Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Thats true too. MacIntosh to Granny Smith?
sure

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The viewfinder turned out to be as important as the sensor in this decision. I always used live view on my K20 because I could zoom in and guarantee I was hitting my focus target, then I zoom out, compose and shoot. I'd fall back to the Katzeye view screen at times. I didn't mind working this way and with these tools I had improved my focus accuracy because shooting with the standard screen, I would compose my subject in focus, but upon inspection, hitting perfect focus was usually a crap shoot, especially at the apertures I enjoy. I'd accepted this as a way of working, made the best and shot (a lot!). Now I've realised in person why some people argue that even though there is no live view on the A900, its not as necessary. I've only 3 days of experience shooting with it so far, but I can state one of the keys to my confidence with the switch was the viewfinder/backscreen combo. When I focus on something in the viewfinder and shoot, its always exactly what I thought I was shooting. Simply, I instantly became more confident shooting with the A900 - yes, you can buy confidence, I've done it. This camera was made for manual focus, it is a relief but the K20 taught me better than this could have to start with. The back screen is a very good tool, very high resolution. If I were building a camera I'd always make this choice, it is eye candy, and helps to see right away that you've hit your shot and again, with the 24MP Exmore, noise and motion blur are 'zoomed out', so they have to be a lot worse to be unacceptable than with the K20 sensor. Thus, even if the K20 and A900 handled noise equally, you wouln't see it as much on the A900. 1600 real world is not a problem. As above, the K20 was a strict teacher by comparison. End result, my keeper rate instantly takes a big turn up, from composition and execution accuracy to final image care of the sensor, plus, plus, plus. There really is no going back for me, hence the decision to sell. I was hoping to buy this as a Pentax product but it seems they have another direction in mind, so I followed my personal flow.
i agree about the viewfinder thing, after using the MZ-S for a while, i can actually tell when stuff is in focus. and the VF in the A900 should be even better than any Pentax AF body.

01-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Nice, this thread started with the question " Any new rumours about a Pentax FF DSLR yet?" and ended with yet another Pentax forum member and long time user buying Sony FF rig.
Just when we finally all agreed that Pentax does not need FF body at the moment. He-He.
BTW Congratulations on your new toy thePiRaTE!!
02-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #123
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Nice, this thread started with the question " Any new rumours about a Pentax FF DSLR yet?" and ended with yet another Pentax forum member and long time user buying Sony FF rig.
Just when we finally all agreed that Pentax does not need FF body at the moment. He-He.
BTW Congratulations on your new toy thePiRaTE!!
lolz, thanks. I suppose the company must focus on its bread and butter, my choice was an acceptance of such. All the best!

K.