Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
The only way Canon and NIkon will FAIL is if the entire board of directors take LSD and go to Reno and never come back.. and even then, there are failsafe protocols for that too...
Look, I explained that trip during the trial. It was product research, plain and simple. The brothel costs were to check low light performance of the new FF bodies.

heh...FF bodies. I'll say they were...

01-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Look, I explained that trip during the trial. It was product research, plain and simple. The brothel costs were to check low light performance of the new FF bodies.

heh...FF bodies. I'll say they were...
BUAHAHAHAH
01-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote
what is you're opinion ? here is my 2 cents worth .....
Dudes, in the past Pentax spent more and more time advancing on film cameras while nike and cannon, jumped the digital banwagon early, that is why these 2 have ff digital slr cameras now. Pentax decided to jump on that train, but was a bit late and missed it. They have brought out some amasing slrs but they have not arrived at the ff level. Be patient, time will show and soon we will see a ff Pentax in the future...
ABCWinter ( Laurie :P
With the way markets are acting at the moment, I’m very happy that Pentax is not out swimming with a hold-no-bars FF model. Sony is not making any money in the camera division at the moment, and the luxury models are hit the hardest.

With the K20 high Iso ability and great sensor, I think the line is well laid out for Pentax at the moment. Lets see what PMA will bring. I would be interested in a K2, high-end APS-C crop cam. But I acknowledge that others would like Pentax to go medium format for now instead.

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
@vinzer: similar the same intention: ok, thats another point of view, but it's quite similar to mine. You additionally have the problem of backward-compatibility with auto-focus (SDM)... but we want both FF-compatible lenses.

@RaduA: Hmm... tell me where I can buy a new FA* 600/4, tell me where I can buy a new A50/1.2 ...

Of course I know that there are superb lenses and primes out, but I don't want them as 2nd hand products!
The FA* 600/4 is special order from Japan, like this user :
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com/2008/06/eating-my-own-words.html
"After good help from Boris (Pentax-ways), I can confirm availability of FA* 600/4 from Japan. The "by order" status at the Japanese website is accurate, but apparently only applies to vendors on the domestic market. Two dealers have independently confirmed to me by email that they can still order this lens from Pentax.
If anyone care to buy me one and send it here, feel free. It's only 8300 USD. :-) :-)"

And here is a new A* 50/1.2 :
Pentax 20987 - smc P-A 50mm F1.2 - Pentax Lenses - High Quality Camera Lens

Here are some other rarities, new from stores :
FA 20mm F2.8
http://www.sanealcamera.com/ECscripts/ECware.exe/dcp?id=001&sku=22880&type=A1QH1&lc=EN

FA 28mm F2.8 AL
http://www.sanealcamera.com/ECscripts/ECware.exe/dcp?id=001&sku=22527&type=A1QH1&lc=EN

Last edited by Jonson PL; 01-27-2009 at 03:42 PM.
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Canon and NIkon have such a large infrastructure that goes beyond photography that they cannot fail, and unlike pentax they can easily afford to throw money at experimental products. The only way Canon and NIkon will FAIL is if the entire board of directors take LSD and go to Reno and never come back.. and even then, there are failsafe protocols for that too...
I think Nikon is in the same league as Pentax, as far as infrastructure is concerned. Both are backed by a top-tier company (Mitsubishi and Hoya for Nikon and Pentax, respectively), and both have products outside of photography.

Of course, the difference here is that Mitsubishi has had Nikon for much longer, so they've got things sorted out pretty good already, and Hoya's still rearranging Pentax to their liking.

Personally, I find it amazing how Nikon managed to keep in step in Canon (even maybe surpass it) all these years, since from how I understand it, Nikon is a relatively smaller company to Canon for the most part. Feel free to correct this thought of mine if it's wrong.

01-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Hmmm, thanks for the heads-up. I found the lens after some looking around pentax.jp, but can't seem to find an official Pentax Japan online store...any ideas?
This place had it pretty often in the past: eBay Store - Matsuiyastore: Nikon, Konica minolta, Zeiss
Their Pentax inventory is presently the lowest I've every seen tho. But contact them and I'm sure they can/will order it for you.
01-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Personally, I find it amazing how Nikon managed to keep in step in Canon (even maybe surpass it) all these years, since from how I understand it, Nikon is a relatively smaller company to Canon for the most part. Feel free to correct this thought of mine if it's wrong.

Well, Nikon really *didn't* keep in step with Canon 'all these years,' ... actually not too long ago, talk was that Canon had an insurmountable lead in the sensor tech: things can change before you know it, I suppose it just goes to show.

With the world economy kind of ...in flux, to say the least, I think it's fairly pointless to think too much of the armchair boardroom speculation and flaming. They've got a pretty solid design philosophy going, ...retail marketshare is a problem, yes, but on the other hand, retail *itself* is kind of tanking, so maybe it's not worth the payola or whatever.

Yaknow, on the Internet, well, people geek out like it's a tragedy or sign of doom and inferiority that Pentax isn't making a two or three thousand dollar camera that can wear out its sensor being an awkward and unimpressive video camera. Or that the Live View isn't a 'state of the art' not-very-useful-to-me bundle of finder-dimming.

Sometimes I wonder if there aren't various shills out there trying to provoke some kind of dissatisfaction with what's essentially a very satisfactory product. Pentax probably ought to play to the strengths instead of trying to compete in a pretty-saturated market segment: I mean, Hoya's like the biggest manufacturer of optical glass in the world, right? Hey, that could mean a kicka** pentaprism in every model, maybe. I think that'd be a real quick way to outweigh any fuss about computerey 'features...' every photographer respects a good viewfinder. Basics.

'Slow and steady' (if any camera development can actually be called 'slow' these days) could be a 'winner.' I don't care if Pentax makes more cameras than someone else, only that they make *my* cameras, keep em in my reach, and do it well. Yes, they need to stay in business for that, of course. Silly to panic over it.
01-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Hmmm, thanks for the heads-up. I found the lens after some looking around pentax.jp, but can't seem to find an official Pentax Japan online store...any ideas?
Here are some shots from Frank, when he got the lens :
LBA: SMC A 50mm F1.2 ...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have the K 50/1.2. It is mostly just for fun, since with f/1.2 DOF is very narrow. But the built is superb, and focus ring lovely damped. Don't know about the FA 50/1.4, but I'm not sure it is built to the same quality; all metal feel.

Here are more samples with f/1.2 narrow DOF :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=30560488

Others go for the cheaper option of Cosina 55/1.2. Some great wide open shots in this thread as well :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/41357-cosina-5...-2-club-2.html

There are some agents that specialize in selling out of Japan. They will buy a product and then ship it overseas, for a charge. I remember some users buying via this option.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 01-29-2009 at 06:32 AM.
01-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I have the K 50/1.2. It is mostly just for fun, since with f/1.2 DOF is very narrow. But the built is superb, and focus ring lovely damped. Don't know about the FA 50/1.4, but I'm not sure it is built to the same quality; all metal feel.
The FA50 is an older AF design and as such is... well quite annoying to use in MF although possible because very long focus ramp. But it is very compact compared to competition.

My A50/1.7 is way more easy to focus and fun to use. No AF of course. The K50/1.4 I own are even better (construction PoV) although I should make the focus ring more damped.