Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You know what they say about opinions and asses...

01-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
ycl

What if Ned Bragged about His New Nikon D700 or Canon 5d?

Since Pentax doesn't make a camera in the "category," to borrow Ned's word, of "full-frame DSLR," should he next brag about what a great camera his new (your choice) Nikon D700 or Canon 5D or Sony A900 is?

How would the Ned defenders here feel about that? If you think that's OK, good for you -- consistency is to be lauded. But if you don't, can you tell me what the difference is? After all, Pentax really doesn't have a camera in that "category," right? The K20d is nice and all, but it's not a full-frame.

Sure, such praise by the Prez of Pentax USA ends up suggesting, if only by implication, that Pentax's own DSLRs aren't really up to snuff. But, hey, we're talking different "categories," right?

And, to emphasize, the issue is not whether the Dlux 4 is a good camera, and it is also not whether Ned has a right to use whatever camera he chooses to. Let's assume it is, and he does. The question of whether Ned's recent posts represent poor judgment remains.

yclee2cents.blogspot.com
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ycl Quote
Since Pentax doesn't make a camera in the "category," to borrow Ned's word, of "full-frame DSLR," should he next brag about what a great camera his new (your choice) Nikon D700 or Canon 5D or Sony A900 is?
If that happened, I'd take it as a sign that Pentax is exploring that market category, just as I take his interest in this area to mean that they're exploring the (higher margin!) "photographer's compact" market.
01-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Actually i shoot both K20d and DLux4. But that isn't a "Leica" relative to most people's thinking.

I have to wonder how many of the naysayers here have actually been executives in a major (or even minor) corporation. Or any organization. Maybe we should require links to people's sites and resumes so we can have more clarity on what experiences people have backing their opinions.
Perhaps Ned can tell where I can go in and look at a Leica D-Lux 4 here in Florida. I don't want to have to order it like I did all my Pentax stuff (except my K1000's).

01-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
You know what they say about opinions and asses...
Even ass-holes spend money and buy cameras whether its professional, hobby or a combination of both.
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I for one applaud Ned for his post on several levels, but mainly for these;

1. He could of bought the new Nikon P6000 or Canon G10 but didn't, way to go Ned!
2. If Pentax made a camera in this segment, I am sure he would of purchased it, this may spark Pentax to develop such an item.
3. This is not like a Ford Exec buying a Corvette, this is like a Ford Exec buying a Rolls.

I am glad you bought the camera Ned!
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
If that happened, I'd take it as a sign that Pentax is exploring that market category, just as I take his interest in this area to mean that they're exploring the (higher margin!) "photographer's compact" market.
Well, Ned posting in the Leica Talk forum will undoubtedly get some Leica/Panasonic people looking at Pentax. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if more of them look at Pentax stuff as a result than people from this site. People on here are typically outside the box anyway.

Its kind of like a fake punt trick play on 4th and 4 on the 50. If it works, the coach is a genius, if not, he's a goat!
01-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I for one applaud Ned for his post on several levels, but mainly for these;

1. He could of bought the new Nikon P6000 or Canon G10 but didn't, way to go Ned!
2. If Pentax made a camera in this segment, I am sure he would of purchased it, this may spark Pentax to develop such an item.
3. This is not like a Ford Exec buying a Corvette, this is like a Ford Exec buying a Rolls.

I am glad you bought the camera Ned!
I agree with except the part about it being like a Rolls. There isn't a P&S there that will be on that level. Its more like a Mini-Cooper.

01-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

How is Leica doing as a company? Perhaps Hoya is looking to buy them too, and Ned is sorta letting the cat out of the bag
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

First off I don't agree nor believe it was a good idea for the President of Pentax USA to use much less "endorse" a Leica (Panasonic) on a open blog nor publicly at various forums.

The notion that Pentax currently doesn't have a camera in the "advanced compact" segment, nor the idea put forward that he is a photographer first and Pentax USA head second, or that he is a Leica collector just doesn't wash with me.

Where is the brand loyalty?
Whether directly or indirectly, there is no getting around that many would relate to him as a Pentax USA head first and photographer second. He may wear two hats but it is obvious which one has more prominence. In Japan, Toyota and Nissan would urge their staff to use their vehicles and I cannot imagine a Canon, Nikon or Sony senior executive to be using, much less stating publicly the use of a rival product. What a horrible faux pas and poor judgment.

To justify using a rival brand simply because Pentax PnS aren't in the same market segment unfortunately sends a clear signal that Pentax isn't the brand to consider for advanced PnS cameras, which reaffirms my opinion and I'm sure many others that Pentax PnS cameras aren't particularly remarkable. It is easy to come up with a marketing chart to explain the market segmentation but for the masses, it isn't easy to distinguish from one PnS compact from another whether brand wise or feature wise. Bottomline this doesn't add to Pentax brand building at all.

Whether the photographer in him knows that Pentax PnS cameras just cannot make it so he has to use something better, or maybe he isn't that great a photographer that he can't make the most of a Pentax compact who knows.

But if he has pointed out a gap in the market, as President of Pentax US he has the best opportunity to influence Pentax Japan on the need to produce a rival D-Lux/G10 killer advanced compact. If the intent was to communicate that by using a Leica, it unfortunately sent the wrong message altogether, from "Be Interesting" to "Nothing Interesting"
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even more confusing

A link at the bottom of Ned's Blog entry.
Panasonic LX3 diary - 1001 Noisy Cameras
I'm beginning to think that Hoya/Pentax makes the optics in this camera. Maybe through Kenko or Tokina....... first conspiracy theory of the new year.....
Actually it's really the only thing that makes sense....
01-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Even ass-holes spend money and buy cameras whether its professional, hobby or a combination of both.
I'm an a-hole myself, so I'm not going to disagree with you there

Oh and btw

Free marketing!!!1!!
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Where is the brand loyalty?
Whether directly or indirectly, there is no getting around that many would relate to him as a Pentax USA head first and photographer second. He may wear two hats but it is obvious which one has more prominence. In Japan, Toyota and Nissan would urge their staff to use their vehicles and I cannot imagine a Canon, Nikon or Sony senior executive to be using, much less stating publicly the use of a rival product. What a horrible faux pas and poor judgment.

To justify using a rival brand simply because Pentax PnS aren't in the same market segment unfortunately sends a clear signal that Pentax isn't the brand to consider for advanced PnS cameras, which reaffirms my opinion and I'm sure many others that Pentax PnS cameras aren't particularly remarkable. It is easy to come up with a marketing chart to explain the market segmentation but for the masses, it isn't easy to distinguish from one PnS compact from another whether brand wise or feature wise. Bottomline this doesn't add to Pentax brand building at all.
"Brand building"? How much was Pentax been mentioned in the blogosphere last quarter vs just this month?

The Porche-Ford F-150 analogy actually is adept. Pentax does not have a "serious" compact. NONE of them shoot raw. For many that is the end of the story right there. Just like Porsche does not make a truck. They make an SUV, but not a truck. So if Ferry Porsche talks about driving his F-150, what is the message? Well, there are a couple. First, he may just like trucks. Second, he may be trying a little viral marketing. Third, he might be trying to gauge interest in a Porsche truck. Fourth, he might not really care what a bunch of people ranting on forums thing. Fifth, perhaps he is trying to influence board members and others wrt roadmaps and strategy.

The bottom line is that only Ned knows what is behind it. My guess is that Occam's Razor applies - he like photography, owns an M6, wanted the ultimate p&s so he bought the Leica. Like most of us, he wanted to share in his excitement. But unlike us, he gets taken to task by armchair executives who call into question his "loyalty" and character.

Hopefully Pentax Japan "gets it" (whatever "it" is), and Ned is happily doing his thing. Certainly more than enough hand-wringing going on in these forums to cover all the execs...
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

How many people here own other brands of lenses, camera bodies, 3rd world accessories? Does Canikon have presidents so easily accessible or openly candid about their day-to-day life? Hell, even the Chuck Norris of Photography - Mr Nikon himself - Ken Rockwell is playing with Leicas right now (going through his weekly "digital is dead" posting) and openly owns Canons. This might have been planned, it might not have - who cares? Does the camera you own take tainted pictures now? Ned's human, and I appreciate his honesty. The man likes to take pictures, would you rather have a president that loved to fly to remote regions of the world and hunt endangered species, race yachts, or bet on dog races - and not give two shits about photography? Really?
01-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Perhaps that's why the DA* 60-250mm and the DA* 55mm keep getting postponed. They are all out playing with their P&S Leicas.