Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Now that the K2000/Km has been out for a little while, was it a smart marketing idea?
Yes, very smart to add new customers! 8870.97%
Don't know, too early still. 2318.55%
No, this is backfiring. 1310.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k2000/Km has been out for a little while, what's your thoughts?

I don't have one. But I've been doing a lot of reading here on the site about the new little cameras. As I suspected, it seems that it has brought many new people to the brand. Which is what I thought would happen, build a new customer base.

What does everyone think about the camera now that it's been out for a short time? Was it a smart move or not so smart?

01-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

K-m/K2000 is a great little dSLR despite many shortcomings Pentax/Hoya should have seen before they introduced it to the public.

The test on dpreview.com is spot on.
An entry level dSLR should have great jpg's like the P&S cameras.
Saturated and sharpened pictures that looks great to the beginner.
Many beginners who are new to dSLR buy one to get better images, they shoot in jpg and see the pictures. "WTF! I thought my pictures would be better with a dSLR, my P&S produce better pictures than this!"
When they get more familiar with the camera and more advanced with PP they will change their mind abot jpg and just shoot in RAW.

The review of K-m is great, but it got "Recommended (with reservations)" because of the jpg quality. Same thing happened with K200D, K10D, K20D.

In camera jpg are a waste, Pentax could remove it from K30D and I wouldn't care.

The only thing I really don't like about the K-m/K2000 is the lack of AF confirmation with the red blinking light in the viewfinder I have on K20D.
01-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A good, cheap DSLR; it worked for others, it will work for Pentax.
And I bet in the real life one can get excellent pics even with in-camera JPEGs. I stopped trusting dpreview a long time ago, when it was clear they are trying hard to "find" faults on Pentax cameras. Call me a fanboy if you want, I printed one of their samples and it certainly didn't had a "6.0 image quality" look. In fact, I dare to say my cheap printer (Canon IP4300) was most likely the limitation.
About removing in-camera JPEGS for K30D; OK, they should do that. It would allow DPReview to rate for the first time in history a DSLR as "Below Average"(with reservations) Now, seriously, that's ridiculous - the K20D has very good jpegs, many people are actually using jpegs or RAW+jpeg; not having this option on a DSLR would be the second biggest mistake a camera manufacturer could make (the first one being not having RAW).
Btw, NorthPentax - K10D was Highly Recommended (just), while the K20D was Highly Recommended (even dpreview couldn't find faults with K20D's JPEGs, and believe me, they tried).

Last edited by Kunzite; 01-31-2009 at 02:34 PM.
01-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #4

I have a k2000. Received it on Dec 26, 2008, sent it to Pentax because of severe front focus on Jan 07, and am still waiting it to come back.

Like NorthPentax, I cannot imagine what the heck Pentax camera designers were thinking when they decided to remove the AF confirmation and AF point selection from k2000. I bought this camera for my wife because of its lightweight and 31LE/77LE. Even as a beginner, she complained about the lacking of these functions. Shooting my boy with k2000 and 31LE wide open becomes virtually impractical because the re-composition tends to make the photo out of focus.

The other complaint goes to the 4 AA batteries. It kills the biggest benefit of this camera - lightweight. If not because Canon did a terrible job to create some lightweight high-quality lens like the LEs and pancakes, I would stick with Canon.

01-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I got one for my wife (I Have a K10D) so we can go shooting together and play musical lenses.

I really like it. The lack of focus point confirmation is a little bothersome, probably quite short-sighted on Pentax's part but other than that no complaints.

It feels snappier than my K10D, especially in low-light. I'm tempted to swap with her at times

- Andrew
01-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I got one for my wife (I Have a K10D) so we can go shooting together and play musical lenses.

I really like it. The lack of focus point confirmation is a little bothersome, probably quite short-sighted on Pentax's part but other than that no complaints.

It feels snappier than my K10D, especially in low-light. I'm tempted to swap with her at times

- Andrew
If you wanted anymore in a Pentax, you might as well step up to the K20 or at least the k200d. BTW, any k2000 owners buy the "white" one or even seen one up close and personal?

Barry
01-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think it's a good move by Pentax. Pentax has always been known for it's strong, robust excellent SLR's at the low end of the price scale. I still have my Asahi Pentax S1a ...1/500 of a second, no light meter I bought in 19 and sixty-eight. Still works. I also have the incomparable K1000....the everyman camera that can take a licking and keep on ticking.

The KM/K2000 joins this illustrious tradition of low priced, tough, excellent single lens reflex cameras that Pentax has been making in one form or another for decades.

01-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the main reason I think it is backfiring in Australia currently.

1) Exclusive to Ted's camera store???

2) Priced $200-$250 more than k200d price, which is what I would recommend to my friends/family if they asked..
02-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's a great move and a good camera. Viewed at 100% the jpegs may be a bit off but viewed the way regular images are they look fine.
02-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

"No, this is backfiring"???

What a silly choice. But then again, sounds like a perfect choice for uber-pessimistic drama queens.

Jason
02-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
mbh

I bought a K-M in December. I've used it A LOT since I've bought it. I've got both kit lenses, an A series 50mm f2.0 and the AF-360 flash. I bought this camera aware of the shortcomings relative to other brands and better models.

There are two things I feel everyone overlooks when they bash the K-M:

1. With what other brand are you going to get the quality/quantity of lenses at an affordable price? A mediocre body with a great lens will take better shots than a great body with a poor lens.

2. Not everyone wants/needs a big, heavy body with a million features. I wanted compact, lightweight and easy. This camera nails it for me. I wanted a camera I would use to grab-and-go. A bigger and heavier one would have been a paperweight.

I compared extensively with the Nikon D60, Canon XSI and Olympus 520. It came down to a choice between the K-M (which I in turn compared against the K200D and the price difference was insignificant) and the 520.

My brother in law bought the 520 a week later, so I have plenty of hands-on with that camera as well. Yeah, its better than the K-M but the 4/3 lens options are limited and pricy.

So - is it a great camera? Not really. Is is a great system? Yes. Would I do anything different? No.
02-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the problem in the US is that it's only available in a kit bundled with the poorly-featured AF200FG flash. I can't understand why they didn't do the two-lens combo like elsewhere in the world. Ideally with the option of a DA40mm kit — play to your strengths!
02-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #13
Inactive Account

i think it's a nice little camera

while the KM is good, i think leaving out the orientation sensor was a deal-breaker, at least for me and i opted for the k200 instead.

the k200 was also cheaper than the KM and as what mattdm said, the packaging w/ a flash and kit lens was not appealing at all.

my 2 cents

jordan
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Absolutely, the only real quibble I had with the K-M was the lack of AF point confirmation. That really, really annoyed me, because I wanted to use it to shoot Taks and other MF lenses occasionally, and I hated the MF experience without that red indicator.

Other than that, it's a great little camera - handles so well, is small but very solid feeling, very fun to shoot. I adjusted the jpegs to my taste right after I turned it on the first time, and didn't have a problem with them - a bit more noise than my K20D, but overall, the jpeg engine seemed better than my Nikon D80, which IMO has bad noise reduction implementation and blows highlights like crazy.

AF speed was improved over my K100DS and K20D. I really liked that camera, except for the &^@#%)&%! focus-lock indicator! Grrr!

Example of 'crappy' jpegs straight from the K-M:

02-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

stop shooting real pictures! We want spec sheets, innuendo, and focus charts! Everyone knows that is what is important!!!

Next thing you'll actually want to *use* the camera in question regularly...heresy!