Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Rumors from South Korea(2)

In South Korean huge DSLR forum, 'SLRclub'

hard discusion about RAW images and image processor,

J. Eternity, he actually working about 2D/3D GFX/OSD, not CIS/ISP(he said 'S*****' company)

he said "in RAW image, DiGiC II,III,IV specs are meaningless"

SLR?? Canon D ??? ??

in this discusion, he said "Korean FF will be comming soon"

»ïÆ÷ ::: »ï¼º DSLR »ç¿ëÀÚ Æ÷·³ ::: »ç¶÷ > »çÁø > Àåºñ :::

here is another rumor. Samsung LSI engineer,

he said "35mm CMOS Prototype is flowing around Samsung LSI now".

CMOS sensor for K20D is producing at Samsung 0.13um/200mm wafer old line.

but this prototype is investigate to produce at 65nm line.
(just investigate, if 65nm produce, launce date will be delayed 1year.)

maybe Pentax FF?

Single Run Wafer's T.A.T is every 2~3month, verfy/improve job is repeating 3~10 times..

so late 2009 or 2010, Pentax will launce FF I think.

02-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many MP?
02-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #3

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung did something like this.....they've gone from a brand that wasn't very popular to one of the big players in most of the product segments they are active in. Maybe it's unrealistic to think that they would instantly pass Nikon and Canon in terms of SLR market share, but I'm surprised they haven't done more to stop Sony. Together with Pentax and the K-mount,
they had (and still have, IMO) a great opportunity to do be very successful.

I had expected Samsung to fill the market with their own DSLR's, Samsung branded Pentax DSLRs (as they have now), both APS-C and FF....and maybe in the near future some kind of micro-K-mount system. I thought they had that kind of cash and that kind of interest in market shares.

But maybe DSLR development is more difficult and risky than I can imagine

/Tommy
02-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

FF rumors from Samsung are contradictory.

Samsung stated in beginning of 2008 that they were working on a FF sensor. But they also stated on Photokina that they have no FF plan at the moment (if I remember correctly)

However, having Samsung releasing a FF camera before Pentax would make a lot of sense.
1. Samsung failed so far to establish brand recognition as an actor in DSLR market. Samsung's DSLRs are rip-off of Pentax cameras and are considered so.
2. The purpose of Samsung is to be a "new" Sony IMO, so having them copying their relationship with Pentax with the relationship that Sony have with Nikon would be logic.

However, we must take these rumors which a truck of salt, a lot of Pentaxian (or would it be better to say "K-moutian" ? ) desesperatly want to see a FF body for their system. Lets wait and see.

Regards,
Guillaume

Last edited by ghelary; 02-03-2009 at 08:49 AM.
02-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #5

I am hoping for a high ISO sensor, not a high mp sensor. But 65nm process sound like a high mp sensor to me.
02-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought Samsung releasing FF would make more sense as well. They'd have to produce a 24-70 lens and 70-200 in their own brand though (rebadged Sigma?) but it could be doable.
It probably depends how much they're hurting from the recession. It's definitely not the right time to go after Sony right now...
02-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

good stuff, we need more ninjas to scourage info such as this.

02-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I am hoping for a high ISO sensor, not a high mp sensor. But 65nm process sound like a high mp sensor to me.
Traditionally, Pentax digital imaging products generally seem to favour resolution over other considerations, bringing big dollar MP to the masses. At pentax body release rate, it would seem unlikely they would deviate to produce a sensor aiming to beat down ISO at the expense of topping out the MP. One never knows, but predictively, I would rate this development as unlikely.
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I thought Samsung releasing FF would make more sense as well. They'd have to produce a 24-70 lens and 70-200 in their own brand though (rebadged Sigma?) but it could be doable.
It probably depends how much they're hurting from the recession. It's definitely not the right time to go after Sony right now...
Many consider the fps, af and ISO performance to be wanting in the current high water mark (GX20, K20), and is this really a high enough watermark to begin with? Changing all of this, adding FF and keeping up with the Joneses (HD video w/audio in? HDMI? High resolution 3" back screen? improved viewfinder?) would seem to be a tall order. So do they wait in the weeds? Or perhaps produce a new price point of entry level FF? I suggest they set an example in a market more insulated from recession considerations.

There are worse things than starting somewhere near the top and working your way down, all the while still building up from the bottom. Sony understood this by building an A900 before filling in every entry level market niche occupied by Canikon or others. Smaller form factor is an interesting segment, but its not a professional segment. Its important to have an upgrade path, to have high end product(s) that meet the demands of people who require/benefit from the extra costs involved. If people are naturally progressing into your competitors product line, you need to consider putting a cork in your bottle. I truely think it would be a solid move for Samsung/Pentax to stop this customer bleed by putting out a MkI killer. Something so obviously pro that all Pentax owners are able to entrench their pride knowing their camera company is solid to the top of the food chain and not doomed to bottom feed.

If would be hard to get pro's to just switch because you now had a MkI equivalent too, though stopping the decline in market share alone would be nice. Perhaps in line with Hoyas outdoor emphasis, this camera is much smaller than the MkI, with an optional grip. Weather PROOF. With SR in-body, you now have a camera that outdoor photographers are forced to consider from all other brands.

And my little dream? That they've already done this and have not announced it because otherwise Canikon would cover the base almost as soon as they could get it out. But I digress, my faith in this actually happening anytime soon (or at all) is fairly obvious in light of recent events, lol.

K.
02-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Traditionally, Pentax digital imaging products generally seem to favour resolution over other considerations, bringing big dollar MP to the masses. At pentax body release rate, it would seem unlikely they would deviate to produce a sensor aiming to beat down ISO at the expense of topping out the MP. One never knows, but predictively, I would rate this development as unlikely.
I agree - and I think it's this exact same argument that will lead us to have a digital MF Pentax before we ever see a FF dSLR.
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I heard from a Samsung rep, that they will be heavily into the DSLR field in the next year, but unsure about what exactly they will be working on.
02-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

To me it makes sense with Samsung entering 24x36 and micro APS-C, leaving Pentax with APS-C and medium format digital. By concentrating on different markets, they an position there cameras to different consumers and avoid competiting with the same customers with essentially the same products.

Things like imaging processors, autofocus and metering systems, live-view technology, flash systems etc. could still be co-developed and used by the two partners.
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I agree. The K20D sensor is pretty much like this. However I am hoping they have their version of pixel combining technology to improve the low light performance. There is still a chance that Pentax release a 20mp-ish FF body in 09/10 that's cheaper than the on going 1-2 year old D700. Nikon gear is not cheap.
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for bringing attention to the info, and providing what the links are about.

But the first link, has the headline Canon D.

What does LSI stand for in regard to Samsung ?

I want a high spec’d top model APS-C crop, like a K2 model Pro model, more than I want a FF.

But a FF could be a nice second cam, if weight wouldn’t be a disadvantage for me, depending on the shooting situation.
Crop DSLR will always be a first for me. A FF model could be fun for ultra-wide angle, but not really needed. The tele-factor of crop is more important to me.

But should FF come, it seems it would be from Samsung. I think they more look at it as a fun challenge; to show how they can produce a great FF sensor. It would only have interest for me, if they keep MP down, (like Nikon started out with).

Whereas Pentax will be more crop and Medium Format. Pentax stayed a long time with 6 MP, so they do not seem necessary to go for top MP. But futureproofing the Samsung 14.6 MP instead, by starting out this high. It can always be refined, and worked on.
02-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
To me it makes sense with Samsung entering 24x36 and micro APS-C, leaving Pentax with APS-C and medium format digital. By concentrating on different markets, they an position there cameras to different consumers and avoid competiting with the same customers with essentially the same products.

Things like imaging processors, autofocus and metering systems, live-view technology, flash systems etc. could still be co-developed and used by the two partners.
Who will make lenses for FF Samsung camera?