Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reminder: be nice to new posters!

I've seen quite a few hostile messages in response to rumor threads started by relatively new posters. I know we've got a history here of some craziness surrounding rumor-mongers, but new Pentaxians coming here don't know about all of that should be treated with friendliness and with respect. The tagline up there on the logo says "Friendly Pentax Discussion Community". Let's keep it that way.

02-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yup, it a good point
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

+2............. my .02
02-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Well said Matt, new members need a chance to settle in.

02-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

nah, we should all burn them in eternal hell fire...

that said, what's the cut-off for being a "new" poster - since i only joined "recently" in December :P
02-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote

that said, what's the cut-off for being a "new" poster - since i only joined "recently" in December :P
You'll be burning in hell before you reach that level.
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I've seen quite a few hostile messages in response to rumor threads started by relatively new posters.
Wait a minute.
I agree with you when it comes to ask "stupid" questions and the like.
But somebody fresh creating threads with stone age old news as rumor is troll-like behaviour. I still agree he must be treated in a friendly manner. But he must be treated

02-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Wait a minute.
I agree with you when it comes to ask "stupid" questions and the like.
But somebody fresh creating threads with stone age old news as rumor is troll-like behaviour. I still agree he must be treated in a friendly manner. But he must be treated
treated... with FIRE!
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote

Considering I've been here for about fifteen months and have far fewer posts than you, I'd say you're likely safe.
02-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agreed.

Now about old news, it is difficult to know if someone just doesn't know all that bout news and just found out that old info or is trolling.

We should give'em the nebefit of the doubt till proven wrong IMO. At least, responding gently should be an option, no ?
02-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Be grateful for Pentax newbies ... at least they saw the light and bought Pentax.
The more the merrier I say.
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Forum Member

Hmmm,what an interesting concept and novel idea .As a long time lurker and fellow Pentaxian I recently received an email asking to join in or risk being removed or something similar.I chose to introduce myself after some thought and even made an attempt at a post that I felt could contain info for thought and invite discussion on the topic.I did hesitate in doing so as being a "lurker"I could follow the different discussions without some of the bashing I have seen here by some and but not all.I for one feel we should all be tolerant and accepting of others and their views without getting personal especially considering this is a public forum viewed world wide,criticism and differences can be addressed with respect and many examples here and elsewhere can be found so I know it is possible if not an important part of forum life.
Now I overcame my fears of not being accepted and posted hoping to engage others in conversation and make a few friends and become a part of the Pentax Forum here,not a big part mind you as I am a bizzy guy like many I am sure.

But being newbie comes with some reservations,example my post last evening:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49918-lensalig...tion-k20d.html

73 views on something I felt may be received well here and spark some conversation(and I still hold out hope for some)but only 1 response.So where did I go wrong I began to think,did I post in the wrong section?Nobody likes me?Maybe all the views are from lurkers that are scared to respond?Not really interested in a new product used with the K20D?My writing style is not appealing to others so I am ignored? or even worse.I don't want to appear to be overly sensitive here but I was hoping for something more,you know,get up and see my my want to be new friends with something interesting to say but I hold out hope and remain optimistic!
I could go on as you can see.I wanted to add something that maybe useful to others(often ones perception may not be reality).
There is a bright side as I did not get "bashed" or "nitpicked"or" trashed" so I will go thru my day with that knowing I at least did not offend 73 of you!

So what is your advice to me to be accepted here and maybe find a friend and have a chance to show my witty nature and share in the Pentax experience like many here and some how as many that are members here I may not be the only one that may feel this way.Maybe I could be expecting too much.

I will allow for some time here to see if I will fit in but can't help but feel a little left out.I am doing the best I can to extend the hand of friendship here looking to the wiser ones for some guidance and don't want to find myself with"posters remorse" and go back to lurking and remains an option.
Some how I feel this post may get more of a response than my other ones but I could be wrong....

Thank you for your time and have a great day....
02-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not only that

I've seen quite a few hostile messages in response to rumor threads started by relatively new posters. I know we've got a history here of some craziness surrounding rumor-mongers, but new Pentaxians coming here don't know about all of that should be treated with friendliness and with respect. The tagline up there on the logo says "Friendly Pentax Discussion Community". Let's keep it that way.
Agree totally, and

I think people should be nice no matter what their status is... veteran or new.

C
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Motorman Quote
...So what is your advice to me to be accepted here and maybe find a friend and have a chance to show my witty nature and share in the Pentax experience like many here and some how as many that are members here I may not be the only one that may feel this way...
In answer to your question and in my opinion? By doing exactly as you have done

Sorry, didn't respond to post properly.

Yes, yes and thrice yes. It's one of the things that sets this forum apart from so many others.

Last edited by HouseOfHorla; 02-04-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: didn't respond to post properly
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

rumors are nice, but should be kept in line and not get out of hand

if these new pentaxians go straight into the rumors section and start posting useless junk, i see no problem in keeping them in line.

forums are like newspapers, read first, respond later.

if you're unsure, start a thread by saying "i'm sorry if this has been brought up before" or "i couldnt find the answers i wanted through the search function"

people that start threads with words and phrases that indicate like they just stumbled on a goldmine, first hand, never before seen information, like they know everyone here, as if they have credability, with little to no supporting subject body, and just post a link with smiley faces, need a slap to the back of the head.

dont be an idiot and you'll be treated with respect.

being friendly to everyone for no other reason than to be friendly, is creepy, and quite honestly, very naive.

maybe its just the way i was raised, when i did something stupid and people told me i was an idiot, i didnt get angry, i would work hard to a) udnerstand why i made the mistake and b) try to never make it again. It seems i was one of the few.