Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
If Pentax wants to position themselves as an "outdoor" brand, wouldn't it make sense to have some weather-sealed lenses in the lower price ranges as well? .
They already have. As I understand the voicings from Pentax they will make "all" lenses weather sealed in due course. I also suspect that the K-m is in for an update as well this year and that it involves weather sealing. Now that the kit lens is weather sealed, why not the "kit" body?
All this is guesswork though.....

07-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #17

Fun to see this come about - a huge plus for Pentax. I jumped on board for the fantastic and reasonably priced primes, now I get a fully water resistant kit to boot! Yahoo!
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
what are the advantages / shortcomings of a system where one has a weather-resistant body but not weather-resistant lens, and also a non weather-sealed body (km) and weather-resistant lens when compared to a completely resistant and a non-resistant system?
Kinda of a meaningless question don't ya think? I know you were just being rhetorical in the set of questions... I agree completely what is the point of a mixed setup?

Of course there is no a lot of benefit to a mixed system if sealed & unsealed discrete components. I find it funny that there are postings around here that warn of the dangers of an unsealed battery grip yet the poster owns not a single sealed lens. Still a sealed body at least offers some long term protection against environmental intrusion like dust, moisture, grit, sand, what-not building-up inside the system over time. To me that alone is worth considering for the places I really want to use my gear but have not because I need to make my investment in the gear last as long as possible. In fact it is a reason I never too my 40D to some places like hikes around the ocean, long term exposure to saltwater/air can't be great for a body. With the sealed bodies one can just out the body cap in place and hose off the body when ya get home just like you would with your fishing gear after a day of ocean/surf fishing...

still to have perfectly effective environmentally-sealed/protection system each part that makes up the whole must be sealed. even in my above example of shooting around the ocean, air can creep in, theoretically, via the unsealed lens. I think though most modern lenses are pretty closed off anyway even if not actually weather sealed. but don't accidentally drop or set the lens down on say, the beach, beside a lake or pond or even dusty area because something is bound to, eventually, get in there...

My question is what about sealed flashes? I have not read, or have missed that the Pentax flashes are or are not WR sealed. There will be times a person needs an off camera or shoe mounted flash in conditions which could kill the poor flash and maybe take the rest of the rig with it given the electrical connection to the body.

I would love if Pentax moved to an all sealed line-up. It certainly would force the hand of other camera makers. BUT, they cannot price lenses as if they had in-lens stabilization simply because they are sealed. Also, if Pentax is going that way, then they need to up the ante warranty wise on their lenses...at minimum they need to offer an extended warranty one can buy with all sealed lenses. As long as lenses are fairly priced, read on par with a company like Sigma, I would have no problem dropping an extra $20-$30 for a transferable 4yr warranty with the usual exclusions for abuse of course. I mean it's not like the sealing is intended for using the rig at the bottom of your pool or when swimming in the lake on summer vacation.
07-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think hosing off the camera body is a good idea, it's not made to withstand pressurized water.

As for weather-sealed flashes, do those exist for any system? If you're going for an elaborate lighting setup, I'm guessing you could just put an umbrella over the lighting stand or something.
I would not want to use a high-voltage flash unit out in the rain anyways.

07-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't think hosing off the camera body is a good idea, it's not made to withstand pressurized water.

As for weather-sealed flashes, do those exist for any system? If you're going for an elaborate lighting setup, I'm guessing you could just put an umbrella over the lighting stand or something.
I would not want to use a high-voltage flash unit out in the rain anyways.
sigh...nit pickers, and nannys, the bain of the web...do you think people do not have common sense? Who in the right mind would use a high pressure hose? gawds man, think..."hosing it off" is a figure of speech for gawds sakes...

As for the flash thing, it was a question...period, thanks for the answer and opinion.
07-18-2009, 03:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
sigh...nit pickers, and nannys, the bain of the web...
Did you mean bane?

QuoteQuote:
do you think people do not have common sense? Who in the right mind would use a high pressure hose? gawds man, think..."hosing it off" is a figure of speech for gawds sakes...
Actually, no, I do not think people have common sense. At all. Of course I didn't take hosing it off literally, but I do remember seeing someone putting their Pentax under a faucet to clean it off.

QuoteQuote:
As for the flash thing, it was a question...period, thanks for the answer and opinion.
It was a question from me as well, I don't know if any other systems have sealed flashes, but I would think not.
07-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Actually, no, I do not think people have common sense. At all. Of course I didn't take hosing it off literally, but I do remember seeing someone putting their Pentax under a faucet to clean it off.

Well, it worked, didn't it?

One of the classic tricks users of the old Olympus E-1 cameras loved to do was to take their camera (with a weathersealed lens, of course), casually walk by some mainstream SLR user who was being very careful to keep their camera out of the sand, and "accidentally" drop their E-1 on the beach. Then they would lean down and pick up their now-sandy camera, walk down to the water, and rinse it off in the surf. I imagine you could do the same with a K-7+16-50.

Sometime "common" sense is just plain old boring.
07-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'm hoping for it. The Olympus mid-lower tier normal zoom, the 14-54 2.8-3.5, is weathersealed ...
mid-lower? This lens is first rate optically, which everyone knows who have used it.

But otherwise I agree: it can be done, just some rubber, but Canikon are too arrogant to make such lenses. Cudos to Oly and of course Pentax for offering top gear at reasonable prices.

07-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
what are the advantages / shortcomings of a system where one has a weather-resistant body but not weather-resistant lens, and also a non weather-sealed body (km) and weather-resistant lens when compared to a completely resistant and a non-resistant system?
O_O
So you would rather have both lens and camera body destroyed rather than just the camera body?

I am guessing that Pentax won't release any more WR lenses that aren't DA*. I mean, seriously, I don't know any other brand that offers weather sealing on any lens below $1000. Pentax already has 5. DA* 16-50mm, 50-135mm, 200mm, 18-55mm, and 50-200mm. Of course there are the 60-250mm and 300mm, but those are a little past $1000 ($1200 and $1100 respectively).
07-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Kinda of a meaningless question don't ya think? I know you were just being rhetorical in the set of questions... I agree completely what is the point of a mixed setup?

Of course there is no a lot of benefit to a mixed system if sealed & unsealed discrete components. I find it funny that there are postings around here that warn of the dangers of an unsealed battery grip yet the poster owns not a single sealed lens. Still a sealed body at least offers some long term protection against environmental intrusion like dust, moisture, grit, sand, what-not building-up inside the system over time. To me that alone is worth considering for the places I really want to use my gear but have not because I need to make my investment in the gear last as long as possible. In fact it is a reason I never too my 40D to some places like hikes around the ocean, long term exposure to saltwater/air can't be great for a body.
Well, you've described the issue right there.

I don't own any weathersealed lenses, but I never did before digital, either.

I can treat my K20d in snow or light rain just like I would a mechanical film body. It's a lot easier to protect a lens than a whole body full of circuit boards, never mind one running on a lot of juice (like a battery grip) and penetrated all over by un-sealed buttons and dials and hinges and doors that lead to computer-interfacey sockets.

If it's drizzling, I do what I always do with my old Canons. Point the lens down when carrying, and don't worry about it.

Combining sealed lenses with a sealed body saves you having to use a plastic bag and rubber band in real weather, but in practice, I rarely resort to that, anyway.

To say it's pointless without a sealed lens is to really miss... the point. A sealed body means you can use that body.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-22-2009 at 09:09 AM.
08-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #26
Pentaxian

It was fun reading a thread from earlier this year. So many authoritative opinions on the impracticality of entry-level weather-resistant lenses. All you guys who said the 18-55 WR and 55-200 WR couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't be done need to reread your posts and stop being so definitive when predicting the future.