Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
It has been suggested in other threads that Panasonic use Ned's traitorous act as an ad slogun, but that idea was shot down by Panasonic themselves when market research showed that nobody in any of the test groups even knew who Pentax was. Or that their primary competition has names like Nikon, Canon and Sony.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I doubt Panasonic/Leica has discussed it much since Ned only posted that in his blog on Friday and it is just Sunday. Besides, anyone that goes, who is Pentax is likely to go, "who is Leica?"
Geez, do we need /sarcasm tags around here? This is such a phony controversy that it's laughable.

01-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Geez, do we need /sarcasm tags around here? This is such a phony controversy that it's laughable.
It was intended to be. Your comment was what was laughable when you stated that Panasonic/Leica had decided whether or not to use the blog as ad fodder. Furthermore, I did not realize there was a controversy. Why is it some guys around here like to have an opinion but get pissy when any one else does. (That was rhetorical)

Edit: BTW, Rancho Caucamonga or more specifically Alta Loma has the finest Triple Cream Sherry on the planet.
01-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #18

It was intended to be. Your comment was what was laughable when you stated that Panasonic/Leica had decided whether or not to use the blog as ad fodder. Furthermore, I did not realize there was a controversy. Why is it some guys around here like to have an opinion but get pissy when any one else does. (That was rhetorical)

Edit: BTW, Rancho Caucamonga or more specifically Alta Loma has the finest Triple Cream Sherry on the planet.
As a somewhat related sidenote, some of you may remember Avis's marketing slogan from a while back, "We're number 2 so we try harder". The interesting thing about that approach was stopping trying to convince people they were the absolute best and trying to convince them they were the best in their niche. The interesting bit was that the slogan was a lie. They weren't number 2, or 3, or even 4th. Worldwide they were around 6th in sales when they came up with that slogan. NOW they actually DO compete with Hertz. Maybe Pentax can do the same thing with their focus on their niche.

Coke actually did the exact opposite with Pepsi. Coke perceived Pepsi as a threat long before Pepsi had caught on with the general public. It wasn't until Coca-Cola started advertising against Pepsi that people started really trying it and Coca-Cola became a victim of their own advertising.
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #19

I can appreciate Bunnel being a collector including new stuff. However, Leica is a niche market camera company and the market is currently very unpredictable and I don't see the need for the President of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. to be writing rave reviews for the competition. It would be kinda like the head of the Jeep division showing up to work every day driving a Rover. WTF.
Do you follow point and shoot cameras? Panasonic LX3 is hands down the best P&S this year. Last year it was a tight race between LX2 and G9. At least the guy has the good sense not to buy the Panasonic version of the Leica Dlux4 to save Pentax so face.

Why shouldn't he buy the best P&S on the market today. And frankly it has a custom 1/1.6" sensor. Pentax is not in the positionn to order a custom made CCD sensor for its product lines. They have to use whatever Sony is selling at the moment.

What's so hard to understand.

Frankly I wish he get a Panasonic G1 and pay close attention to it. Maybe Pentax will make something in the same class but vastly improve in both size and price in the future?

01-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Do you follow point and shoot cameras? Panasonic LX3 is hands down the best P&S this year. Last year it was a tight race between LX2 and G9. At least the guy has the good sense not to buy the Panasonic version of the Leica Dlux4 to save Pentax so face.

Why shouldn't he buy the best P&S on the market today. And frankly it has a custom 1/1.6" sensor. Pentax is not in the positionn to order a custom made CCD sensor for its product lines. They have to use whatever Sony is selling at the moment.

What's so hard to understand.

Frankly I wish he get a Panasonic G1 and pay close attention to it. Maybe Pentax will make something in the same class but vastly improve in both size and price in the future?
Did you actually READ what I said? I never said he should not buy it. I just questioning whether or not the President of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. should be writing one of the best hands on review of the Leica model. It is a very good model, However, it is one of the most expensive models as well. It currently costs more than I paid for my K20D or K200d.

Maybe the President of Leica will buy a P70 or A40 and write a review of it for us on his/her Blog since Ned does not have time in his Blog.
01-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #21

Did you actually READ what I said? I never said he should not buy it. I just questioning whether or not the President of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. should be writing one of the best hands on review of the Leica model. It is a very good model, However, it is one of the most expensive models as well. It currently costs more than I paid for my K20D or K200d.

Maybe the President of Leica will buy a P70 or A40 and write a review of it for us on his/her Blog since Ned does not have time in his Blog.
It's not an official blog. It's not blog.pentaxusa.com. It's not even nedbunnell.com. He is just writing a dairy for his own friends and family. This is basically his personal life.

Maybe he should use an avatar name but the guy should have the freedom to say whatever is in his mind or camera he use in his personal time. The guy is not trying to paddle an agenda. Leave the guy alone. This is just something you have to learn to live with in the web 2.0 age.
01-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
It's not an official blog. It's not blog.pentaxusa.com. It's not even nedbunnell.com. He is just writing a dairy for his own friends and family. This is basically his personal life.

Maybe he should use an avatar name but the guy should have the freedom to say whatever is in his mind or camera he use in his personal time. The guy is not trying to paddle an agenda. Leave the guy alone. This is just something you have to learn to live with in the web 2.0 age.
You just did it again, taking things out of context. I never said he should not be able to do what he wants with his personal camera collection or his Blog. Its one of the best Blogs based in the U.S.

QuoteQuote:
Leave the guy alone.
What? Are you saying that when I saw his Blog I should not have an opinion?
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

No worries, this was not directed at you specifically, but at a few posters who suggested that Panasonic would use Ned's blog post as an ad piece, which I think is pretty silly for a number of reasons that I hinted at in my post.

Anyway, to more important things: which Alta Loma winery has this Triple Cream Sherry?

01-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter

No worries, this was not directed at you specifically, but at a few posters who suggested that Panasonic would use Ned's blog post as an ad piece, which I think is pretty silly for a number of reasons that I hinted at in my post.

Anyway, to more important things: which Alta Loma winery has this Triple Cream Sherry?
Rancho De Philo. They are open 1 week out of the year and sell out over a period of a few days. It is 18 years old when it goes in the bottle.

Edit: They are open in the fall.
01-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You just did it again, taking things out of context.
Good one
01-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

[Oh no. It's this debate again. Talk about your thread hijaak.]

But yes, Phil B, it is a shame Pentax does not have the infrastructure that Canon has, but that is unsurprising. They have to get bigger through sales but cannot get sales unless they are bigger. It's the old story of mass market consumption... those with the most mass get the most consumption.

Thankfully we now have the internet to get around that. Every piece of Pentax gear I bought was sight unseen. The honesty of people like Bunnell and Michael Johnston helped in my decision-making considerably. Had I wanted yes-men and bland acceptance of the norm I would have bought a Canon.

And that might not have been a mistake, except I doubt I could afford a Canon that would do my talent justice.
01-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Please respect the thread starter by answering to the topic. A light deviation of topic is fine but the trend here seems to be a deliberate act.

If you want no intervention from the moderation team, please refrain from testing out our tolerance threshold.
01-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Please respect the thread starter by answering to the topic. A light deviation of topic is fine but the trend here seems to be a deliberate act.

If you want no intervention from the moderation team, please refrain from testing out our tolerance threshold.
Hey, we are on topic. The head of Pentax sales etc. in the U.S. is busy trying out Leica products. Hence, the lack of Pentax in many areas of the U.S.

However, Maybe this is the beginning of a new Pentax promotion. By posting in Leica Talk, eveyone will be wondering "who" Pentax is.
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Phillbaum,

Back to your OP, this is an interesting Blog that puts things in to perspective. I have drawn several similar conclusions myself.

PENTAX DSLRs: The brick and mortar Camera Stores are out, the On-line Stores are in.
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #30
Pentaxian

They would be blowing an excellent opportunity if they don't!

"Top Pentax Guy prefers Leica!"
Or, "Leica. Fishing For Complliments From Pentax Shooters Since 1965."

As for what's present in what stores, well, this is about retail chains trying to do 'volume business' and a whole number of other things. Often what ends up in a shop isn't even what the managers *know* ought to be there.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-27-2009 at 10:38 PM.