Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
I suppose you're not a stand up comedian. If i'm wrong, i reccomend you to look for another job.

Does it matter if i tell you or not the name of a Pentax rep in Spain? Will you believe me that way? This guy it's the same who told me about the KM and K20D some time before the official announcement. so i tend to believe him.

As a matter of fact no, I am not a stand up comedian. Maybe you could benefit from learning to lighten up?

Just a suggestion

Jason

01-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I'm in that wait and see camp myself. I also want to see what Samsung (and hopefully Pentax) has in store with their EVIL system. That said, although the G1 isn't my ideal camera, once they release the video version and the 20mm pancake it will be a very attractive set up. The price is also really coming down on it. It's only $670 at B&H now. Plus IMHO that kit lens adds a lot of hidden value. The G1's kit lens is the best kit lens on the market this side of the Canon 24-104 f/4 on the 5D. In Nikon land a similar zoom to the Panny 14-45mm would run you $300+. Hell, Pentax doesn't even make a zoom with SDM for under $500.
In all fairness to Pentax, though, even without a kit lens with SDM, I'm quite happy with the 18-55 they have (at least the 1st and 2nd versions - I haven't tried the L one yet). It's plenty sharp and contrasty, especially considering the price. You might want to include the 16-45 in the good kit lens group, too, since I believe that was the original kit lens for the *ist D.

Oh, and Olympus' 14-54 is good value (E-1 kit lens). I mean, the 12-60 looks great, but for the price, the 14-54 is probably a better buy.

I really don't see myself springing for the G1. No in-body IS, no sale for me. I fully expect Olympus to have that feature, and if the price is right, I'll probably get one, body-only, and fiddle around with different cheap orphaned lenses available in the used market.

It's good that Olympus went the Pentax route and made it possible to set focal length manually to make IS work with old lenses. I doubt they have much to gain from that, but it certainly spread some goodwill with 4/3 users at that time.

Fast glass will come. I honestly expect them to drop SLR's eventually. Once full frame comes down to near APS-C prices I just don't see how an SLR like the E-3 will survive. What is the point of a 4/3's SLR the same size of as a Nikon D700?
Well, there are still pros who shoot with Olympus, and I doubt they'd be happy to switch to G1-sized cameras for their work (feels imbalanced when used with higher-end lenses). If Olympus is keen to settle into the niche of the-camera-that-pros-use-outside-of-work and abandon the pro market altogether, then maybe dropping the bigger form factor DSLRs (and go full-tilt on EVIL m4/3) is possible (or may be forced on by future consumer buying trends).

I'll say, though, that Olympus' strength in olden times was really in making small cameras loaded with features.

It's interesting to see where Hoya will take Pentax. An EVIL camera is just as interesting as a full-frame DSLR for me (technological interest, not necessarily buying interest).
01-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
In all fairness to Pentax, though, even without a kit lens with SDM, I'm quite happy with the 18-55 they have (at least the 1st and 2nd versions - I haven't tried the L one yet). It's plenty sharp and contrasty, especially considering the price.
The Pentax 18-55 was one of the main reasons I bought a Pentax as my first DSLR actually. At the time I couldn't afford (or justify) $400 on any lens. So I really tested out the kit lenses included with the D40/Rebel/Oly E500/K100D before buying one. Oly and Pentax's were in a league of their own, so that eliminated Canikon right off the bat for me. Oly's 4/3's view finder was just so cruddy that took care of them. That left Pentax.

That said, I really wish they'd have added SDM to the DA II. They are the only company without a silent lens on the showroom floor now (unless you ask to see a 17-70mm from the case). I know some people that won't even consider a camera if the lens isn't silent; and with good reason. I can easily see their point of view. I hate old technology as well, this is the reason I'll happily kiss the bulky mirror box and prism system good bye.
01-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That said, I really wish they'd have added SDM to the DA II. They are the only company without a silent lens on the showroom floor now (unless you ask to see a 17-70mm from the case). I know some people that won't even consider a camera if the lens isn't silent; and with good reason. I can easily see their point of view. I hate old technology as well, this is the reason I'll happily kiss the bulky mirror box and prism system good bye.

What's a good reason to base your camera system purchases on the silence of a *kit lens,* especially one that isn't actually a decent piece of glass?

A Canon or Nikon kit lens would be *really* silent around here, it'd be sitting in a drawer.

As for 'hating old technology,' well, I'm in no hurry to have to be viewing my subjects on a little TV screen.

01-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I know some people that won't even consider a camera if the lens isn't silent; and with good reason.
what's the good reason?
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
what's the good reason?
Sorry if it's offensive to anyone, but non-SDM lens are simply clunky. Some people don't like that. Some don't mind hearing the inner workings of a camera. It's not going to make the photos any better or any worse, it's just a personal preference. I own 3 slot driven lenses now, and the 43mm limited is the only one I'd say isn't too bad, but I'd still rather use Nikons new 50mm over it. Does not hearing a grinding screw drive make my photos any better? No, of course not, but it sure makes for a much better experience.
01-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Hopey,

some of the negativity addressed towards you is because you are a lurker

lurkers usually hold little credibility

you say you got a guy that knows a guy? come now, this is the internet, you should understand our skepticism

like, i can write that i know a guy that told me on the downlow that pentax will announce something cool at the PMA..., cuz this guy is top dog, you can trust me on that....

01-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Sorry if it's offensive to anyone, but non-SDM lens are simply clunky. Some people don't like that. Some don't mind hearing the inner workings of a camera. It's not going to make the photos any better or any worse, it's just a personal preference. I own 3 slot driven lenses now, and the 43mm limited is the only one I'd say isn't too bad, but I'd still rather use Nikons new 50mm over it. Does not hearing a grinding screw drive make my photos any better? No, of course not, but it sure makes for a much better experience.
I'd still say it doesn't count for squat if the lens itself isn't worth using.

Never mind paying extra on a kit to silence what you won't be using cause the handling and optical quality is so poor.

Pentax's kit lens is better glass, yes. I still would have bypassed it if it hadn't come free. Why, then, would I want to pay fifty dollars more for an inferior Canon kit lens? If you want to get picky, put that money toward something more serious, whatever the system.
01-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

That certainly is a personal bias and people have to make their choices. While I prefer a silent lens, part of me actually like to hear what is going on. I can tell from the sound of my ltd whether it is sure or not (I actually like the double check focus). And in the end I'd rather have great glass that made some noise than crappy silent glass. Also wrt noise, the shutter is another factor, and often it is louder than the focus.

And I find the tactile experience of shooting with the ltd primes is better than any Nikon lens I owned but ymmv.

Of course I also know people who will complain about a noisy focus, then think nothing of blinding a room with flash.
01-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #40

a bridge camera? would that be a weather proof one? I see the niche for such, and I would like to have one for outdoor adventure.
01-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by take Quote
a bridge camera? would that be a weather proof one? I see the niche for such, and I would like to have one for outdoor adventure.
That much really isn't hard, really. Easier to seal off than a DSLR, and really one of those things you wonder why no one else seems to have taken the trouble to do before.

Love my little old Lumix... No reason at all the gap around the popup flash had to be a little funnel into electronic works.
01-31-2009, 05:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Sorry if it's offensive to anyone, but non-SDM lens are simply clunky. Some people don't like that. Some don't mind hearing the inner workings of a camera. It's not going to make the photos any better or any worse, it's just a personal preference.
I definitely understand that it's a personal preference, but I like knowing that my screw-driven lenses won't have problems with their SDM motors.

I usually focus manually anyways, so that's even quieter. :P
03-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #43

hello there are "news " about that bridge pentax,
at this german page they anounced the olympus620
but (un)fortunatley they messed up!

link: http://www.colorfoto.de/News/E-620-Neue-Mittelklasse_5267064.html

take a good look at the picture of the rear of the
olympus620!

greetings!

Last edited by 312m; 03-01-2009 at 07:40 AM.
03-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #44
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 312m Quote
hello there are "news " about that bridge pentax,
at this german page they anounced the olympus620
but (un)fortunatley they messed up!

link: Colorfoto, das Magazin für digitale Fotografie - colorfoto.de Olympus

take a good look at the picture of the rear of the
olympus620!

greetings!
is it K3000?
Attached Images

03-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Always good with a smiley button for direct access in situations when you feel down