Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I have to say Samsungian, your statement here was the final straw. I looked around and things indeed were going up. Even the K20 is more expensive now at prodigital2000, yet, the A900 was still the same price at the Sony store (for now). In fact, after explaining to the manager I was considering switching from a competing brand he took down my list of wants, tapped a few keys and knocked the price on everything down more than 10%. Thats huge in camera margin terms. I bought everything. Won't hear me whingeing about FF anymore on here

K.
One reason I picked up a 31ltd this week, though BH still has it at $799. The K2000 for $350 was a steal from ProDigital, so I'm not really in the market for anything else at the moment. It'll be interesting to watch though.

01-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Pentax really doesn't have a rumor in the Full Frame class. Actually, Pentax doesn't even have a rumor in any DSLR class camera that I can find. Although I really want a Pentax DSLR rumor, FF or otherwise, they just are not in that market. So, I have gone out and found a rumor that works for me.

Following Ned's lead, I found my new rumor in the Nikon camp. I had considered Leica, but I needed to show that I'm an individual, and I', not following Ned blindly. Now at first I really felt like I had jumped ship to the Nikon rumor camp, but I soon realised that my life has room for both Nikon and Pentax rumors. The one I finally settled on is the D400 rumor. I really like it. It has lots of fake photoshoped images, strange articles written in Russian, it has crazy high specs (that might not be real), and it has a strong following of both belivers and nonbelievers.

So even though Pentax is without a rumor in the class that I am looking for, I was able to find one that really works for me.

Nikon D400 in a Russian magazine | Nikon Rumors

Here is a link if you want to try the rumor out yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of other links, but this one sums it up.

---------------

Here are some "in the wild photos". I like the black gafer's tape.

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/01/24/possible-nikon-d400-spy-shot.aspx

Last edited by KungPOW; 01-29-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added a link
01-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Outstanding!

Good for you! Glad I could Help

Yeah its weird about the Sony A900. I've never noticed it shed even 1c off launch price.

I have to say Samsungian, your statement here was the final straw. I looked around and things indeed were going up. Even the K20 is more expensive now at prodigital2000, yet, the A900 was still the same price at the Sony store (for now). In fact, after explaining to the manager I was considering switching from a competing brand he took down my list of wants, tapped a few keys and knocked the price on everything down more than 10%. Thats huge in camera margin terms. I bought everything. Won't hear me whingeing about FF anymore on here

K.
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #109
Veteran Member

I posted the Inspiring D400 specs 1-23-09

Man thats got some sweet specs huh? BUT $2,000 price is as eyeopening to me for any mount aps-c dslr:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/40845-k30d-k300d-specu...tml#post461144

I've read the sensor in Nikon D400 will first issue in Sony A800 so this Nikon likely won't show up at PMA 2009, whereas the Sony version should.

Lucky for us were just a month away from the newest wave of imaging products.

On 1-23-08 Pentax announced their K20D so any day now we could begin to see whats new for 2009.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax really doesn't have a rumor in the Full Frame class. Actually, Pentax doesn't even have a rumor in any DSLR class camera that I can find. Although I really want a Pentax DSLR rumor, FF or otherwise, they just are not in that market. So, I have gone out and found a rumor that works for me.

Following Ned's lead, I found my new rumor in the Nikon camp. I had considered Leica, but I needed to show that I'm an individual, and I', not following Ned blindly. Now at first I really felt like I had jumped ship to the Nikon rumor camp, but I soon realised that my life has room for both Nikon and Pentax rumors. The one I finally settled on is the D400 rumor. I really like it. It has lots of fake photoshoped images, strange articles written in Russian, it has crazy high specs (that might not be real), and it has a strong following of both belivers and nonbelievers.

So even though Pentax is without a rumor in the class that I am looking for, I was able to find one that really works for me.

Nikon D400 in a Russian magazine | Nikon Rumors

Here is a link if you want to try the rumor out yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of other links, but this one sums it up.

---------------

Here are some "in the wild photos". I like the black gafer's tape.

Possible Nikon D400 spy shot | Nikon Rumors

01-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #110

K20d getting replaced in one year is too soon for a Pentax "top" body. It makes sense for K200d, plus its already discontinued. 14mp sensor and live view, you don't need rumor mill for that, just just comon sense.
01-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #111
Veteran Member

K.
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Good for you! Glad I could Help

Yeah its weird about the Sony A900. I've never noticed it shed even 1c off launch price.
I've read in one of the tech blogs I frequent (I can't find the article, though) that Sony made an announcement that they'll keep prices stable in the midst of the economic crisis. It's probably true that they're making a loss on every new DSLR they launched in 2008, so no sense in further lowering the revenues they get from those cameras. And it keeps investors happy, I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
K20d getting replaced in one year is too soon for a Pentax "top" body. It makes sense for K200d, plus its already discontinued. 14mp sensor and live view, you don't need rumor mill for that, just just comon sense.
I'll agree that the K20D isn't even long in the tooth and is in no need of any replacement now, but who knows? There's a lot of pressure exerted on the K20D's tier, with the D90, D300, 40D, 50D, 450D, A700 (maybe an A800 even, if rumors pan out), A350, E-30, E-3, and G1 either competing directly against the K20D or sandwiching it in price.

Ideally, the K200D update gets some K20D tech and a higher level body is released, though I have concerns with releasing a high-end body with the economy in shambles and not much of a pro base to sell that body to.
01-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I'll agree that the K20D isn't even long in the tooth and is in no need of any replacement now, but who knows? There's a lot of pressure exerted on the K20D's tier, with the D90, D300, 40D, 50D, 450D, A700 (maybe an A800 even, if rumors pan out), A350, E-30, E-3, and G1 either competing directly against the K20D or sandwiching it in price.
I am not familiar with A350, (which is in a noisy country anyway), everything else you list here is more expensive than the K20D. I don't count the G1 since I can't imagine anybody cross shop a K20D and a G1.

QuoteQuote:
Ideally, the K200D update gets some K20D tech and a higher level body is released, though I have concerns with releasing a high-end body with the economy in shambles and not much of a pro base to sell that body to.
More the reason they wouldn't release a K30 now.

01-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I am not familiar with A350, (which is in a noisy country anyway), everything else you list here is more expensive than the K20D. I don't count the G1 since I can't imagine anybody cross shop a K20D and a G1.
In the US, maybe, but pricing is different in other parts of the globe, and Canon and Nikon can ride on their brand recognition (developed through good marketing) to be able to coax people to pay more for their products, even though the K20D is a better value in some respects.
01-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #114
Forum Member

K.
I've noticed the new equipment in Flickr. Pls say you're staying with Pentax.
You've been an inspiration for me with the shots you took with the K20D.
01-31-2009, 02:29 AM   #115
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
I've noticed the new equipment in Flickr. Pls say you're staying with Pentax.
You've been an inspiration for me with the shots you took with the K20D.
Well thanks for saying so sir, it's always been my hope that I would be able to pass on the passion I've taken from viewing the work of others before me, so this is a great compliment I'm afraid I can't afford to keep both systems. I bought the Sony knowing I could return it if I wasn't covinced my money was well spent, but it was. It'll be a big pain in the butt to turn over all my K-mount stuff, but I have no regrets. I actually came up here to start my sales post, glad I popped into this thread first K20 is a fine camera, A900 - just finer, hehe.

I'll have both cameras for a while, but my Planar for the Sony is still on order. I was hoping if it got here before the Pentax left, I'd do a little Planar shoot out for the heck of it. If anyone had any other questions between K20-A900 - shoot.

K.
01-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Well thanks for saying so sir, it's always been my hope that I would be able to pass on the passion I've taken from viewing the work of others before me, so this is a great compliment I'm afraid I can't afford to keep both systems. I bought the Sony knowing I could return it if I wasn't covinced my money was well spent, but it was. It'll be a big pain in the butt to turn over all my K-mount stuff, but I have no regrets. I actually came up here to start my sales post, glad I popped into this thread first K20 is a fine camera, A900 - just finer, hehe.

I'll have both cameras for a while, but my Planar for the Sony is still on order. I was hoping if it got here before the Pentax left, I'd do a little Planar shoot out for the heck of it. If anyone had any other questions between K20-A900 - shoot.

K.
I'm just thankful that you're none too an*l about your system switch. I really do advocate people going with the system that suits them best, just as long as they remain classy over it.

I'd like to ask, though, if Sony has an implementation to get in-body IS to work with manual lenses like Pentax has (via entering the specific focal length). This is something that I was always curious about, since the Alpha mount is able to mount M42 lenses, at least.

Oh, and could you mail me a full-size photo of the A900 with ISO 6400? I'm none too convinced with the stuff I see over the net, and would appreciate one taken by someone who has skill and used in real-life situations. Or if that's too big to send, even just a portion of the photo that I could view to 100% will be fine. Thanks!

Oh, and I know it's not a fair comparison, but did you feel a big difference between viewfinders with the K20D and A900?
01-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #117
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I'm just thankful that you're none too an*l about your system switch. I really do advocate people going with the system that suits them best, just as long as they remain classy over it.

I'd like to ask, though, if Sony has an implementation to get in-body IS to work with manual lenses like Pentax has (via entering the specific focal length). This is something that I was always curious about, since the Alpha mount is able to mount M42 lenses, at least.

Oh, and could you mail me a full-size photo of the A900 with ISO 6400? I'm none too convinced with the stuff I see over the net, and would appreciate one taken by someone who has skill and used in real-life situations. Or if that's too big to send, even just a portion of the photo that I could view to 100% will be fine. Thanks!

Oh, and I know it's not a fair comparison, but did you feel a big difference between viewfinders with the K20D and A900?
And vice versa, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the supportive response I've heard from the folks I've gotten to know here. We're all photographers first, even on a brand based forum - thats awesome. I have the utmost respect for you all.

I've made some fast observations about the view finder. It was a standout feature from a manual shooters point of view. I hope sharing my point of view on the topics you brought up won't be taken as a knock on the Pentax. In fact, I'd just PM'd James on the same topic, I'll cut and paste some of my response to him:

Two weeks ago, I would not have seen myself doing this. I spent a lot of time and research choosing those lenses but the most important thing I did was learn and I'll always have that. I have to be honest, the K20 is a stricter teacher. Things like noise and motion blur appear more obvious cropped (vs larger image from A900) and thus loom larger on the final product as a result. Physically, the K20D is a stand-out. Its easily the equal (and better sealed) than the A900 in this regard, and its very well featured too. The Pentax at its price is a fine piece of kit and I do not regret my time with it, I learned a lot but I'm comfortable with the change.

The viewfinder turned out to be as important as the sensor in this decision. I always used live view on my K20 because I could zoom in and guarantee I was hitting my focus target, then I zoom out, compose and shoot. I'd fall back to the Katzeye view screen at times. I didn't mind working this way and with these tools I had improved my focus accuracy because shooting with the standard screen, I would compose my subject in focus, but upon inspection, hitting perfect focus was usually a crap shoot, especially at the apertures I enjoy. I'd accepted this as a way of working, made the best and shot (a lot!). Now I've realised in person why some people argue that even though there is no live view on the A900, its not as necessary. I've only 3 days of experience shooting with it so far, but I can state one of the keys to my confidence with the switch was the viewfinder/backscreen combo. When I focus on something in the viewfinder and shoot, its always exactly what I thought I was shooting. Simply, I instantly became more confident shooting with the A900 - yes, you can buy confidence, I've done it. This camera was made for manual focus, it is a relief but the K20 taught me better than this could have to start with. The back screen is a very good tool, very high resolution. If I were building a camera I'd always make this choice, it is eye candy, and helps to see right away that you've hit your shot and again, with the 24MP Exmore, noise and motion blur are 'zoomed out', so they have to be a lot worse to be unacceptable than with the K20 sensor. Thus, even if the K20 and A900 handled noise equally, you wouln't see it as much on the A900. 1600 real world is not a problem. As above, the K20 was a strict teacher by comparison. End result, my keeper rate instantly takes a big turn up, from composition and execution accuracy to final image care of the sensor, plus, plus, plus. There really is no going back for me, hence the decision to sell. I was hoping to buy this as a Pentax product but it seems they have another direction in mind, so I followed my personal flow.

I'll give you some samples when I get my Planar, then we can have an apples to apples. The 135 STF is rediculously sharp (check photozone), it'll skew things.

The mount for M42, in order to take advantage of the SR, has to trigger the AF conformation on the mount, thus a chipped adapter is required. This is an extra step not required with the K20, but it can still be done. I've ordered one that has four selectable focal range/aperture combos programmed on for $70 to use with my M42s. I guess the bright side is my Exif data will sometimes be more correct than before.

Anyways, I've got to run for now. Hope I haven't come across too strong in any way, I'm just hoping to share my decision.

Much respect,

Kelly.
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #118
Veteran Member

the ZA85 != ZK85 so technically not apples to apples
01-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #119
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the ZA85 != ZK85 so technically not apples to apples
Thats true too. MacIntosh to Granny Smith?
01-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I was very close to buying the a900 but decided that I didn't want to drop $5K (and that just for body and one lens) right now. Plus I just like the feel of the K20d with an FA ltd prime on it. The a900 with Zeiss 24-70 isn't exactly svelte

The files from the Sony are gorgeous though. I might consider adding the Sony system down the road, though I rather don't like the company very much. Personal thing I know, but they have been so proprietary over the years they have mostly lost me as a customer. Stringer is trying to change the culture but it is a hard job...

Congrats on the a900 though. I'm jealous. You might need to sell me one of your K-mount lenses cheap to make me feel better