Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Now that the K2000/Km has been out for a little while, was it a smart marketing idea?
Yes, very smart to add new customers! 8870.97%
Don't know, too early still. 2318.55%
No, this is backfiring. 1310.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Absolutely, the only real quibble I had with the K-M was the lack of AF point confirmation. That really, really annoyed me, because I wanted to use it to shoot Taks and other MF lenses occasionally, and I hated the MF experience without that red indicator.

Other than that, it's a great little camera - handles so well, is small but very solid feeling, very fun to shoot. I adjusted the jpegs to my taste right after I turned it on the first time, and didn't have a problem with them - a bit more noise than my K20D, but overall, the jpeg engine seemed better than my Nikon D80, which IMO has bad noise reduction implementation and blows highlights like crazy.

AF speed was improved over my K100DS and K20D. I really liked that camera, except for the &^@#%)&%! focus-lock indicator! Grrr!

Example of 'crappy' jpegs straight from the K-M:

Apparently, you and I are some of the few that like that red indicator for taks and other m42 lenses. Anyway, I won't be getting a K-m anytime soon due to having the k20d and k200d already. I'd definitely consider the white version if I didn't.

Edit: While I think the K-m including the white edition is a good idea, I agree that the pricing and packaging options are somewhat of a buzz kill for it.

Last edited by Blue; 02-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Without a top end camera, Pentax really needs a competitive entry level camera. Pentax needs to do a lot better market research before they market a new camera. I'd even consider buying one if it wasn't for the bonehead decision to leave out the focus confirmation signal. Did they even bother to check that decision with their legion of loyal customers - doubt it. It probably cost them more to remove it than to just leave that feature in.

Now for a caveat on the other side. A friend at my camera club is considering upgrading from his old Nikon D50 to the D60. Found out that his recent new 50mm lens won't autofocus on the D60 he is considering because they have moved the focus motor from the body to the lens. No backward compatibility for Nikon lenses, and the folks just keep on dishing out money.

The Pentax KM was a good decision, but they need to doublecheck their decisions with some market research before making some of the bonehead decisions which haunt their system.

Phil
02-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Shame I missed this post

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
stop shooting real pictures! We want spec sheets, innuendo, and focus charts! Everyone knows that is what is important!!!

Next thing you'll actually want to *use* the camera in question regularly...heresy!

Absolute genuis post LOL LOL LOL (hah ha ha)

Well said, and I love the avatar!

Stefan

Picture (RAW) taken with K-m yesterday in my backyard (pumpkin flower)

02-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

IMHO the whole JPEG issue is a bit odd and really should not deter anyone.

WHat should deter you ...

- Absurd decision to butcher the AF system.

- AA batteries makes this camera heavier than it outta be, a bit pointless at this end of the market

- No orientation sensor, again a petty, petty thing to remove and it wrecks havoc when trying to sort images on your PC.

02-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #20

I like my k-m

The k-m made me come back to photography.

I enjoy the RAW picture quality, love to re-use my old Pentax lenses and believe it's a wonderful light-weight tool for the next 12 to 18 months until I will have figured out what to upgrade to. It's a low-budget entry-level camera with enough features to keep me busy trying out techniques that I had forgotten.

By the way, here in Europe I had the choice to buy the camera with one or two zoom kit lenses - a little more logical packaging than what is offered in the States I guess.
02-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Too optimistic?

It seams to be a good camera, in a test in Sweden they say at in low light K-m going on shooting then Canon 1000D and Nikon D60 needs focus light to get focus. And in another test resolution in RAW are better with Pentax K-m than Canon 1000 and Sony A200 with kit lenses. Even better than old Canon 5D if both have sharp lenses.

So i believe that K-m and itīs followers K300D and K30D is a big(or bigger) step forward then then K10D and K100D came out. Now Pentax has a chance to take more of the marked, because Canon and Nikon have maybe 80% of the marked and then it goes down they can only lose - not be bigger. But Pentax have the chance with good cameras to take more % of the marked.
02-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I think Pentax has a camera for everyone's budget and that's a good thing. I can't remember the price difference between the K100d and it K110d but it must have been big enough to sway people away from paying extra for shake reduction but not enough of a following to make a K210d since sales were sluggish.

02-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Absolutely, the only real quibble I had with the K-M was the lack of AF point confirmation. That really, really annoyed me, because I wanted to use it to shoot Taks and other MF lenses occasionally, and I hated the MF experience without that red indicator.

AF speed was improved over my K100DS and K20D. I really liked that camera, except for the &^@#%)&%! focus-lock indicator! Grrr!
Sorry, but I'm not following you here.
When you are using a manual focus lens, doesn't the AF system automatically sets to middle point? Are multiple AF sensors available when using an old manual focus lens?
I thought they were only available when focusing manually with an autofocus lens with QuickShift.

The K-m has a green hexagon that confirms focus with manual focus lenses, and other lenses too.
02-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
the main reason I think it is backfiring in Australia currently.

1) Exclusive to Ted's camera store???
Not anymore. DCW and JB don't have it. But Vanbar and Michaels do...

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
2) Priced $200-$250 more than k200d price, which is what I would recommend to my friends/family if they asked..
... And wouldn't you know it, it's more expensive at Vanbar and Michaels than Teds

The single kit at Michaels is just as much as the twin from Teds, WTF? And yes, all far more expensive than the K200D + DA18-55 at DCW

(note: had to mention the DA as the local distributers, in their utter stupidity, generally bundle a Pentax body with the cheap and crappy Sigma 18-50 F3.5-5.6 DC lens)
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #25

If they sold it body-only, I would have bought one already.