Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will Pentax release any entry-level, weather sealed lenses?

If Pentax wants to position themselves as an "outdoor" brand, wouldn't it make sense to have some weather-sealed lenses in the lower price ranges as well? Of course they would need to be a bit more expensive than the current kit lenses, but without SDM, and with slower/variable aperture, I believe the price could still be reasonable.
Weather-sealing is a big part of the reason why I chose Pentax in the first place, but all the issues with the DA* 16-50 (especially on the K10D, which I have) makes me hesitant to invest in it. I would be all over a cheaper weather-sealed lens.

Maybe I should start saving for the upcoming DA* 30, should be easier to make a decent prime lens design.

01-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weathersealing lenses are often reserved for top quality and fast lenses, which are usually expensive to begin with. 17-70/4 should have a bit around the mount, but else it will be reserved for f/2.8 zooms and STAR primes.
Entry-level lenses cannot be priced competitively, if they should incorporate sealing. Many top quality Nikon lenses are not sealed, and even some Canon L lenses neither, and no Sony lenses. So just having it available; is a big plus.

Lower quality lenses are not built with the same tight tolerances, so not sure it would be possible.
01-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably not entry level.

It should be noted that the DA* lenses are actually pretty moderately-priced for pro-quality glass. Compare prices to similar weather-sealed offerings from the competition and you will feel fortunate to have purchased Pentax.

Steve

(Still too poor to own any * glass...)
01-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep in mind that a sealed body is a good thing to have, even with an un-sealed lens. There are a lot more electronics in a body than a lens, and more entry points too.

01-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #5

For the most part, the pro level glass from competitors is designed to work on full frame as well, which requires higher quality optics for best results?
01-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm hoping for it. The Olympus mid-lower tier normal zoom, the 14-54 2.8-3.5, is weathersealed and going for under $400, and their other mid-tier lenses (and obviously their upper-level lenses) are all weathersealed to an excellent degree. It's not as if it can't be done.

I fully believe that an entry-level weathersealed lens could be priced competitively because it would be in a seperate mini-class of its own: If they made a sealed version of the current kit lens I bet they could sell it just fine at ~$150.
01-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
If Pentax wants to position themselves as an "outdoor" brand, wouldn't it make sense to have some weather-sealed lenses in the lower price ranges as well? Of course they would need to be a bit more expensive than the current kit lenses, but without SDM, and with slower/variable aperture, I believe the price could still be reasonable.
Weather-sealing is a big part of the reason why I chose Pentax in the first place, but all the issues with the DA* 16-50 (especially on the K10D, which I have) makes me hesitant to invest in it. I would be all over a cheaper weather-sealed lens.

Maybe I should start saving for the upcoming DA* 30, should be easier to make a decent prime lens design.
What I am hoping for is good quality, reasonably priced primes: not "limited" nor DA*... just "normal" lenses for the average Joe who wants quality but no fancy stuff.... just like 90% of the old FA primes used to be.

01-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Weather sealing is great and it costs.

I would rather see all zoom lenses buildt like the DA*50-135mm without the "*".
It has to be possible to make 16-50/2.8 and 17-70/4 with IF and "IZ"= innerzoom.
Don't know what they call it?
If there's no part of the lens that moves in or out and have the same dimension at 16mm and 50mm, then it's easy to weatherseal it yourself with a lenscover or some plastic.

DA 17-70mm f/4 and DA*50-135mm f/2.8

Almost identical in size.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 01-31-2009 at 04:36 PM.
01-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
What I am hoping for is good quality, reasonably priced primes: not "limited" nor DA*... just "normal" lenses for the average Joe who wants quality but no fancy stuff.... just like 90% of the old FA primes used to be.
Don't you think that the average Joe probably prefers zooms? But I agree that decent quality, weather-sealed primes would be great!
01-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably not entry level.

It should be noted that the DA* lenses are actually pretty moderately-priced for pro-quality glass. Compare prices to similar weather-sealed offerings from the competition and you will feel fortunate to have purchased Pentax.

Steve

(Still too poor to own any * glass...)
This is true. For instance the Nikon 17-55 has similar features to the 16-50 and costs $1200, compared to $700.
However, I'd like to see some lower-quality glass in a weather-sealed design, if that makes sense...say a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, without SDM. But it may confuse buyers, and attract them away from the higher-end glass, I guess. Currently, SDM and weather-sealing is the only thing that separates the 16-50 from the Tamron 17-50, for instance, which is a lot cheaper.
01-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #11

That goes against Pentax's 1) compact 2) rockbottom entry level bodies principles that have been with Pentax for decades and decades, much longer than this weather sealed bulletin point.
01-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Weathersealing lenses are often reserved for top quality and fast lenses, which are usually expensive to begin with. 17-70/4 should have a bit around the mount, but else it will be reserved for f/2.8 zooms and STAR primes.
Is there a law against a light and compact, sealed, silent * lenses?

Something in the line of a 20-50/4 would be nice I think, probably considerably less expensive than the 16-50/2,8. Should be doable with 58mm filter size, and weight under 300-350g.

I have the 16-50, it is nice, but it is a big lump of glass. IMO to hefty for hiking.

Last edited by Fototim; 02-02-2009 at 06:38 AM.
02-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

I would love them to make a 18-135mm sealed lens with SDM as a multipurpose travel lens, so I could use it along side the 30mm da*.
In fact, given that I live in the UK, regardless of going on holiday a weather sealed lens in my budget would be great!
02-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Totaly agree here!
I'm fed up with DA* and ltd lenses being the only new options from Pentax! FAs were/are good but their availability in UK is poor. You only can get 35/2 and 50/1.4. Every new prime released or planned for APS-C is * or ltd. I know they are great but I can't really justify such expenses on my hobby!
It would really be great to be able to buy DA prime for normal price...
BR
07-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

what are the advantages / shortcomings of a system where one has a weather-resistant body but not weather-resistant lens, and also a non weather-sealed body (km) and weather-resistant lens when compared to a completely resistant and a non-resistant system?