Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Maybe too many worry too much about things they don't need to really be worried about.

Who knows

C
Quoted for truth.

01-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well a better analogy would be Nissan/Renault boss Carlos Ghosn and the awesome Nissan GT-R. He's got supercars of his own alright but he commissioned Nissan to build from the ground up a Porsche killer. Which Nissan did and he takes pride taking delivery of car No.1 when it first rolled off the assembly line. That's corporate loyalty for you...
Personally...if I won the lottery my daily driver would be either a GT-R or BMW M5. Enough money...one of both With a 997 Turbo on the side Those would be my purchases for the first day of being rich.

In my mind, the GT-R is one of three things to people:
1. A badass Porsche killer for $30gs less
2. Another Nissan, but a pretty bitchin one
3. Huh? I have no idea what that is

My mom can tell what a Ferrari is...I know there are 2 GT-Rs running around town...she'd have no idea.

Nothing says "look at me" like a mid-engine, low slung, straked and scooped and vented car.

Remember the VW Phaeton? "Why pay $60k for a Vdub when I could have a similar BMW 7 series/Benz S class/Audi A8 for the same price?"

Ghosn deserves that car, though...he turned Nissan around like no one could. But that's a different discussion
01-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #63
Veteran Member

GT-R - heh, good luck with the transmission. And it is FUGLY.

997 GT-3RS, please. There is no substitute...
01-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would do you want that kind of cars? Huge emissions and built just for having fun with very little practical value. Sports cars...the dumbest thing ever after jet skis.

Sorry to be boring but IMO there is no place for those anymore. Perhaps we'll soon get tighter emissions regulations everywhere so that this problem is taken care of.

/end extreme OT

01-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

Warranty Just kidding...

They are going to remove launch control for street use for that reason. Too bad...

I hated the R35 model when debuted...now I love it.

The RS would be for Road America usage...the normal Turbo would be for the street. My Powerball list for cars is just sick
QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Why would do you want that kind of cars? Huge emissions and built just for having fun with very little practical value. Sports cars...the dumbest thing ever after jet skis.

Sorry to be boring but IMO there is no place for those anymore. Perhaps we'll soon get tighter emissions regulations everywhere so that this problem is taken care of.

/end extreme OT
No emissions testing in my city (thank goodness).

While we're on the subject...do you make money from photography? If not, what is the justification to spend so much on equipment...computers...software...everything?

I personally don't care if a car isn't practical...that's why I'll have a daily driver with A/C, leather, nav, power steering, etc. When I get around to putting together a decent car...it'll suck too much to drive every day and will never go out in the winter and road salt. Too low, loud, no power amenities, no A/C, no power steering, grabby clutch, stiff brakes...the list goes on. But man will it be fun to drive on the open road

Some have cameras...some cars...some computers etc etc. Those hobbies are my three C's.
01-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

No emissions testing in my city (thank goodness).

While we're on the subject...do you make money from photography? If not, what is the justification to spend so much on equipment...computers...software...everything?

I personally don't care if a car isn't practical...that's why I'll have a daily driver with A/C, leather, nav, power steering, etc. When I get around to putting together a decent car...it'll suck too much to drive every day and will never go out in the winter and road salt. Too low, loud, no power amenities, no A/C, no power steering, grabby clutch, stiff brakes...the list goes on. But man will it be fun to drive on the open road

Some have cameras...some cars...some computers etc etc. Those hobbies are my three C's.

It's pretty sad that there's no emission testing in your town. I'd say it's downright criminal even. Maybe not according to the letter of the local laws but it sure as hell is not good for the environment.

Sorry, but the sports car vs. cameras comparison fails pretty miserably. The resources and energy that goes into manufacturing a car are on a whole different level from what is required to make a camera, or a hundred cameras. This does not even include the effects of actually using it, e.g. consumption of fuel. Have you ever heard of LCA or life cycle analysis? Here's for starters:
Life cycle assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And no, I don't make money from photography. It is a hobby plus I do need cameras for documenting my research sites. So they are a tool as well.
01-29-2009, 04:28 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

Richard Hammond? Is that you?

01-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone...

All of you people ragging Ned about his non-Pentax purchase I better see ALL of your non-Pentax gear up for sale in the marketplace by weeks end.
The only piece of non-Pentax gear I have is an old Sony point and shoot, that was a gift.

Having said that, if Pentax was signing my checks, I wouldn't have it, much less write about how good it was.
01-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The only piece of non-Pentax gear I have is an old Sony point and shoot, that was a gift.
Cough.
Then you should probably edit your signature
01-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Busted!!!!!!!!!
01-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrapollinax Quote
richard hammond? Is that you?
hahahaha!!!!!!
01-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #72
Veteran Member

One more thing ...

Despite all what has been said already, one more thing...

IMHO, this story tells us a hidden truth:

- The default behaviour for Ned (as President of Pentax US) would be to not blog about a competitor (Panasonic) -- as he definitely knows -- but he did, so he did for a reason, consciously or subconsciously.

- Because Japan doesn't listen to what even executives (not to mention customers) in the rest of the world say, anyway. Maybe, they now for one time in their life, do. Which would be good news.

(I don't even think that this was strategic by Ned. It's emotional. But for the same reason. Pentax Japan cannot entirely satisfy his photographic obsessions. While they should be able... Maybe he brought the camera to show in the executive meeting in Tokyo and they didn't take him serious enough?)

Last edited by falconeye; 01-29-2009 at 07:06 AM.
01-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Leica D-Lux 4 vs. Panasonic LX3

Leica D-Lux 4/Panasonic LX3 seem to be little gems indeed.

What I find puzzling: Street prices in Germany are:
- Panasonic LX3: 350 €
- Leica D-Lux 4: 700 € (2x)
for almost the same camara. Is it the same in other parts of the world?
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Leica D-Lux 4/Panasonic LX3 seem to be little gems indeed.

What I find puzzling: Street prices in Germany are:
- Panasonic LX3: 350 €
- Leica D-Lux 4: 700 € (2x)
for almost the same camara. Is it the same in other parts of the world?
The only difference is the little red dot.
01-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
The only difference is the little red dot.
Apparently the default JPEG settings are different. There are also rumours that the Leica-branded cameras receive the lenses that "test" the best in QA, while the Panasonic gets those that are "lower quality".

BTW, the Leica is roughly twice the price of the Panasonic in Canada as well.