Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's say you're the head of Toyota which recently passed GM in world sales.

You have a million bucks...you want a 600hp+ supercar.

What do you do?

Commission TRD to tune your Lexus LF-A for 200hp more?

Cheaper? Yep. Supercar? Headturner? Nope.

It wouldn't surprise me for a second (if the head of Toyo was a gearhead) that there is a Ferrari sitting in his garage. Until the supposed V10-mid-engine-super-Toyota comes out, what else would he do?

=======================================================================

I have brand loyalty to Honda/Acura. What if I need a big truck? Just say "well, you know...Honda doesn't make a 1 ton truck so I guess I guess the (car based) Ridgeline will do." Are some that delusional? Having said that, I wouldn't turn down a Pontiac G6 or G8 even though I prefer Hondas.

When we have "loyalty" we're seen as "fanboys." When we aren't 100% brand loyal, we're seen as traitors.

Move on with it, already. He's a photographer first. Pentax doesn't offer a similar product. We all know Panasonic makes good Pns cameras. Til Pentax makes a good PnS I'll be buying Panasonic. I'd rather have a Pentax, but what can I do? Just not take pics?

01-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

What do you do?

It wouldn't surprise me for a second (if the head of Toyo was a gearhead) that there is a Ferrari sitting in his garage. Until the supposed V10-mid-engine-super-Toyota comes out, what else would he do?

=======================================================================

I have brand loyalty to Honda/Acura. What if I need a big truck? Just say "well, you know...Honda doesn't make a 1 ton truck so I guess I guess the (car based) Ridgeline will do." Are some that delusional? Having said that, I wouldn't turn down a Pontiac G6 or G8 even though I prefer Hondas.

When we have "loyalty" we're seen as "fanboys." When we aren't 100% brand loyal, we're seen as traitors.

Move on with it, already. He's a photographer first. Pentax doesn't offer a similar product. We all know Panasonic makes good Pns cameras. Til Pentax makes a good PnS I'll be buying Panasonic. I'd rather have a Pentax, but what can I do? Just not take pics?
Two things wrong with your Toyota analogy.
1) do you see the PRESIDENT'' of Toyota blogging about his Ferrari?
2) do you see the President of Toyota blogging about his Ferrari. Assuming of course he had one.

You don't get it. Nobody cares if he has a ferrari, just don't brag about it when your the president of Toyota motor corp.
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Oh don't worry...I get it. I see both sides of this conundrum.

Side A: He should be brand loyal...and if not...what he does in private is his business. "Do not air your dirty laundry" or so the saying goes.
Side B: He should be commended for being bold and for praising another brand, shaking up camp Pentax.

When I first read about this, I was on Side A. Since then, I've drifted to Side B.

If you and others are so torn up about this, why not leave Pentax? Since this is the "end of the world" for Big Red, it's time to jump ship, right? Come on...

What's next...calling for his head else a mass exodus from the Promised Land of Pentax?
01-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #49
Veteran Member

The bigger question is in his role as a marketing head why has he not been able to convinve pentax that there is a market for a decent p+S?

It has been left to an electronics manufacturer to fly the photographers flag and make the LX3, to top it off Panasonic are now a seriosu competitor in the waterproof market and i'll bet any money they actually get it right unlike the dreadful efforts fron Oly and pentax.

Whch begs a side question, where the hell is samsung?

01-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote

Whch begs a side question, where the hell is samsung?
umm, Korea?

01-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
umm, Korea?

01-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Tom back here I had a friend at Renault Romania. All the cars in the compay's parking lot were made by a member of Renault group (Renault, Nissan, Dacia) no matter if they were issued by the company or private cars. When a new guy was hirred he showed up with a BMW and after couple of days he was told that he cannot park anymore in the companies spaces. Pretty simple ... he wasn't told to sell his car or buy Renault just couldn't advertise his BMW on Renault property (from whom he got his paycheck). Some of you may say it's a violation of human rights and stuff I say it more simply: you don't bite the hand that feeds you, you can always find another master or better yet feed yourself!

@ NewRsoul:

Radu
This is just hilarious, dude you made my day with this story, so they all drive POS Renaults!
I would be on a phone looking for a new job 5 minutes after my manager would tell me something like this.

Last edited by awo425; 01-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.
01-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Just like Porsche does not make a truck.
Porsche -> VW -> MAN & Scania... check what MAN & Scania make...

does Hoya own anything at all in Leica or Panasonic ?
01-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Porsche -> VW -> MAN & Scania... check what MAN & Scania make...

does Hoya own anything at all in Leica or Panasonic ?
Probably the glass in the very least.
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone...

All of you people ragging Ned about his non-Pentax purchase I better see ALL of your non-Pentax gear up for sale in the marketplace by weeks end.
01-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

What do you do?

Well a better analogy would be Nissan/Renault boss Carlos Ghosn and the awesome Nissan GT-R. He's got supercars of his own alright but he commissioned Nissan to build from the ground up a Porsche killer. Which Nissan did and he takes pride taking delivery of car No.1 when it first rolled off the assembly line. That's corporate loyalty for you...

The photo business like any business is a cut-throat one and for the Pentax USA President did to do what he did is certainly a big disservice to Pentax. What a joke...

Last edited by creampuff; 01-28-2009 at 08:50 PM.
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote

All of you people ragging Ned about his non-Pentax purchase I better see ALL of your non-Pentax gear up for sale in the marketplace by weeks end.
Well nobody's holding the title of President of Pentax USA except him. Like it or not people will judge him to a higher standard.
He can play with whatever gear he wants on his own time but he gets paid to market and promote Pentax... not Panasonic/Leica...
Poor judgment on his part.
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

My non-Pentax gear is 17+ years old and his film gear with exception to a 7 year old N. 5700 that I gave my son. You can pry my grandfather's Mamiya C3 (47 year old TLR) out of my cold dead hands.

It wasn't like he was blogging the M4, plus, at the top of the Page:

QuoteQuote:
About Me

Name: Ned Bunnell I'm the President of Pentax Imaging (USA), and an avid photographer. I'm very fortunate to have a day job that combines my love of photography with leading a company in selling and marketing cameras. Prior to Pentax, I worked in product marketing and planning roles at Canon Computer Systems, Polaroid, Adobe Systems, Agfa-Gevaert and NEC. I've operated two studios over my career, most recently Bunnell Photography in San Clemente, CA .

Last edited by Blue; 01-28-2009 at 08:59 PM.
01-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well nobody's holding the title of President of Pentax USA except him. Like it or not people will judge him to a higher standard.
He can play with whatever gear he wants on his own time but he gets paid to market and promote Pentax... not Panasonic/Leica...
Poor judgment on his part.
Well said!
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #60
Veteran Member

With all due respect

And after reading many of the posts here...

The users here don't get paid Neds salary to represent Pentax. I think that is the issue that is being skirted but not really addressed fully.

If Ned was just a professional photographer, and not head of Pentax USA, yet was known as a loyal Pentax user all of his life and suddenly bought a Leica, that would be one thing and I doubt many would complain about it.

Yet,

My personal view is that I could care less what equipment Ned uses. In this case he purchased a camera in a segment that Pentax has no real motivation to compete in, and probably won't . DSLR's are different, Pentax is committed to DSLR's, therefore Ned wouldn't buy a DSLR from Canon such as the 1DS etc. just because they don't make a DSLR currently in that slot.

He has the right to be a photographer first, as long as Pentax is ok with that. If Pentax is ok with that (and I don't think they should have a problem in this case) then there shouldn't be an issue.

All I know is, I wouldn't want the burden of dealing with all the talk in the forums as a result of this purchase. Ned had to know this would cause some sort of ruckus among the forums. Maybe that just didn't matter to him. Maybe too many worry too much about things they don't need to really be worried about.

Who knows

C