Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Since this bridgecam is legit, I think there is no chance of a Pentax DSLR announce in PMA.
Even I am starting to think so...so, the bridge camera is just like a point and shoot but as bulky as a DSLR, is that it ?

P.S: So, Hopey got it right, so we'll be seeing some apologies I'm sure ?

03-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Even I am starting to think so...so, the bridge camera is just like a point and shoot but as bulky as a DSLR, is that it ?
No, it is smaller than even the K-m.
03-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

P.S: So, Hopey got it right, so we'll be seeing some apologies I'm sure ?
Bulky as a DSLR? With 390g ?
Well each has his/her references I guess...
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
...but it won't be a reflex.

My local sales rep tells me that at the PMA Pentax will show a bridge camera a la Lumix FZ-28 or Oly SP570, and that we'll have to wait until May-June for a new reflex. He has zero info about the new reflex.
Then I'll be looking forward to May-June. In the meantime, I could eat the 15 mm pancake

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
One last thing (not related with this "new" camera) to lighten a bit all the usual (and recent) doom and gloom in these forums. I understand it not a very scientific study but at the moment, at my store, sales for the KM are a bit higher than sales for the Eos 1000D or Nikon D60, and global sales for Pentax (reflex+compact) are being very good. In fact, this last year we fulfilled our yearly planned Pentax sales by mid November. To make a comparison, Canon planned sales weren't fulfilled till late December. The Olympus rep has been lately quite nervous because this last year Pentax (reflex) has affected his sales percentage quite heavily. Sony (reflex) is missing in action. Things are not going too bad.
Thanks for the info. The K-m seems to have hit a sweet spot. I hear many that would be interested in DSLR, but would like to be without the bulk, but still get a good camera

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-02-2009 at 03:26 PM.
03-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Bulky as a DSLR? With 390g ?
Well each has his/her references I guess...
You are taking my comments literally...my point is, when there are P&S that can be pocketed easily and still offer all the features, why bother with the bridge camera. Is it for the viewfinder ?, DSLR's call live view the upcoming novelty feature, and the bridge camera is a P&S with the VF, don't you see the irony....If I am going to accept a micro sensor, I want the camera to be as tiny as possible. Bridge camera's don't makes sense to me, that's all.

Last edited by pcarfan; 03-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #66
Veteran Member

You are taking my comments literally...my point is, when there are P&S that can be pocketed easily and still offer all the features, why bother with the bridge camera. Is it for the viewfinder ?, DSLR's call live view the upcoming novelty feature, and the bridge camera is a P&S with the VF, don't you see the irony....If I am going to accept a micro sensor, I want the camera to be as tiny as possible. Bridge camera's don't makes sense to me, that's all.
Well, I believe bridge cameras, at least today, are there to satisfy the niche of people who want a do-it-all zoom range without the bulk of bringing a DSLR and two or more lenses. As well, certain focal lengths are nigh unattainable with DSLRs unless one has serious money to spend.

On a more personal note, bridge cameras stand out less in public areas, too, and so I'll be less likely to be harassed by local authorities when I'm out shooting in the streets.

I know I'd be interested in a bridge camera with decent image quality. The price of a bridge camera is quite cheaper than buying an AF lens 400mm or greater (to reach a bridge camera's 600mm 135-equivalent focal length).

I was hoping Pentax would make theirs different by having it sealed, though, but they didn't, so they'd have to wow me with image quality.
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Well, I believe bridge cameras, at least today, are there to satisfy the niche of people who want a do-it-all zoom range without the bulk of bringing a DSLR and two or more lenses. As well, certain focal lengths are nigh unattainable with DSLRs unless one has serious money to spend.

On a more personal note, bridge cameras stand out less in public areas, too, and so I'll be less likely to be harassed by local authorities when I'm out shooting in the streets.

I know I'd be interested in a bridge camera with decent image quality. The price of a bridge camera is quite cheaper than buying an AF lens 400mm or greater (to reach a bridge camera's 600mm 135-equivalent focal length).

I was hoping Pentax would make theirs different by having it sealed, though, but they didn't, so they'd have to wow me with image quality.
I am no camera expert, and don't know much about all the cameras out there...but, why wouldn't a very compact P&S offer what you are looking for ?, what will the bridge camera offer that a very good TINY P&S cannot? I am genuinely perplexed....What will this camera offer that Ned's Leica P&S doesn't (I genuinly don't know, and would like to know). Thanks.
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I am no camera expert, and don't know much about all the cameras out there...but, why wouldn't a very compact P&S offer what you are looking for ?, what will the bridge camera offer that a very good TINY P&S cannot? I am genuinely perplexed....What will this camera offer that Ned's Leica P&S doesn't (I genuinly don't know, and would like to know). Thanks.
a 24x optical zoom. You can't do that with a P&S - not enough space.

I have a Panny FZ-20 - one of the original "bridge" ultrazooms. IQ is poor by today's standards, but it functions rather well for certain things. Being able to go from 26-600+ with the X70 is pretty cool. Whether it is useful is another story.

03-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Hi all

Re vinzer's comment:

QuoteQuote:
I know I'd be interested in a bridge camera with decent image quality.
As far as I'm concerned, image quality has always been the major "achilles-heel" of all bridge-camera designs to date, primarily due to their miniscule/noisy sensors. If I understand correctly that the new Pentax X70 is reported to be equipped with an APS-C sized sensor, this would appear to be a step in the right direction where image quality is concerned. However, unless Pentax can be seen to distinguish themselves in an already crowded market sector by incorporating some form of unique selling-point such as weatherproofing, fully articulating LCD screen etc, I simply fail to see the point of producing this new model ? In fact I think Art Vandelay had a perfectly valid point, when he said:

QuoteQuote:
If they come out with a bridge camera to compete against the other 30 or so bridge cameras already in the market I think you can forget about calling it a niche product. It looks like Pentax is shaping up to be a niche company without any niche products. Brilliant!
I've long suspected that digital camera manufacturers have naturally been rather reluctant to make a bridge-camera which could match the image quality of say an entry-level DSLR for fear of losing potential sales, but to be honest I think they are totally missing the point.
I'd hazard a guess that the majority of average punters out there in this segment still remain somewhat reluctant to confront the perceived technical complexities of a full-blown DSLR, whilst also baulking at the high(ish) costs involved. Therefore a really decently specified bridge-camera would likely suit such users, but conversely might also serve to muddy the waters slightly where these two market-sectors intersect.

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Incidentally, I also have a Panasonic FZ-20 quietly gathering dust somewhere, so I appreciate where nostatic is coming from on this one.....!

Last edited by Confused; 03-02-2009 at 09:01 PM.
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #70
Pentaxian

They probably *did* have a bigger appeal to the serious crowd, Pcarfan, when there weren't really any small dslrs worthy of the name and you just couldn't get anything decent used for the same money: one thing bridge cameras offer, compared to many smaller p&S's (apart from the obvious factor of, 'Hey, I've got the equivalent of a a stabilized 28-500 2.8-4.5 in my blazer pocket that can focus inside its own lens hood' ) is actually the ability to *control* things a lot better than with the teenies. If you have the time, which is a key factor, since they apparently are only just starting to grow control wheels.

They do actually have a useful market, though. The way my little guy has been set up while riding shotgun with film cameras, dropped right into my sweetie's sciencey field survey stuff, and before that, even with a big hood (and the tube for it: put a UV filter on there and dust and grit and spray don't get at the extendable lens works, and even an old Bogen mini-flexhead on there, weighed nearly nothing and took up less space in the bag than a winderless film camera with a lens mounted. Still is likely to ride that way again, really.

A lot of work done with cameras is actually fairly prosaic, and doesn't even need DSLR quality. If they could eliminate the lag in the EVFs and shutters and stick a few controls on there, I could even go for one for a lot of purposes, myself. I don't wanna carry around a big telephoto, when what I consider my real focus is elsewhere, but sometimes you can grab a snap that way with a bridge, while you're toting around things you *do* wanna get snobby about.
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

This is exactly what my wife wants...better than her point and shoot and smaller/easier than my k20d. It also has HD video.....which is what she really wants for taking video of the kids. Not my thing but it opens a whole new market for Pentax.
03-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
This is exactly what my wife wants...better than her point and shoot and smaller/easier than my k20d. It also has HD video.....which is what she really wants for taking video of the kids. Not my thing but it opens a whole new market for Pentax.
There's the video thing, too, I suppose, if you want that: this kind of design does adapt pretty well to the use, relatively-speaking. My (can't believe I wanted to say 'old') Lumix has some basic video capability, that I've used for a total of two clips, (and under terrible conditions, too, I actually turned it on cause it was too dark to get a decent digital still with the camera and was casting about for an idea: that forgotten video feature came to mind, for once. If you've got a little knob or handle in the tripod socket, a bridge camera can actually make a fair minicam, as improvising goes. .)

My thought on seeing the photos of the Pentax bridge, if that's really it, were first, 'Wot, no filter threads? ' and being unimpressed with failure-to cuteify down that Pentax DSLR shape, which coes grow on one, I think.
03-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the explanation, it makes sense now. My wife was saying she may get into this hobby as well, but I am waiting for a suitable K-mount camera for her. But, I guess if I am not selfish, I might get this for her...but, alas I need K-mount glasses, so this is not an option