Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any new rumours about a Pentax FF DSLR yet?

Curious if they can sit back and let Canon and Nikon only do FF.

01-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Damn Brit

How would FF improve your photography, what will FF give you that your current sensor doesn't?

Welcome to the forum BTW.
01-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

...and Sony.

There are countless/pointless threads everywhere on this forum already, all just as irrelevant and the next. Take your pick!

Jason
01-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The latest official statement is that they have currently no plans and are not working on one.
But they are "carefully observing the market".

01-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #5

fullframe smulframe

Screw FF I want medium format. FF haters complain that you lose DOF because you have to get closer to fill the frame with your subject. But can you imagine being able to get more into the frame with the same narrow DOF.

I randomly stumbled across this guys flickr stream and it has me seriously considering going over to film "Fly away eyes on Flickr" !
You just don't have that control with an APS-C. I'll settle for FF just because it's a step in the right direction and I wouldn't have to buy new lenses. But the second that a consumer priced(or at least not hasselblad professional priced) Medium Format, with all the modcons of digital(decent iso, ergonomic design, ect), system comes out I'll be first in line
01-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

hmm, looks like some PS layering to me.

Jason
01-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

carefully observing the market, really?

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The latest official statement is that they have currently no plans and are not working on one.
But they are "carefully observing the market".

If they were really "carefully observing the market", they would have seen that it's Pentax' turn now.
No other brothers left w/o a FF DSLR "except them" at the moment.

01-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
If they were really "carefully observing the market", they would have seen that it's Pentax' turn now.
No other brothers left w/o a FF DSLR "except them" at the moment.
What about Fuji, Oly, Pana and Leica then ?
01-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Stickers Quote
Screw FF I want medium format. FF haters complain that you lose DOF because you have to get closer to fill the frame with your subject. But can you imagine being able to get more into the frame with the same narrow DOF.

I randomly stumbled across this guys flickr stream and it has me seriously considering going over to film "Fly away eyes on Flickr" !
You just don't have that control with an APS-C. I'll settle for FF just because it's a step in the right direction and I wouldn't have to buy new lenses. But the second that a consumer priced(or at least not hasselblad professional priced) Medium Format, with all the modcons of digital(decent iso, ergonomic design, ect), system comes out I'll be first in line
That's medium format...you won't have such DOF with FF too...anyway, AMAZING
01-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You're right, I was seeing (want to see) Pentax among big brothers. But it's not really.
Now, after years, I can understand why almost everybody (and almost all of my friends) buy either canikon!
01-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Fuji is out of the DSLR business , Oly and Pana are locked in their 4/3rd format but finally getting it to where it should have headed in the first place (ultra compact bodies nice to carry but not so nice to shoot with IMO) and Leica... has its x1.3 M8 and a full line of MF coming out... at Leica prices!!

Pentax is finishing building up a complete APS-C DSLR system "ala Pentax" (ie without high end models). They have never had those kind of cameras anyway so... why would they have them now?

I think they will stay there at least for another one good year, maybe more.

I don't think we will know if Pentax wants to go FF until Photokina 2010 and it makes sense since they are not able to build a sub-1500€ FF (nobody is...) and probably cannot sell any camera out of this price range.

But of course they have to stay afloat like everyone else.

I am interested to see what they will say and show at PMA; what is this "interesting" direction they want to go? Marketing gimmick to keep people interested or real clever ideas?

It's certainly not FF so what is it and will it be enough to keep the fans in and bring new ones?
01-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It's certainly not FF so what is it and will it be enough to keep the fans in and bring new ones?
That would be the 60-250. Please? Pretty please?
01-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
You're right, I was seeing (want to see) Pentax among big brothers. But it's not really.
Now, after years, I can understand why almost everybody (and almost all of my friends) buy either canikon!
Feeling left out? Insecure? I feel sorry for you if your photographic enjoyment is determined by the brand on the prism hump of your camera than actual photos.
01-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Look to whether the new 55mm f1.4 and 60-250mm when released are full frame compatible for a possible indication... If they are not FF, it obviously still won't mean FF is not a possibility, just that the timetable might be longer..
01-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
Forum Member

If pentax brings out a FF. Then there will certainly be a format size war going, which will eventually lead to 70mm sensor or similar (a matter of time at consumer affordable price tags after R&D cost recovered, like the never affordable 24" HD LCD in the late 90's). Bigger lens with larger apecture will come out as brother are endlessly demanding for quality more than ever.

Because that is the trend.