Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera Stores are selling low-priced DSLRs

The only adequate camera store I have access to is 2 hours away, Kenmore Camera in Seattle, WA. I spent over an hour in there yesterday looking at tripods close to the sales desk.

For phone calls, i could only hear one side of the conversation, but many calls would go like this:

"Oh yeah, we've got several low priced DSLRs, the prices have really dropped. Yeah, the Canon Rebel is also very compact and easy to carry, if you would like that"

On the front of the store was this large banner " Canon Rebel XT $499"

I asked at the desk what Pentax they had, on the shelf was a Pentax K20D and they were waiting for the K2000's to come in. They do carry several used Pentax lenses. This isn't a chain store but a family started store, clerks are very knowledgeable and courteous without exception.

But if the conversations i heard yesterday (while dithering over which tripod to buy) were any indication - a significant part of their business seems to be folks buying low end DSLRs. Pentax was absolutely right to get a compact K2000 out, but how come they can't keep the stores stocked?

I bought the tripod from the lady who originally helped me 2 days before, she appreciated that i was aware that they worked on commission. She said she really liked the Pentax lenses.

01-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
. . .

But if the conversations i heard yesterday (while dithering over which tripod to buy) were any indication - a significant part of their business seems to be folks buying low end DSLRs. Pentax was absolutely right to get a compact K2000 out, but how come they can't keep the stores stocked?

. . .

Perhaps because the head of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. is running around reviewing the Leica D-Lux 4.

NED BUNNELL
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Perhaps because the head of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. is running around reviewing the Leica D-Lux 4.

NED BUNNELL
You can just see the next Leica advert in the magazines can't you .....
01-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting off topic but............ :o

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

I don't really know what to say about that.......... mind boggeling at best.
Doesn't say much for the Optio line (I know not the same "class") and though I like the truthfullness aspect it just seems..... WRONG..............

01-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
There was an interesting review in Practical Photography in which they roughly stated that K2000 (or K-m) is a nice camera, but Canon and Nikon (and Sony) are delivering equal or more for less, and that if you do not have legacy lens, it's not worth it.

It surprised me that K2000 is more expensive than K200D.

So, Pentax should revise prices and give best value as he once did. Maybe then it will be more popuar.
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I don't really know what to say about that.......... mind boggeling at best.
Doesn't say much for the Optio line (I know not the same "class") and though I like the truthfullness aspect it just seems..... WRONG..............
Different worlds they belong to. No comparison possible.

Rui
01-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I can appreciate Bunnel being a collector including new stuff. However, Leica is a niche market camera company and the market is currently very unpredictable and I don't see the need for the President of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. to be writing rave reviews for the competition. It would be kinda like the head of the Jeep division showing up to work every day driving a Rover. WTF.

01-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
They would be blowing an excellent opportunity if they don't!

"Top Pentax Guy prefers Leica!"
01-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Phil,

While up there for work last summer, I found a place by accident in the Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, Tall's camera. They had the DA* lenses, and 4 or 5 other Pentax lenses and Pentax cameras. They even had a new Tamron 1.4x teleconvertor that works with the SDM . . .well . .they don't have it anymore as I selfishly globbed on to it. .

I purchased the pentax DFA 2.8 100mm macro there and he also had the 50mm macro. choices choices . .They weren't the cheapest, but just finding a place with a selection of Pentax is unusual.
01-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

I can appreciate Bunnel being a collector including new stuff. However, Leica is a niche market camera company and the market is currently very unpredictable and I don't see the need for the President of Pentax Imaging in the U.S. to be writing rave reviews for the competition. It would be kinda like the head of the Jeep division showing up to work every day driving a Rover. WTF.
No, it's like the head of the Jeep division showing up to work in a Bugatti Veyron. Sure a Jeep and a Veyron will both get you from point A to point B, but besides both combusting fuel they're completely different methods of transport .

I've always found Pentax to be really well represented in my local camera stores (Don's Photo, Photo Central and Henry's). They even keep 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, etc.) in Pentax mount in stock.
01-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GEli Quote
No, it's like the head of the Jeep division showing up to work in a Bugatti Veyron. Sure a Jeep and a Veyron will both get you from point A to point B, but besides both combusting fuel they're completely different methods of transport .

I've always found Pentax to be really well represented in my local camera stores (Don's Photo, Photo Central and Henry's). They even keep 3rd party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, etc.) in Pentax mount in stock.
A Bugatti can't go where a Jeep or Rover can go. Also, Bunnell isn't the head of Pentax Canada. However, if I were in NY City, I could go into a plethora of stores and find a lot of Pentax and maybe in Atlanta and L.A. But in most of Florida, forget seeing Pentax on the shelves.
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE]
QuoteOriginally posted by 300xcw Quote
Phil,

While up there for work last summer, I found a place by accident in the Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, Tall's camera. They had the DA* lenses, and 4 or 5 other Pentax lenses and Pentax cameras. They even had a new Tamron 1.4x teleconvertor that works with the SDM . . .well . .they don't have it anymore as I selfishly globbed on to it. .

I purchased the pentax DFA 2.8 100mm macro there and he also had the 50mm macro. choices choices . .They weren't the cheapest, but just finding a place with a selection of Pentax is unusual.[/QUOTE
Thanks, thats a good tip, i've heard the name of that store before, i'll be sure to check them out.
01-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NED BUNNELL
I'm sure that's the reason that so many of my acquaintances bought DigiRebels and D40s recently. That, and "it's what the salesman told me was best", "the store doesn't stock Pentax", or "Pen-what?"

It has been suggested in other threads that Panasonic use Ned's traitorous act as an ad slogun, but that idea was shot down by Panasonic themselves when market research showed that nobody in any of the test groups even knew who Pentax was. Or that their primary competition has names like Nikon, Canon and Sony.
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
. . .
It has been suggested in other threads that Panasonic use Ned's traitorous act as an ad slogun, but that idea was shot down by Panasonic themselves when market research showed that nobody in any of the test groups even knew who Pentax was. Or that their primary competition has names like Nikon, Canon and Sony.
I doubt Panasonic/Leica has discussed it much since Ned only posted that in his blog on Friday and it is just Sunday. Besides, anyone that goes, who is Pentax is likely to go, "who is Leica?"
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

"who is Leica?"
And the follow up comment, "I sure do Leica this Canon Rebel!"