Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax will introduce a new camera at PMA...

...but it won't be a reflex.

My local sales rep tells me that at the PMA Pentax will show a bridge camera a la Lumix FZ-28 or Oly SP570, and that we'll have to wait until May-June for a new reflex. He has zero info about the new reflex.

01-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Your "local field rep"

is a bona fide Ninnyhammer.

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote

My local sales rep tells me that at the PMA Pentax will show a bridge camera a la Lumix FZ-28 or Oly SP570, and that we'll have to wait until May-June for a new reflex. He has zero info about the new reflex.
01-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote

Sure... Which is why Ned Bunnel is justifying his purchase of the Leica D-LUX4 by saying that Pentax is not a contender in that market segment... Perhaps they forgot to inform him...

Wim
01-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
is a bona fide Ninnyhammer.
Or a Cotton-Headed Ninny Muffin?

bonus point to those who got that joke

01-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
We'll see. I don't see any reason not to trust him. He has been right several times before.

In a bit more than 30 days we can reactivate this thread to see if i was right.
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Sure... Which is why Ned Bunnel is justifying his purchase of the Leica D-LUX4 by saying that Pentax is not a contender in that market segment... Perhaps they forgot to inform him...

Wim
It would not surprise me if Hoya hasn't keep Mr Bunnel is the loop. The old Pentax Japan was famous for not keeping their US subsidiary informed.

VR
Darryl
01-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
<It would not surprise me if Hoya hasn't keep Mr Bunnel is the loop. The old Pentax Japan was famous for not keeping their US subsidiary informed.>

Who knows? Maybe Ned is already on his way out the door, and posting about the Leica is his parting shot.

Rob

01-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!
01-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #9

Maybe this one rebadged?

Anyway: Bunnell buy a Leicasonic -> Pentax announces similar camera -> Bunnell compares them on his blog and [surprise] the latter wins = marketing genius.
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Maybe this one rebadged?

Anyway: Bunnell buy a Leicasonic -> Pentax announces similar camera -> Bunnell compares them on his blog and [surprise] the latter wins = marketing genius.
Could be. Of course, to further indulge my pet theory... What if there's a Leica affiliation in the works? Maybe Lumix comes with the package, or Leica gets some of those designs in a divorce, ...and needs a less-luxury marque to sell volume under?

Part of my rationale here is that everyone and their brother seems to have a pretty nice bridge camera, these days. Would Pentax really want to be competing for that market with their own R&D when entry level DSLRs are getting so relatively-cheap? Maybe there's a consolidation going on there. Could Olympus end up the odd ones out, if so? Become all about the Micro Four Thirds, perhaps?

Pentax, meanwhile, tahdah! Has a bridge camera.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-29-2009 at 11:08 AM.
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A bridge camera with a 1/2.3 or even a 1/1.6 sized sensor would be suicidal seeing as how Olympus is rumored be announcing these at PMA:

Two Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras rumored for soonish release - Engadget

Rumors: Olympus M1 and M100 will be two new Micro Four Thirds cameras - 1001 Noisy Cameras

Rumored specs:

+ Olympus M-100: The "orange carrot-cam" we've seen prototyped at Photokina 2008 with the 14-70mm kit lens (28-140mm 35mm-eq)

+ Olympus M-1: Weather-sealed, with HD video recording, and 3.2" LCD, and a 12-45mm (24-90mm 35mm-eq) lens.

If they drop something like that rumored M1 on the market I'll never even own a DSLR again, much less a bridge camera.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 01-29-2009 at 01:45 PM.
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

what i want to know, is where do these lurkers come from?
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what i want to know, is where do these lurkers come from?
Remnants of WendyB.
01-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What is the name of your "sales rep"? Jack Schitt?

Jason
01-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'Suicidal?' I really don't see bridge cameras as being that big a deal either way, not till EVF tech really comes of age, anyway. Whole different market than an interchangeable-lens not-SLR, even before you start buying expensive lenses. And they just don't have the small primes, yet, last I saw. By the time you stick an adapter, lens, or a slow zoom on one of those, you're talking a whole lot more money than a bridge camera.... probably before covering anywhere near the zoom range people seem to want in the bridge cameras.

Not that they're not nice things, but Olympus coming out with a fancy little micro four thirds does not 'suicidal' make.

Just not the same market. It'll be interesting to see what take Pentax might have on a bridge camera, though... if anything, it seems there's just so many decent ones out there, it'll be hard to find a niche.