Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Availability of new Pentax products

Maybe this is old news, I just found an announcement on the web page of Pentax Switzerland (Nachrichten - PENTAX (Schweiz) AG) dated 19th January:

- DA*55
march/april

- DA*60-250 and AF 160FC
the first delivery of these products is planned for the first half of this year

- Teleconverter
could become available this year

01-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What I still don't understand... Just how hard is it to successfully produce and market a teleconverter? I've been waiting for that one for ages. I just don't get it.
01-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What I still don't understand... Just how hard is it to successfully produce and market a teleconverter? I've been waiting for that one for ages. I just don't get it.
Unfortunately they can't please us all at the same time with the resources they have.
I'm waiting for that TC too.
01-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Do you have any idea just how small Pentax actually is and how few engineers they have? None of it is harder than any other but they have to prioritise. If you want it all yesterday buy a Canon.

01-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Do you have any idea just how small Pentax actually is and how few engineers they have? None of it is harder than any other but they have to prioritise. If you want it all yesterday buy a Canon.
Well, there is maybe something in between. Pentax needs to prioritise, I fully agree on that, but what is the point in announcing new products which will not be released within a year?

I ordered the AF160 macro flash beginning of october. It was then said being released by mid-november, now they say it will be released within the first half of this year.

I am also interested in the TC, which was announced long ago, and this announcement say that it could be released this year.

When was the DA*60-250 announced?
01-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Do you have any idea just how small Pentax actually is and how few engineers they have? None of it is harder than any other but they have to prioritise.
I don't care about how small Pentax is and how few engineers they have. That's none of my business as a customer. They could have outsourced it to Kenko or Tamron. A converter isn't rocket science, not even if it has SDM contacts.

I've always felt like this: if you don't want to sell the items soon, then please don't show us the products! I have seen the vaporware under glass at the Photokina, and it takes them damn long to get the items to the market. I still remember when I got the K20D, only a few weeks after when it was shown to the audience for the first time. Can't they do the same with a simple converter? Just keep it secret and wham! Throw it on the market when no-one expects it.

Edit: here's the damn converter :P

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2008/Pentax/DSC_0728.jpg
01-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want it all yesterday buy a Canon.
Or in the case of the 60-250mm .. if you want it within 3 years buy a .......

01-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Damn Brit

Maybe the delay with the TC is because of compatibility with SDM lenses.
01-30-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll be pretty honest here: I'd rather they spend 3 years getting something right, than release it immediately and have it be plagued with problems like the DA* 16-50.
01-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
Forum Member

No I don't to be fair, how big are they then?
01-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Maybe the delay with the TC is because of compatibility with SDM lenses.
I've got a Kenko 1.5x TC that works with SDM.
If Kenko could sort that out, I shouldn't be a problem for Pentax. I hope.

But it would be nice if the new TC could convert the focal length and aperture transmitted to the camera - I can wait for that. Again, doesn't sound like a rocket science, but maybe there is a problem with that.
01-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've been waiting a long time for that DA*60-250/4 as well. I've hesitated a few times to leave it and go for another option, but so far my FA*300/4.5 has enabled be not to *need* the DA*60-250/4. I almost got me the DA*300/4, but since no one wanted to buy my FA*300/4.5 at the price I requested, I didn't.

So... I'm waiting still, and hoping that when they do bring it out, it *will* work fine with a TC. If not the Tamron TC I currently use on my FA*300/4.5 (which has powerzoom contacts for SDM), then the new TC. I would *need* confirmation of that though.

Well... should it be available end March, then I'll probably buy it at B&H since I'll be passing there around that time...

Shame there is no mention of the DA15/4 limited. I'm looking forward to that one much more. That's actually the lens I've been waiting for ever since I bought the *istDS on the first day it was sold in Belgium...

Wim
01-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I hope I'm wrong but it just seems like Pentax/Hoya is blowing smoke up our bums.
01-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

what I don't understand is why they bother to make a TC. They are evil...if you want longer glass buy longer glass.

There, that should settle things
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
I'll be pretty honest here: I'd rather they spend 3 years getting something right, than release it immediately and have it be plagued with problems like the DA* 16-50.
I agree with that, but I would say that if they can't get it right 3 years after announcing it then it's possibly a flawed design to begin with? They will have worked on it for some time before announcing it to start with ...

I've finally given up on the 60-250mm - my Sigma 100-300mm arrived today (which for me is a preferable length anyway). I'm sure I won't be the only person to have bought something else that will do the job and in this case my money went to Sigma. I also bought the Sigma 1.4xTC to go with it

and when I say 'I bought' I of course mean my girlfriend bought me