool when using multi brand bodies... A shame this isn't possible anymore

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-25-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added "SDM"
01-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Sure I was talking about modern lenses... a pity.

But older tammy lenses with PKA adapter still works, I know I have couple ones
01-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #59
Banned

what the heck is the problem here? I seriously doubt his job description defines only using pentax products... and since when has leica been a threat to Pentax?

and as for the mentioned pentax/Leica partnership... they already worked with Zeiss why do they need Leica? its just a damn camera people. by the way he clearly mentions the frequent use of the Optio W60.
01-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Would you pay $2500 for a new 300mm 2.8 adaptall 2?

If you look hard enough you'll find a 300mm 2.8 Adaptall 2 brand new with 6 year warranty and they sell for $2500 dollars. You know the newer black paint version that looks just like their AF 300mm 2.8 lenses. I gotta tell you I would never pay $2500. I got my olive drab paint version #2 for $475 locally and I'd never part with it as it works so well via PK-A mount& and so light for what it is. I own other adaptall 2 mounts too, includiing the rare and original Eos adaptall 2. But it has no A aperture setting like I use via PK-A which works just perfect as you likely know.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure I was talking about modern lenses... a pity.

But older tammy lenses with PKA adapter still works, I know I have couple ones
Closed Thread