Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
Samsung should aquire Pentax from Hoya and put real money and effort into it or they could buy the rights to lets say Yashica/Contax which were well respected and grow them (the glass from them was Ziess designed). They should not market cameras under their own brand because that is not what they are known for and it will make it a much harder sell.
Samsung will never keep Pentax name if they buy them.

02-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I'm not learned on this, but I've read that all the Samsung lenses are rebadged Pentax. Perhaps Schneider is limited to assembly in these regards. For example, Voigtlander as a company still exists, but its Cosina that produce all the high quality reissues of vintage photography equipment these days.
K.
Yes all are rebadged to Scheider-Kreuznach (which really is just a name put on it) axcept the 16-45 which for same reasons is a Samsung lens.

Samsung has not even an orginial design or rebadge from somewhere else than Pentax.
02-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #33
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Korean forum I see that K30D
will have 3" LCD, VF 100% х 1.00, 1080 video, CMOS sensor.
I think better LV.

I doubt 17 MP APS-C.

What about new AF system ?
02-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
In Korean forum I see that K30D
will have 3" LCD, VF 100% х 1.00, 1080 video, CMOS sensor.
I think better LV.

I doubt 17 MP APS-C.

What about new AF system ?
Where you got that information?

I am Korean, but I haven't seen that infos.

Give me URL, I'll check it.

02-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miriya Quote
Where you got that information?

I am Korean, but I haven't seen that infos.

Give me URL, I'll check it.
I think Ogl might be referring to this:

삼포 ::: 삼성 DSLR 사용자 포럼 ::: 사람 > 사진 > 장비 :::

I saw it referenced on dpreview, where someone also said that the link says they are aiming to compete with the D90. Although a 100% VF would be a significant feature above the D90...
02-04-2009, 03:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who will make lenses for FF Samsung camera?
I don't have a clear answer to that, but surely Schneider-Kreuznach must still be having some optical expertise left? Or they could buy some designs from Tokina and Pentax, and manufacture them in Korea.

It is logical to believe that Tokina is developing 24x36 lenses for Canon, Nikon and Sony. So re-branding them to Schneider-Kreuznach for the K-mount would work I believe. Question is when they are going to be available.
02-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I'm not learned on this, but I've read that all the Samsung lenses are rebadged Pentax. Perhaps Schneider is limited to assembly in these regards.
The deal is that Samsung is allowed, for a "small fee" of course, to use the Schneider-Kreuznach name on lenses that meets or exceeds some image quality criterias set by Schneider.

Schenider is not involved in designing or manufacturing the lenses.
02-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Samsung will never keep Pentax name if they buy them.
True, and there is no reason to buy Pentax.
Pentax is a partner to Samsung, that is enough. They have no need for Pentax as a brand name or their factories.

02-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
Samsung should aquire Pentax from Hoya and put real money and effort into it or they could buy the rights to lets say Yashica/Contax which were well respected and grow them (the glass from them was Ziess designed). They should not market cameras under their own brand because that is not what they are known for and it will make it a much harder sell.
On the other hand, if the name on the pop-up flash spells "Samsung" it is pretty much marketing for the whole company. I don't really understand why Panasonic created the sub-brand Lumix for their cameras. Ok, it's shorter so they can use larger letters on the camera, but that to the price of using a completely unknown brand and missing the opportunity to promote the Panasonic brand.

Sony made it in the DSLR market (at least according to latest market share figures) using their own name. The difference is that Sony market their cameras a lot, whereas Samsung......well, I can't say I have seen much marketing for their DSLRs at all.

/Tommy
02-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
I don't really understand why Panasonic created the sub-brand Lumix for their cameras.
Well, this is what those guys are famous for

Konosuke Matsushita founded Matsushita and used brand names like Panasonic, Technics, ... . It is only last year or so they dropped Matsushita and renamed the corporation into Panasonic ...
02-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
On the other hand, if the name on the pop-up flash spells "Samsung" it is pretty much marketing for the whole company. I don't really understand why Panasonic created the sub-brand Lumix for their cameras. Ok, it's shorter so they can use larger letters on the camera, but that to the price of using a completely unknown brand and missing the opportunity to promote the Panasonic brand.

Sony made it in the DSLR market (at least according to latest market share figures) using their own name. The difference is that Sony market their cameras a lot, whereas Samsung......well, I can't say I have seen much marketing for their DSLRs at all.

/Tommy
About "Lumix", it's the same reason Sony make "Bravia" TV and "Walkman" phones. Panasonic is not as good at the flashy sub brand game as Sony.
02-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
About "Lumix", it's the same reason Sony make "Bravia" TV and "Walkman" phones. Panasonic is not as good at the flashy sub brand game as Sony.
Or Canon for that matter. I would think any average Joe can recognize the Powershot and Ixus brands.
02-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
True, and there is no reason to buy Pentax.
Pentax is a partner to Samsung, that is enough. They have no need for Pentax as a brand name or their factories.
I don't think the exchange rates are in Samsung's favour right now. Until recently I worked for an investment bank -- that bank was suggesting to its clientele was that now is a great time for Yen-rich firms to snap up their Korean-listed competitors due to the soaring Yen and much-degraded Korean currency. I very much doubt that Samsung would pay a premium for a Japanese camera manufacturer at the beginning of a recession.

But then again, I'm just an IT guy. ;u)
02-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
Yes, but the difference is that the Sony DSLRs doesn't have the word "CyberShot" printed on the pop-up flash. Bravia TVs also have the name Sony as a main name on the front. If you look on a Panasonic camera it's almost as if Lumix is the main brand and if you look closer you might find the "sub-brand" Panasonic somewhere on the camera.

As if they were ashamed of the name or something...

/Tommy
02-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #45

It would be nice to see two, independant brands producing cameras and lenses with the same mount (and completely compatibile ) like in the old days when besides Pentax, Ricoh, Chinon and Cosina were manufacturing K Mount cameras and lenses (besides the "traditional" lens makers like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Hoya, Kiron, etc....). . In those times you had much more choices to choose from.
The same I wish for Fuji with the F Nikon mount (not only a rebadged Nikon camera with Nikkor lenses) and , why not, for Kodak. More competition brings better cameras (and lenses) to the consumer