Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax a turtle in a race,

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

what is you're opinion ? here is my 2 cents worth .....

Dudes, in the past Pentax spent more and more time advancing on film cameras while nike and cannon, jumped the digital banwagon early, that is why these 2 have ff digital slr cameras now. Pentax decided to jump on that train, but was a bit late and missed it. They have brought out some amasing slrs but they have not arrived at the ff level. Be patient, time will show and soon we will see a ff Pentax in the future...

For now just use what you have and enjoy the joys of wickid cool awsome photograps, if you want to spend money now invest it in fine glass. FF Pentax SLR carmera will show. After all slow and steady wins the race.. Hint... Hint....

once you get to the top of the ladder the only way to go is down hill, Cannon and Nikon are at the very top, they are very big. Pentax chose to take their time. And for that I feel those who chose to go with the Pentax flow will not be let down..

ABCWinter ( Laurie :P

01-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote
...if you want to spend money now invest it in fine glass. ...
what if I want to spend my money on more future-orientated glass? The FF lineup is too tiny :-(
That's my reason why I don't invest in Pentax glass in near future. I will buy lenses again when they are full-frame compatible. Then I have the option of an upgrade ...
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
what if I want to spend my money on more future-orientated glass? The FF lineup is too tiny :-(
That's my reason why I don't invest in Pentax glass in near future. I will buy lenses again when they are full-frame compatible. Then I have the option of an upgrade ...
I have it opposite. I'm always looking out for backwards-compatible lenses (FF-capable, with aperture rings) since I have a couple of film bodies in use still. And I reckon those lenses are future-proof still (at least, as long as Pentax uses the K-mount).
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
RaduA

Widely available FF compatible lenses:
FA31/1.8LTD
FA35/2
FA43/1.9LTD
FA50/1.4
DFA50/2.8Macro
FA77/1.8LTD
DFA100/2.8Macro
DA*200/2.8
DA*300/4
Very expensive or rare but still available:
A50/1.2
FA*600/4
Pretty much useless but available FF lenses:
a plethora of zooms such as:
FA 20mm-35mm F4 or
FA 28mm-105mm F3.2-F4.5 AL and others see here: Interchangeable Lenses : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX

Radu

01-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

@vinzer: similar the same intention: ok, thats another point of view, but it's quite similar to mine. You additionally have the problem of backward-compatibility with auto-focus (SDM)... but we want both FF-compatible lenses.

@RaduA: Hmm... tell me where I can buy a new FA* 600/4, tell me where I can buy a new A50/1.2 ... and please have a look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html - some do produce a FF picture, but I want a __corrected_for_fullframe__ lens - no crap IQ in the corners.

Of course I know that there are superb lenses and primes out, but I don't want them as 2nd hand products!

And I think that 2.8/70-200 is quite a common standard, as well as 1.8/85 or better 1.4/84 (yes, I know, the walimex and the C. Zeiss, but although I do manual focus I sometimes prefer autofocus; and there is no Pentax lens).

I would describe myself of kind a brand loyal, but how can I support my favourite brand when I have to buy used (manual-focus) lenses on ebay?
01-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... tell me where I can buy a new FA* 600/4, tell me where I can buy a new A50/1.2 ...
Special order from Japan. The 600mm f4 is only made to order with an 8 week turnaround time.

bazz.
01-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

@RaduA: Hmm... tell me where I can buy a new FA* 600/4, tell me where I can buy a new A50/1.2 ... and please have a look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html - some do produce a FF picture, but I want a __corrected_for_fullframe__ lens - no crap IQ in the corners.

Of course I know that there are superb lenses and primes out, but I don't want them as 2nd hand products!

And I think that 2.8/70-200 is quite a common standard, as well as 1.8/85 or better 1.4/84 (yes, I know, the walimex and the C. Zeiss, but although I do manual focus I sometimes prefer autofocus; and there is no Pentax lens).

I would describe myself of kind a brand loyal, but how can I support my favourite brand when I have to buy used (manual-focus) lenses on ebay?
Pentax said they don't consider FF as part of their "close" future, hence they are not introducing new FF lenses: that's coherent.

You have one or two older FA still in production and some DA seem to cover FF (mostly long tele) but I wouldn't hold my breath for a new compatible FF lens before they get a FF body out... if they ever do (ie not before Photokina 2010 IMO).

Right now, your only choice is to turn to third party lens maker and buy FF compatible lenses from them or EekBay.

01-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Special order from Japan. The 600mm f4 is only made to order with an 8 week turnaround time.

bazz.
Can you really order the 50mm f/1.2 direct from Japan? It's at the top of the 'next-lens-to-buy' list and I've only seen a few copies available at places like KEH.com.

If you really can order the 50 direct from Japan, I'll be much relieved, since that means I won't have to wait around for someone else to part with theirs!
01-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Can you really order the 50mm f/1.2 direct from Japan? It's at the top of the 'next-lens-to-buy' list and I've only seen a few copies available at places like KEH.com.

If you really can order the 50 direct from Japan, I'll be much relieved, since that means I won't have to wait around for someone else to part with theirs!
Better be quick though cos prices go up in February. The Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 will go to 96600yen up from 79800 yen.

bazz.
01-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Better be quick though cos prices go up in February. The Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 will go to 96600yen up from 79800 yen.

bazz.
Hmmm, thanks for the heads-up. I found the lens after some looking around pentax.jp, but can't seem to find an official Pentax Japan online store...any ideas?
01-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

@vinzer: similar the same intention: ok, thats another point of view, but it's quite similar to mine. You additionally have the problem of backward-compatibility with auto-focus (SDM)... but we want both FF-compatible lenses.
I have no qualms using manual focus lenses, actually. My shooting style and subjects really do not require AF (nice to have, but not a deal-breaker). I do understand those who have need of that, though (birders, sports shooters, and the like), and I'd probably be wary with buying lenses, too, if that is the case with me. I'd probably be buying Tamron and Sigma FF-compatible lenses (as long as Pentax FA Limiteds) in that case.

For now though, I'm happy with Pentax keeping the AF screw, K-mount, and green button in future models. My small lens collection is future-proof, still, that way.
01-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #12
RaduA

Sorry for the late answer, Infoomatic it was night here and after that I began the work. I saw that people already gave you some very good answers and regarding the A50/1.2 at the current prices I couldn't justify it against the DA*55. But you may have other priorities than me. Anyway one traditional seller on Ebay for new copies of A50/1.2 is eBay My World - matsuiyastore they appear from time to time and I guess you can ask for a quote from them.

Regards,
Radu
01-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want a full frame Pentax DSLR, buy DA lenses and they may afford to make a full frame DSLR!
Besides, if there will be a full frame DSLR, it will certainly automatically crop any DA lenses, so there isn't really any reason for why you shouldn't buy DA lenses if you are waiting for a full frame DSLR.
Another thing is if you still shoot with full frame film SLRs (in parallell with DSLRs) then I can understand your problem, wanting to buy lenses that work on both.
01-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
If you want a full frame Pentax DSLR, buy DA lenses and they may afford to make a full frame DSLR!
Besides, if there will be a full frame DSLR, it will certainly automatically crop any DA lenses, so there isn't really any reason for why you shouldn't buy DA lenses if you are waiting for a full frame DSLR.
Another thing is if you still shoot with full frame film SLRs (in parallell with DSLRs) then I can understand your problem, wanting to buy lenses that work on both.
This. Ideally the only non full frame lens that I will ever own is the DA* 16-50mm. I need one weather sealed body/lens combo that has a focal length suitable for general use. Just waiting for the QQ issues to go away...and my finances to improve. Perhaps, if Pentax does make a FF body and I wait long enough, a full frame alternative for the 16-50mm may appear (likely without an aperture ring, unfortunately).
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ABCWinter Quote
what is you're opinion ? here is my 2 cents worth .....

Dudes, in the past Pentax spent more and more time advancing on film cameras while nike and cannon, jumped the digital banwagon early, that is why these 2 have ff digital slr cameras now. Pentax decided to jump on that train, but was a bit late and missed it. They have brought out some amasing slrs but they have not arrived at the ff level. Be patient, time will show and soon we will see a ff Pentax in the future...

For now just use what you have and enjoy the joys of wickid cool awsome photograps, if you want to spend money now invest it in fine glass. FF Pentax SLR carmera will show. After all slow and steady wins the race.. Hint... Hint....

once you get to the top of the ladder the only way to go is down hill, Cannon and Nikon are at the very top, they are very big. Pentax chose to take their time. And for that I feel those who chose to go with the Pentax flow will not be let down..

ABCWinter ( Laurie :P
first, pentax did much less later on in history with their cameras than Canon or Nikon, with only a handful of bodies one can categorize as "pro" compared to what Canon and Nikon ended up bringing to the market. (alteast in the 35mm world)

second, Nikon and Canon did not "jump the bandwagon", in 1991 Kodak in conjunction with Nikon introduced the F-3. You should look up what the term "jump the bandwaggon" means

third, the reason canon and nikon have full frame cameras is because they have significantly more powerful means of production. SIGNIFICANTLY. Pentax does not have the market share to sustain an expensive camera. People are bitching and moaning about the current pentax camera and lens lineup. FA43 for 400 bucks? FA31 for under a grand? Are you people on CRACK? Go take a look what top end Canon and Nikon glass costs, you'll shit bricks.

forth, the turtle won the race because the rabit was an idiot jackass that decided to ****ing fall asleep during the race. Please dont use a childish analogy trying to put down two internationally succesful and powerful organizations.

fifth, when you get to the top of the ladder, if you're smart and able, you keep building the ladder yourself and going higher.

some comapnies experience flatspots or downturns but it is never a sign that they are out right broke or failing. Canon and NIkon have such a large infrastructure that goes beyond photography that they cannot fail, and unlike pentax they can easily afford to throw money at experimental products. The only way Canon and NIkon will FAIL is if the entire board of directors take LSD and go to Reno and never come back.. and even then, there are failsafe protocols for that too...

where do you lurkers come up with this shit, seriouslY!?!?!