Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #31
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by NewRsoul Quote
I suppose that's what I was thinking about, someone must know by now? If the K30 or K300 or god forbid a k3 is to arrive soon (within the next 3 months) then it must be out there being beta tested. When the K20/200 came to light last year they had passed through lots of hands, including Ben's (before the divorce :-)! We got lots of 'hints', this year it's virtually nothing, so I surmise that nothing is coming for maybe 6 months?
The new Pentax flagship camera will come in late Q2 (most likely June). It seems to be a new and innovative camera much more so than K20D was compared to K10D. I don't know if there are prototypes in the wild but the level of secrecy imposed by Hoya is tremendous. It seems logical that they will present it at PMA (in some form - either under glass or as a workable prototype) and capitalize on the surprise but I still think they need more a competent and well priced K300D to battle in the mid range.

Radu

01-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect Benjikan's reference to his crystal ball having a solid core may refer to something I've been wanting to see.

My money's on a model with integrated metal chassis. Yay!

Though if the rest of the Net is like this, maybe Pentax ought to release some information, if it has to wait another few months. People'll be tearing each other to bits by then.
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #33
Forum Member

"those who know, don't tell... and those who tell, don't know."
01-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well

QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
Thats not completely accurate.

I know plenty who know, and hints get dropped. How the hints get dropped and to what degree vary. You don't say anything that gives specifics away and you have to be careful to cross the line.

So I guess nothing gets said specific, but the arrows point a certain direction.

C

01-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I suspect Benjikan's reference to his crystal ball having a solid core may refer to something I've been wanting to see.

My money's on a model with integrated metal chassis. Yay!

Though if the rest of the Net is like this, maybe Pentax ought to release some information, if it has to wait another few months. People'll be tearing each other to bits by then.
I'm pretty sure our cams have a metal skeleton with plastic skin? Or do you mean something different?
That sums up the "News and Rumors" forum to the T
01-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Speaking of, I sure miss WendyB...
01-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Crystal ball

I recall reading between this and the other forum (how many months ago?) that it would be released in early summer of '09.

So, not news really, but I imagine mainly to help keep the nervous at bay.

01-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Can you at least do "warmer/colder?"
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I'm pretty sure our cams have a metal skeleton with plastic skin? Or do you mean something different?

Well, the chassis on the Pentaxes we have now are a bunch of pieces fastened together. Comes out a solid-enough package, but not the same as most of it being a single piece of aluminum or some alloy, such as we see in the better models of some other brands. Could be what our rumor-feeding friend meant by that reference.
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Ohhhh...I see...single piece...gotcha

It's definitely possible, and 100% do-able.
01-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #41
Forum Member

I'd have to say that most of the magazines (who's reviews people read) wouldn't say it pro / pro-am without a mag alloy body.
01-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'd have to say that most of the magazines (who's reviews people read) wouldn't say it pro / pro-am without a mag alloy body.
I suspect you're right.

In any event if they do a solid metal chassis, I'm sure it would be well-received. I admit the cutaways of the K20d made me expect this to be a rather lighter camera than it turned out to be. (I was pretty happy about this, I like some good heft.) Plenty sturdy enough for my purposes, anyway, but such a construction would be a comfort.

For me, personally, as long as it's sturdy enough to carry daily and not have to baby, it's quite adequate: I'm not exactly climbing mountains or leaning on the shutter at high speeds these days and I'm just not rough with my things, so I don't see longevity problems, unless I manage to get a whole lot more active.
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find the K10D and K20D bodies to be very solid. No problem for me what so ever.

Ben
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I find the K10D and K20D bodies to be very solid. No problem for me what so ever.
Sure, and I've got no complaints about my K20D either despite what I am sure is rather fewer shots.

This is not a rational thing, is the problem. If you're looking at actual performance, for most applications and probable lifetimes (that "the electronics aren't likely to make six years" thing) the polycarbonate body is just plain better; lighter, stronger, costs less, doesn't transmit as much heat so it's not trying to suck the warmth out of your hands, etc.

Despite that, "explosively formed titanium/scandium alloy solid chassis" would sell cameras. If they can get "laser ablative machining" in there somewhere, even better. You'd think many people have a use case for their camera that involves clubbing bears.
01-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

Imagine...
Pentax will miss PMA. No new DSLR. Only close to May.
And FF camera close to November, 2009.