Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Ned is the face of Pentax USA. You are publicly beating on that face because you don't like the way it looks. Hello...
Not a chance.

THIS is the face of Pentax USA.

Most people have no clue who Ned is, don't care, and don't care what he uses. Most people don't care if the president of Ford flies in a jet with a BMW engine, because most people don't have a clue who the president of Ford even is.

Just like Bloggers and the media tried to make a big deal about Roy Williams wearing a Jayhawk sticker at the finals of the NCAA tournament last year, MOST people didn't care.

If you don't have a horse in the race, cheer for whoever you'd like. What the vast majority of people are going to buy is what either has the lowest sales price, what feels the best in their hands, or what the salesman tells them to. A company shill's blog doesn't enter into it, no matter what his position is in the company.

02-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It was posted in fun

I'm just baffled by the considerable time and effort some of you are putting into tracking Ned, downloading his images and extracting the exif data for the sole purpose of feeding your righteous indignation and trying to ignite it in others.

Please ask yourself honestly, if you are so genuinely up in arms about the damage Ned is supposedly doing to the Pentax brand why are you so hell bent invested in making it so? If the brand is in fact being hurt, your evangelistic indignation is most certainly an integral part of it.

Ned is the face of Pentax USA. You are publicly beating on that face because you don't like the way it looks. Hello...
Wow, I put this thread up sort of jokingly and to show off his new PZ-1. I have always loved those transparent models, I used to have that "Visible V-8" model myself. I did not go through as much trouble as downloading and saving then reading the image data, I just used a Firefox add-on that allows you to right click an image and read the EXIF data. Pretty simple. I did it because I wanted to know what lens he used, not really what camera. But it turned out to be his Leica. So tongue in cheek I posted the final remark. I don't usually care what Ned is doing but I do like gadgets and the PZ-1 is a gadget that intrigues me.

No indignation, no browbeating, no gnashing of the teeth, nothing to see here, move along
02-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
Just like Bloggers and the media tried to make a big deal about Roy Williams wearing a Jayhawk sticker at the finals of the NCAA tournament last year, MOST people didn't care.
Looks like I am one of those "most people". I have no idea who is Roy Williams, what is that sticker and what is NCAA. Of course I don't care
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
1 second to click on a supplied link, another second to download a picture to my desktop while i was reading his blog, and a total of perhaps another 5 seconds to open the file and check the EXIF.
Considerable time and effort?
I do it they way also but there is also an add on for FireFox that allows you to click on a larger size of a photo and check the data in FireFox. For example, to see the data on Ned's pic, click on it for a larger size then run the add-on.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

02-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
. . .

No indignation, no browbeating, no gnashing of the teeth, nothing to see here, move along
Pandora"s box has been opened and can't be closed!
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Looks like I am one of those "most people". I have no idea who is Roy Williams, what is that sticker and what is NCAA. Of course I don't care
College Basketball. Roy Williams is the Coach of North Carolina, a team that lost in semifinals. He formerly coached at Kansas, and put on a Kansas sticker to support them in the finals. A very small number of people flecked at the mouth with spittle of rage that he would wear another team's logo, but most people realized if they weren't directly competing in that particular game, it's okay to support more than one team.

Kinda like how Pentax doesn't have a super high point and show, so it's okay to appreciate a different brand's model
02-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

EXACTLY! Pentax has NO full frame dslr either...

Alot of people love the Leica Red Dot. Me, I'd like to know which full frame dslr Ned would buy and blog about?

His pick, C,S,&N ?

Canon, Sony, & Nikon

Really to be fair, shouldn't he buy a 5D Mark II, Sony A900, & Nikon D700:

The three most affordable and current full frame dslrs & I'd add a dslr market segment Pentax does not compete in & Pentax has openly said they do not plan to compete in the future.

Me, I really like my old tech from 2005 era Canon 5D but my buying a Nikon D700 last month brand new was EYEOPENING. Clearly its superior to Canon 5D build wise. I know D700 is a consumer dslr but it sure seems pro caliber to me. Most of the Canon made lenes I own are more expensive in Nikon Mount, like 24-70mm 2.8 is $400 more than I paid. 70-200mm 2.8 IS costs $300 more. So I don't see ditching Eos for Nikon. But that D700 is an incredible camera and perfect to drive my 14-24mm 2.8 ED.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote

Kinda like how Pentax doesn't have a super high point and show, so it's okay to appreciate a different brand's model
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Alot of people love the Leica Red Dot. Me, I'd like to know which full frame dslr Ned would buy and blog about?

His pick, C,S,&N ?

Canon, Sony, & Nikon

Really to be fair, shouldn't he buy a 5D Mark II, Sony A900, & Nikon D700:

The three most affordable and current full frame dslrs & I'd add a dslr market segment Pentax does not compete in & Pentax has openly said they do not plan to compete in the future.

Me, I really like my old tech from 2005 era Canon 5D but my buying a Nikon D700 last month brand new was EYEOPENING. Clearly its superior to Canon 5D build wise. I know D700 is a consumer dslr but it sure seems pro caliber to me. Most of the Canon made lenes I own are more expensive in Nikon Mount, like 24-70mm 2.8 is $400 more than I paid. 70-200mm 2.8 IS costs $300 more. So I don't see ditching Eos for Nikon. But that D700 is an incredible camera and perfect to drive my 14-24mm 2.8 ED.
Sorry but I get the impression you seem to like talking more about your non-Pentax gear... this on a Pentax forum. I don't think we need to know your rationale or thought process for using other brands. With so much great gear in your collection perhaps it would good if you could share some of the nice pictures you've taken with them.

02-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don't care for the camera, but I wouldn't mind having that F series zoom. it looks bitchin' in clear plastic.
I have one, but it's in boring, old black plastic.

It is a great little travel lens. I used it quite a bit while recently on vacation in Cuba.
02-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #40

I think the black buttons ruin the look of the camera. If the buttons are also in clear or translucent color then its the most badass looking SLR.
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Wow, I put this thread up sort of jokingly ...
Hey, I appreciated the OP and snickered at the final dig. I just objected to it spiraling into what, the fourth or fifth kill Ned thread?

I saw a couple of positive comments about Pentax on camera blogs recently, one of them keyed on this thread. That was a nice change. Now all of those blogs are commenting on the hand full of people here who don't believe their positive comments were warranted.

If, and it's a very big if, but if Ned shooting with a Leica does in fact hurt the Pentax brand it will be in large part because of the consistent negative attention this forum has drawn. That would not be entirely Ned's fault.
02-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

If, and it's a very big if, but if Ned shooting with a Leica does in fact hurt the Pentax brand it will be in large part because of the consistent negative attention this forum has drawn. That would not be entirely Ned's fault.

He's a photographer, and as such, he should be shooting with whatever floats his boat.
However, he is also the president of Pentax USA, and as such shouldn't be pimping cameras from other companies.
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #43
Veteran Member

The Canadian that posted to Ned's blog about the exif data in his images of the PZ-1 brought far more attention to his Leica in that post than Ned. Same thing in this thread that started out as a post about that really cool Pentax. Now all we are talking about is Ned and his Leica - again. There's more than one way to pimp a camera.

Ned is obviously going to keep shooting with his Leica so you have to decide if you are going to continue drawing negative attention to it, but you are fooling yourself if you think it's helpful to anyone, especially you. You're not spitting in Ned's face, you are spitting into the wind. The longer you keep it up, the wetter and madder you are going to get. That won't make Pentax a better company and it won't make you a better photographer. It will continue to irritate a few of us that feel like we are constantly getting hit by the overspray.
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I don't even know who YOU guys are LOL but i'm here for Pentax info the post regarding Ned and his new camera is just that.