Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
And one more thing, you are putting way too much emphasis on the "Head of Pentax USA". The "head" of Pentax of any country except Japan is nothing but a sales position. You really think his opinion will steer the future of Pentax products lineup in a different direction? Come on, get real here.
That's why, if anything, I'd see it as a positive. Having worked in photo retail, well, it does a manufacturer some good if those further down the chain see such a figure as someone *representing* the local consumers *to* the company, not just the other way around.

01-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Its not about being cheesed off. .
So wait, if you get cheesed off, is it roquefort? Stilton?
01-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Pentax dosen't have anything in its P&S lineup that compares to the Leica so its not really a "competing" model. The cheaper Panasonic also isn't the same camera as the Leica although there is cooperation and some sharing going on. While as a photographer Ned Bunnell has the right to use what ever he chooses its still bad judgement in my opinion to write the review on his blog the way he did. As a member of top management in a company he should check out what the competition has to offer but that review crossed the line. He made it sound like he just bought his dream camera.
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #109
Veteran Member

So, what if Ned did loose his job over this?

What would that say to the world about Pentax? All of the non-Pentax blogs I read (that even noticed) are generally praising him, and Pentax, for "being different." Suppose those of you calling for blood got your wish and Ned's head rolled into the unemployment basket in the public square. What would those blogs have to say about a post-ax Pentax? Would that commentary positively or negatively affect perception and market share?

Message delivered already - Your dissent has been registered. Really, Ned has heard you, and so has everyone with a remote interest in this forum. If it was a problem for Pentax then I'm sure he knows that as well. I don't think it was a mistake, but if it was it's probably not a mistake we'll see again. Ned will almost certainly be more guarded on his blog in the future if he bothers to post an honest opinion again at all.

Be different - Let a man up for a change. The results just may surprise you.

01-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
2 things

1) What happened to Ned's "tempest in a teapot" defense on his blog? Am I just missing it? I can't find it.
NED BUNNELL: Leica D-Lux 4
said...

Please see my new post, "Tempest in a Teapot" where I provide some insight into why I posted the D-Lux entry in my blog. Thanks!
4:20 PM

2)1001 noisy cameras defense of Ned.
Pentax gets major street-cred boost, shows why it's different - 1001 Noisy Cameras

Anyone seen any pros or cons in any Japanese based Pentax forums. I would be interested in their take on this.
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #111
Veteran Member

It's still there. Click on Ned's name at the top of the link you posted and it will take you to the home page of his blog where you can see it.
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
So wait, if you get cheesed off, is it roquefort? Stilton?
We will have to consult one of our Brit colleagues about that since it is a Brit term!
01-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #113
Veteran Member

We will have to consult one of our Brit colleagues about that since it is a Brit term!
That's ok...Stilton is a Brit cheese

01-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #114
Forum Member

I'm considering buying an LX3, so I'm not that mad at Bunnell for buying an D-LUX4.

However, I can see how a loyal Pentax user might find Bunnell's announcement of his purchase, and the accompanying gushing over it, to be a bit galling. Here's my take: If his company doesn't offer a product in that category, it's probably not something that he should be highlighting by making this sort of public declaration. Now, I could be wrong, but I have been operating under the impression that it is to the advantage of a company to emphasize what it DOES offer, not what it doesn't. I certainly don't care what Ned Bunnell buys; in fact there's something to be said for Bunnell projecting the image of being a photographer who is familiar with a broad range of equipment from all manufacturers.

But for those Pentax users who fear that Pentax is lagging behind other manufacturers technologically and losing market share, anything that comes from the mouth, or keyboard, of a Pentax official will be viewed in terms of whether the statements help or hurt the brand. While there may be a tendency for some overreaction from people who have these fears, their concerns are not unfounded. The fact is that if one needed to explain to the uninitiated WHY Pentax doesn't offer an advanced compact camera, the answer would not serve to encourage people to buy into the brand; I'm not even trying to assert that I'm certain of the reason(s), but there certainly can be no GOOD reason why there exists this gap in Pentax's product offerings.

So Bunnell should buy and enjoy whatever camera he wants, but for the sake of his publicly accessible blog, I would argue that it would have served HIS brand better by blogging about how something like, say, a Pentax A40 serves as a great walkaround compact, and provided a few vacation shots as proof.

But that's just me.

-XM

P.S.: Those of you who several months ago asserted that Bunnell was either dissembling, or was completely uniformed about Pentax's introduction of what we would come to know as the K2000/K-m, were absolutely right. His flat denial in the face of excited speculation about the camera tells me everything I need to know about Bunnell: he either believes that it is better to try to shut down an anticipatory buzz for an as-yet-unannounced product, or he is completely out of the loop were it concerns the operations of the Pentax mothership. Either way, that makes whatever he says, or writes, next to useless for my purposes.
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #115
Damn Brit

You lot of rabble are starting to cheese me off.

To be cheesed off is a polite way of saying one is pissed off.
01-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Interesting Karmic shift. Interesting...Ned are you reading this? Remember the reasons for my leaving Pentax? Interesting to say the least and I didn't even mention the name...

You know something Ned, I have no problem what so ever with you using a different brand. In fact I find it quite refreshing. My only qualm here is it kind of goes against your own rational for the severing of our professional relationship...
01-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #117
Veteran Member

that lead-core crystal ball (past event model) is coming clearer...
01-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Interesting Karmic shift. Interesting...Ned are you reading this? Remember the reasons for my leaving Pentax? Interesting to say the least and I didn't even mention the name...

You know something Ned, I have no problem what so ever with you using a different brand. In fact I find it quite refreshing. My only qualm here is it kind of goes against your own rational for the severing of our professional relationship...
There are some people on this forum that seem to think Ned deserves a pass because he is "One of us". That doesn't make up for incompetence nor does it justify self servicing ethics. My guess is Pentax International knows exactly what Ned is and that is why he is treated like a mushroom when it comes to keeping him in the loop. It's easy enough to outline a minimum of five major mistakes he has made but can't come up with one positive move.
01-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #119
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben 1 - Ned 0
01-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #120

only 5 words if i can.

Time for a new president!