Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
like they forgot the right beginner standard settings with the K-m,
What is right or wrong settings for sharpness, saturation and contrast is personal.
When the K10D was released with Natural image tone as default, Dpreview didn't liked it because it was too soft with too low contrast. But the K10D was for the advanced users, and the target market for K10D post process their images more.

Now when Pentax release an entry level beginners camera with more in-camera sharpening and higher contrast than the K-m, to adress the previous criticism made by Dpreview and to adress the needs of beginners who comes from p&s cameras that has pumped up JPEG-processing - Dpreview suddenly has changed what they believe a good image is and now, suddenly out of the blue, high contrast and much sharpening is a bad thing.

Poor Pentax. If they had introduced the K10D with the K-m settings, then the K10D would have been loved by Dpreview, and if they had introduced the K-m with the K10D settings, then the K-m had been loved.

But I don't understand why a camera targeted for advanced users should have more JPEG processing done than a camera made for beginners. But that is what Dpreview tells you!

I believe most beginners will like the settings in the K-m.
It is like Fuji Velvia, which was a very likeable film in it's day.
I shoot Agfa, which was neutral and natural. Most beginners didn't liked Agfa, because they find it too bland. Most beginners loved the high contrast and saturation from Fuji, even many professionals. I think Pentax made the right choice with the K-m, it has JPEG like Fuji Velvia.

It is easy to set it to Agfa for those that prefers it.

02-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by terminator Quote
DPR has a case to complain about k2000's in-camera jpeg processing. I understand that it is important for P&S users who first get their hand on a DSLR.
I believe p&s users is going to like over-processed images that the K-m produces in Bright image mode, because that is what they are used to getting from their p&s. When K10D was released with Natural image tone as default, Dpreview complained about it beacuse they wanted more contrast, more saturation, more sharpness - that is what beginners wants. (Dpreview never understood that the K10D was for advanced photographers, not for beginners). Now when Pentax delivers just that with the K-m, Dpreview are still no happy.

Silly.
02-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Dpreview "test" of the K2000 certainly does not get a "recommended" from me. Not even "just"! In fact I think it is flawed and the conclusions should be reconsidered.

Please let me prove my point. First, a quote from the Dpreview Canon EOS 1000D review (under the "pro" heading):

"Typical Canon CMOS noise-free images, remain detailed even at high sensitivities"

Now let's read the Pentax K2000 review from Dpreview, under "Overall conclusion":

"[...] but the poor level of detail if you examine the images closely puts the K2000 at the bottom of its class for image quality"

OK, now on to the Imaging Resource Comparometer. LEFT is the Canon EOS 1000D, the RIGHT is the Pentax K2000. Notice the detail in the fiddler's hat? So yes, the review from Dpreview is severely, severely flawed and the conclusion needs to be reconsidered!

02-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's make a more accurate comparison:

How much money Canon give DPR:
$$$$$$$

How much money Pentax give DPR:
-

(numbers subject to change without notice)

Last edited by ftpaddict; 02-03-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: consistency!!!
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Let's make a more accurate comparison:

How much money Canon give DPR:
$$$$$$$

How much money Pentax give DPR:
-

(numbers subject to change without notice)

Are you saying Richard and Lars are "owned?"
02-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #36
Pentaxian

If they are not paid, they should be. Such a bias deserve a hefty reward!